Candidates for the best REAL pocket gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    be interesting to se the same math using a 32 acp or 380 acp fired out of an itty bitty 2 inch barrel.

I'm getting approx. 1050 fps from 90 gr XTP's out of my P238 .380 and I believe that equates to somewhere around 200+ ft lbs of energy. So, 7 shots in the ear would probably be messy.

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I've carried in my front pants pocket every day for the last four years first with a ruger lc9, then a sig p238, and now for the last 2 years a sig p938. To me the p938 is the perfect balance of size, weight, power, accuracy and capacity

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Any of the alloy "Centennial" J-frames. Especially, the 340PD and M&P340. But, the 442 and 642 work too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    be interesting to se the same math using a 32 acp or 380 acp fired out of an itty bitty 2 inch barrel.

I don't know how the math works out, but they make a lot more mess in suicides. The .25 often doesn't exit the skull even on a temple to temple shot and I've never seen an under the chin shot exit. We've seen under the chin shots fail to penetrate to the brain and fail to incapacitate the person. The .32 doesn't always exit, but generally does if temple to temple and routinely fractures the skull if under the chin. The skin may hold it together, but its in pieces when the autopsy is done. The .380 is a fairly popular suicide gun for some reason, and the one I've seen the most of. I've never seen a temple shot that didn't come out the other side. I've seen some under the chin shots that stayed in or were stuck in the skull but visible, but generally there is some noticeable defect in the skull where the bullet at least hit it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Interesting to get a genuine expert analysis, however unpleasant the nature of the circumstances.
    It nicely confirms all that I ever thought of the three rounds in question.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Old school carry is my 442 S&W in the front pocket w/ cheapie Uncle Mikes pouch holster. Lucky for me we have 5.11 BDU's in Midnite Navy to wear for work. I have slid a Bersa, Kahr, Glock, all work couple little tight. In jeans, same 442/holster, not an issue. Some jeans are naval low cut, mine are standard waist. I like boot cut vs skinny models.
    Good luck.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I don't know how the math works out, but they make a lot more mess in suicides. The .25 often doesn't exit the skull even on a temple to temple shot and I've never seen an under the chin shot exit. We've seen under the chin shots fail to penetrate to the brain and fail to incapacitate the person. The .32 doesn't always exit, but generally does if temple to temple and routinely fractures the skull if under the chin. The skin may hold it together, but its in pieces when the autopsy is done. The .380 is a fairly popular suicide gun for some reason, and the one I've seen the most of. I've never seen a temple shot that didn't come out the other side. I've seen some under the chin shots that stayed in or were stuck in the skull but visible, but generally there is some noticeable defect in the skull where the bullet at least hit it.

Wow. I'm honestly not sure how to respond to that.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I pocket carried a Kahr P380 for years. No holster, just in the pocket. I never could hit anything with it being so small and with that long trigger pull. I bought a Sig P938 and had a kydex pocket holster made. The kydex is thin and keeps the gun in the proper position. It also covers the safety. It's easier to carry than the Kahr due to the kydex holster and I can shoot it a lot better. I'm 5'9" 175 lbs. with a 34" waist. I wear slim (NOT skinny jeans) and no one ever knows I'm carrying. Its great in the summer wearing shorts and a tshirt.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Wow you have stepped up from your 22lr for self defense!

Seriously, this guy is an idiot. No one should listen to a word he says.
    I almost didn't recognize him as this same guy
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/359114-best-carry-gun-2.html#post5332361
    I dont live in Kandahar. I dont need a 20rd 9mm with two extra magazines to drop you. If you need that kind of firepower you're living in the wrong part of the city and/or need to rethink the areas you visit. When will you people learn that size only matters in male organs and bank accounts. Placement is all that matters.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    No threat? I clearly understood the threat that you would want to cause my ear severe powder burn and abrasion just to make a silly point about your choice in hand cannons.

As to being upset... Not even a little.

Just catching up on this thread and have to say I was literally laughing out loud at "severe powder burns and abrasion". My wife thinks I'm an idiot over here laughing at the computer screen but that was very well played sir! :yesway: I have no rep to give but if I did I'd hit you up with some!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I love the idea of tiny pocket guns, (I still REALLY want a NAA revolver) but I wonder at what point a knife would be a better alternative. Given BBI's description of .25 acp performance, I know I would at least rather a knife than a .25!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Just catching up on this thread and have to say I was literally laughing out loud at "severe powder burns and abrasion". My wife thinks I'm an idiot over here laughing at the computer screen but that was very well played sir! :yesway: I have no rep to give but if I did I'd hit you up with some!

:): Thanks. I'm glad that the humor I tried to infuse into the debate wasn't completely lost.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    No it was not lost, I caught on fully lol.

As to .25 caliber, I once had and uncle come over and show my dad a .25 caliber Beretta Tomcat. My dad said cool, I needed to put some holes in this 55 gallon drum. (new 55 gallon drum destined to be a burn barrel in the next few minutes) He then stuck his arm in the barrel that was laying on it's side on the ground and empty the magazine. Not one hole, the bottom of the barrel stopped every single one, my uncle and I were headed for the hills while he was doing this, how a ricochet did not get his arm I'll never know. Sigh, my dad was unimpressed with the .25. I was unimpressed with his pistol safety and I was only like 13 years old!

I'm a big guy and will have bigger than normal pockets but I think a LCP or maybe a CM9 would be about as big I would try carrying in a pocket. Now I'm talking a jeans pocket here, in a jacket either would work fine I'm sure but I rarely wear a jacket where as I'm always wearing pants so that is all I think about when I think pocket carry.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I've carried in my front pants pocket every day for the last four years first with a ruger lc9, then a sig p238, and now for the last 2 years a sig p938. To me the p938 is the perfect balance of size, weight, power, accuracy and capacity

I can relate to that. When out and about I like my 938 and my wife likes her 238.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom