• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Is it legal to mount a holster the center console and put your firearm in there while your driving? That way its easy to get to if needed and be more comfortable while driving. Thoughts? If so how did u go about doing it? Pics?
    Thanx

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think you'd be better off just using a plain holster. Get a comfortable one, and you can adjust it after you sit so it's easier to grab while your buckled into your seat. I experimented different positions so I'm still comfortable and where my gun is easy to get to if needed.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Is it legal to mount a holster the center console and put your firearm in there while your driving? That way its easy to get to if needed and be more comfortable while driving. Thoughts? If so how did u go about doing it? Pics?
    Thanx

Legal? As long as you have your LTCH, yes. Indiana law makes no mention of the manner in which a handgun must be carried; this is often brought up in CC/OC debates, but it is relevant here, too.

Advisable? I'll leave that to others to discuss.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanx

I have a holster hard-mounted to the drivers-side center console in my personal truck, it works very well, it is at my fingertips while driving and the truck is tall enough, no one is going to see it next to me unless thye play in the NBA.

I also have a comfortable shoulder rig for long days in the company trucks, it also allows for easy reach while driving.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I often wear a cross-draw holster or shoulder rig on days I will be spending a lot of time in my car. Actually, the cross draw works very well while seated in any chair but needs a vest or jacket for concealment. I haven't figured out a way to draw form a strong side holster while seated in a car. I also have a fanny pack that works like a cross-draw and an alternate. Made by Hawk-pack, it will hold a full size 1911 easily yet looks too small to do so.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I have a SA gear poly holster mounted in my center console for those long drives, and it works quite well. I confess to having an advantage in these situations....I am left handed! That means I can open the console with my weak side hand, and draw the pistol with the strong side hand. For a lefty, the holster mounted in the side pocket works as well.The seat belt is no hinderance in either case. One of the few situations I thought being a lefty was any advantage. Heck, being a lefty even limits your holster selection! :rolleyes:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    We use to mount a holster at the bottom of the steering wheel column with longer hose clamps in our trucks. Kept it handy and out of the way while driving. This was a number of years ago. Not sure how it would work with the newer cars and trucks.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    legally you could duct tape it to your forehead if you wish.
    As long as you have your ltch there are no laws as to where and how it's in your vehicle in Indiana.[/quote

sorry. i was lmao. thinking of someone with duck holding, thier holster to there forehead. good one!!

Last edited:

SheriffMedic95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Indiana
    It is perfectly legal if you have your permit, but if you get pulled over make sure you don't reach near it or you might have another firearm in your face! I use a blackhawk paddle holster, took off paddle and used existing holes to mount under my steering wheel. It is in a great spot and can't see it from the outside.

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    I carry on my left side and find the seat belt hinders my gun less than it does my cell phone that is on my right side.
    Might be an advantage for us (at least with the seat belt in my F250).

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    I carry on my left side and find the seat belt hinders my gun less than it does my cell phone that is on my right side.
    Might be an advantage for us (at least with the seat belt in my F250).

possibly, but i feel like i'm at a disadvantage if a BG approaches from the driver's side. it's an awkward to draw as if someone were at the door, unless i'm going about it all wrong. if the BG was at the passenger door, then i can get the extension. i don't know if any of that makes sense...

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I took a inexpensive elastic ankle holster and stretched it over my drivers side sun visor with the holster on top when visor is folded up. There I place my LCP when driving so all I have to do is drop the visor for a quick draw if needed. Since the pistol is so thin, you can't even tell it's there when the visor is up.

headhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Columbia City
    I took a inexpensive elastic ankle holster and stretched it over my drivers side sun visor with the holster on top when visor is folded up. There I place my LCP when driving so all I have to do is drop the visor for a quick draw if needed. Since the pistol is so thin, you can't even tell it's there when the visor is up.

Huh, that's quite ingenious. Wouldn't have thought of that. I've been trying to find a good way to mount a holster for my XD40sc. My usual 5 o'clock carry doesn't work so well when driving.

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    Thanx

A friend of mine bought a couple of these at the Indy 1500. He has it screwed into his center console. It's a magnet and makes for quick, easy access.

FAST Holster

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    the FAST would be good in the car... I plan to put a holster on the front/bottom of my driver's seat between/beneath my legs. completely invisible from the outside, but perfectly accessible if I need it.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    the FAST would be good in the car... I plan to put a holster on the front/bottom of my driver's seat between/beneath my legs. completely invisible from the outside, but perfectly accessible if I need it.

Which direction will you orient it? Are you pointing at the back seat, towards the passenger seat, or towards the driver's door?

Top Bottom