• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't leave my guns in my truck overnight but on a quick trip into a store last year my locked truck was broken into , and a hidden , loaded .45 was stolen from me .

So NO , I don't think their should be penalties for "allowing " it to happen , any more than I think people should be banned for not thinking before they post .

:D:yesway:

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    IndyRoadie is spot on. While I will take it to and from work with me, I won't carry at work.

The P32 was my car gun, something that I can keep in there and easily take from my car and stick in my back pocket if I'm not carrying something larger concealed at the time.

It's always there, just like the gun in the lockbox in my nightstand.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Sorry to hear it. Thats why i don't leave weapons in my car. How do you feel about arming the bad guys? That has always been the main reason I do not leave stuff in my car. Also, do you think there should be legal penalties for allowing such a thing to happen?

Guy steps out from a blind doorway and smacks you in the head with a baseball bat. You wake up finding not only your money gone but you handgun.

What kind of jail time do you think you deserve for allowing this to happen?

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    You may want to post as many places as you can on the gun you lost,serial numbers and make and model cos Impd will not help yopu in any way.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You may want to post as many places as you can on the gun you lost,serial numbers and make and model cos Impd will not help yopu in any way.
    I've seen your posting about your burglary. You were given good advise to follow up with, move along. We will take your OPINION under advisement. Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Sorry to hear it. That's why i don't leave weapons in my car. How do you feel about arming the bad guys? That has always been the main reason I do not leave stuff in my car. Also, do you think there should be legal penalties for allowing such a thing to happen?

The same could (and has) happened at residences. The best thing that can be done is lock your doors and set your alarm :twocents:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I do feel bad for your vehicle being broken in to but securing your belongings (weapons) is a personal responsibility. Any failure in securing weapons is the same as handing them over to a criminal that would break into a vehicle or home. For those who disagree with me, you should evaluate your security. It makes me a bit uneasy that there are so many unsecured weapons. And we wonder where criminals get their weapons....... I would check into a lock box for the car and a safe for the house.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I do feel bad for your vehicle being broken in to but securing your belongings (weapons) is a personal responsibility. Any failure in securing weapons is the same as handing them over to a criminal that would break into a vehicle or home. For those who disagree with me, you should evaluate your security. It makes me a bit uneasy that there are so many unsecured weapons. And we wonder where criminals get their weapons....... I would check into a lock box for the car and a safe for the house.

Again I ask, what is your responsibility if you are blind sided and your firearm is stolen? You wake up with your firearm and billfold missing. What is your punishment for being careless?

We have to remember we are not all perfect. Things happen. I just got done reading about a guy that build a firearm from scrap metal and a few tools. Maybe not a glock or 1911 but a working firearm. It can be do.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    We can all be "blindsided". I am not saying that everyone (or myself) is perfect. I am just noting that an unattended/unsecured weapon is the result of poor decision making and is a failure in responsible ownership. Things happen. They happen all the time but proper planning and preparation are steps that can be taken to limit X factors. If I am wrong then there would be no need for safes, locks on doors, alarms or lock boxes. As far as penalties, loosing a weapon(s) and knowing that you supplied a criminal(s) with a tool to further their activities should be enough. Hopefully reporting the serial number to Law Enforcement and informing pawn shops and weapons dealers will help stop this person(s), should they try to sell the stolen weapon through commercial channels.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I would check into a lock box for the car and a safe for the house.

Safes...big deal. So you have weapons in a safe in your home. I come across information about you, about your guns, and about your forth coming trip out-of-town. Do you have an alarm? What kind of safe do you have? What do we require before victims of crimes are no longer responsible for their theft? If you don't have an alarm system, or a cellular back-up (if I cut the phone line), then all one has to do is wait till most folks leave work. With the right tools, any safe can be cut into. As far as lock boxes in a car, most are worthless. Again, with time and a plan, they can be mine in short order.

We can all be "blindsided". I am not saying that everyone (or myself) is perfect. Things happen. They happen all the time but proper planning and preparation are steps that can be taken to limit X factors.

Do you lock-up your kitchen knives? Did you remove all the breakable glass from your car and replace it with unbreakable storm glass? I mean surely one doesn't just drive a car around somewhere, park it, and leave it so a criminal can break into it, hot wire it, and then use it in a criminal act.

These things happen. When we start demanding more responsibility, the government will gladly mandate that responsibility: Trigger locks, lock boxes, extra insurance, etc.

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    The past few day's I've been thinking about what happened and what I'll be doing in the future.

I'm definitely purchasing a lock box for the vehicle. While it won't be as secure as my safe at home, it should prevent a smash and grab type scenario. This also means that I will not be carrying and leaving in the car until the lock box is in place. I'll chalk the first one up as a lesson, but I won't let it happen again.

It also means that I'm going to have modify my routines and keep the "gadget" type stuff out of view while they are in my car. It's a pain but it's worth avoiding this happening again.

I'm not sure of how I'm going to mount the lock box, but I'm thinking about placing the lockbox into the glove box. The gun vault may just fit, and if that's the case it's best case. My other option would be one from center of mass central like this: In Car Gun Safe . Anyone have any experience with these?

Regards

{EDIT}
    I actually just ordered the safe from Center of Mass. May move to another solution in the future, but after doing a little research it looks like there are quite a few people that are happy with this thing.

Last edited:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Mr. Mysterious. I am not attacking you. We are all human and bad things happen to us all. I am sorry this happened to you and am glad you are taking steps to make yourself a harder target.

I have been looking at these for some time, as they have a hard mount and do not use a cable that could be cut with bolt cutters.
    Vehicle Security Lock Box

I also like that they could be put under a seat and out of sight. I looked at the center mass car safes but I really do not like the idea that they could cut the cable and then break it open in their lair. With the other they can steal the car, but that is a little easier to find then a small box.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Sucky news.. sorry to hear this. Report the gun stolen and hopefully it will turn up.

My brother lives in Pittsburgh PA and a fews years ago someone broke into his aprtment and stole a bunch of stuff and his Bersa .380. He reported it to the police and about 6-8 months later he recieved a call that it turned up in a crime scene in Arizona. They asked if he wanted it back and he told them they probably oughta just keep it. Guess he didn't want a gun with a history. Scary how far the underground market can go.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My brother lives in Pittsburgh PA and a fews years ago someone broke into his aprtment and stole a bunch of stuff and his Bersa .380. He reported it to the police and about 6-8 months later he recieved a call that it turned up in a crime scene in Arizona. They asked if he wanted it back and he told them they probably oughta just keep it. Guess he didn't want a gun with a history. Scary how far the underground market can go.

He didn't want his Bersa back??? :crying:

In all seriousness though, wow, PA to AZ. See, gun laws could have prevented this...uhm....nope!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Not going to say the company name, but this was unusual for our property. Especially since my car was in front of the front door of the business.

I'm locating a camera to the parking lot, and guess who's car it will be pointing at?

Anyone have any suggestions on a vehicle pistol lockbox? I guess that the locked glove box just doesn't work.

My suspicion is that my car will probably be hit in the next month or so to see if I've restocked it with more loot for them to steal.

I plan on keeping this car less than another year, so I won't be putting a car alarm in it, but my next will have one. A really loud and sensitive one.

Hmmm.... you truly ARE mysterious!!! :D

Top Bottom