Carbide Cannon+crappy neighbors=Sheriff visit...(from a cool Sheriff)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Carbide finally came on yesterday and after several test shots, we got it figured out. The thing is loud and puts a decent fireball out of the barrel.

Most of the people on our street are awsome, this cannon was built by myself and a neighbor from accross the street. Most of them thought this thing was cool....except for one.

They put a call into the Sheriff's office and luckily the officer who came out was very cool.

He pulls up and calmly walks up stating (in somewhat disbelief) that he got a call about someone shooting off a cannon...

To his relief I told him it was not a black powder cannon and that it does not fire a projectile at which point he said "good, that's all I was checking for". He liked the cannon and thought it was cool...and was relieved when we told him we were done firing it for the night.

He said when the call came through on the dispatch that there was a report of a cannon being fired, another officer on the radio said "Only in America".:patriot:.

He told us to stay safe and have a good night.

So thank you Sheriff for being a stand up Officer.

Daytime below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljeYQrug7TM

And nighttime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBKiT8dXGt4

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    that is neat. You counted to 25 on the daytime test, was that counting how long the fuse burned? Did it perform at the expected burn rate?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Carbide finally came on yesterday and after several test shots, we got it figured out. The thing is loud and puts a decent fireball out of the barrel.

Most of the people on our street are awsome, this cannon was built by myself and a neighbor from accross the street. Most of them thought this thing was cool....except for one.

They put a call into the Sheriff's office and luckily the officer who came out was very cool.

He pulls up and calmly walks up stating (in somewhat disbelief) that he got a call about someone shooting off a cannon...

Tp his relief I told him it was not a black powder cannon and that it does not fire a projectile at which point he said "good, that's all I was checking for". He liked the cannon and thought it was cool...and was relieved when we told him we were done firing it for the night.

He said when the call came through on the dispatch that there was a report of a cannon being fired, another officer on the radio said "Only in America".:patriot:.

He told us to stay safe and have a good night.

So thank you Sheriff for being a stand up Officer.

Daytime below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljeYQrug7TM

And nighttime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBKiT8dXGt4

You're my new hero Mr Gummer :yesway:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    that is neat. You counted to 25 on the daytime test, was that counting how long the fuse burned? Did it perform at the expected burn rate?

We used a propane grill igniter instead of a fuse. Once the carbide is put in the water, it starts releasing Acetylene gas. The 25 seconds allowed time for the right amount of gas to me made for the biggest boom...it took several test shots to figure that out.

It was louder than expected.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom