• ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Bizarre question and no real reason for asking, other than curiosity alone:

Can the President carry a gun while in office? Anybody have any ideas?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Interesting question and I don't have a real answer. I think the presidential guards do not let them drive, so I would think they would not let them carry because they would not be trained for the possibilities.

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    The White House is a federal building and POTUS is not a LEO, and to my knowledge not exempted to carry in federal buildings. So I would say no. Besides would you want Obama to carry? (On second thought maybe he should!)

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The 2nd amendment applies to everyone - as much as Progressives try to convince us that it doesn't.

Technically, he can carry. If the Secret Service gives him grief, he has only to point to any federal govt oath (which one would assume they take).

When I become Prez, I'll let you know if they give me any grief over it.

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    The White House is a federal building and POTUS [STRIKE]is not a LEO, and[/STRIKE] to my knowledge not exempted to carry in federal buildings. So I would say no. Besides would you want Obama to carry? (On second thought maybe he should!)

Oppss... made a mistake. Please strike the comment about LEO it is not really relevant.

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    Interesting. He can't carry in his own dwelling? I don't buy that.

The White House is considered a federal building. It belongs to the United States. Historically it is where the President resides while in office, it is not considered his own dwelling.

Now lets assume for a moment that in Chicago Obama wanted to carry around his house he could. Since the White House does not belong to him, he is not on the deed, and it is a federal building he can not, again to my knowledge the President is not authorized to carry in any federal buildings.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Oppss... made a mistake. Please strike the comment about LEO it is not really relevant.
    Actually, now that you mention it, it is quite relevant. He is a Law Enforcement Officer. According to Article 2, he takes an oath to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed".

As an LEO, he can carry. There, I think I answered my own question.

PIC JUST FOR FUN!

0.jpg

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    The White House is considered a federal building. It belongs to the United States. Historically it is where the President resides while in office, it is not considered his own dwelling.
    I didn't mean that he OWNS it. I mean that it's HIS dwelling. It's like saying "come on over to my hotel room".

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    I didn't mean that he OWNS it. I mean that it's HIS dwelling. It's like saying "come on over to my hotel room".

It is a federal building. I'm not sure, but I would think that a DC metro officer would have a hard time carrying into the White House. That is why I said that being a LEO was irrelvent.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    No, I'm pretty sure that illegal aliens are not allowed to carry by law. Oh wait, were you asking about the President in general? If so, then I would think that as the C in C of the US armed forces that he could because he is considered a member of the military and on duty.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No, I'm pretty sure that illegal aliens are not allowed to carry by law. Oh wait, were you asking about the President in general? If so, then I would think that as the C in C of the US armed forces that he could because he is considered a member of the military and on duty.

I don't think he's considered a member of the military. The military is to remain answerable to civilian power (or some such phrase) and as such, he is a civilian commander.

Rumor had it that President Reagan carried, as did Mrs. Reagan, during his terms.

Blessings,
    Bill

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business

That's coming at this from the wrong direction. We absolutely don't want the military carrying loaded weapons around civilian areas, as that suggest martial law and a coup. Further, the C in C role is a very minor one, as the Founders were absolutely repulsed by war and standing armies. The C in C would only be triggered in rare instances.

Top Bottom