Can someone recommend a solid compact .45 for carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Hey all,

I've got a fullsized S&W 4566TSW, it's a great pistol but certainly not what I would consider a great carry pistol. I don't think I would feel comfortable open carrying, even if I am allowed to, and would rather seek a smaller alternative for having with me daily. I'll keep the S&W as one of the protectors of the castle, and find something more practical for carrying daily.

Only reason I am seeking a .45 is for consistency in ammo. Though as a new(ish) gun owner maybe this isn't the route to go and will limit my options severely, but I like the idea that I wouldn't need to get different boxes of ammo for every firearm in the house.

Ideally would also like to carry IWB or front pocket carry.

Budget would be around $500.

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Picked myself up a Springfield XDs .45 today. Light, compact, feels really good in my hands. Haven't shot it yet since I did just get it tonight but looking forward to taking it to the range.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about Springfield Armory. I think the guns are ugly as sin, but in a situation where it needs to go bang, from what I've read, it'll most certainly go bang :)

Thanks for the recommendation, will surely be considering it.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    Picked myself up a Springfield XDs .45 today. Light, compact, feels really good in my hands. Haven't shot it yet since I did just get it tonight but looking forward to taking it to the range.

I also have an XDs in .45 ACP. great little shooter. disappears with IWB holsters. I also recommend you look in Kahr PM45 for another single stack compact .45. For a double stack (more rounds), I would look into a M&P45c. I am a HUGE M&P fan and can't say enough good things about mine.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If you can find one used, a Glock 30S or 36 might make a nice alternative. Between the two, my preference is the 30S as it uses normal Glock 30 mags and can accept mags from a Glock 21, YMMV.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Glock 30 or 36 might be a good choice or one of the smaller 1911 platforms.
    A friend of mine has an American Classic Amigo that he's had good luck with.
    With the right holster you can carry any of these under a t-shirt.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Springfield xds is the best option.
    if you look around you can find one for about $520 new.
    This gun is just amazing,accurate and reliable.
    Carries well IWB.
    One thing I got for mine is the pearce finger extension for the mags which makes it even better.
    Another great lil 45 is a Karh cw45.
    Have one of these also and is very nice but the better trigger is on the xds.
    Both shoot well and will serve your purpose.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I love my M&P45 compact.

My XDS was not good for me, but plan on getting another someday. Would like to shoot somebodies that has been 100% to see if it is just me or if I had a lemon.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    In plastic, I prefer the GLOCK 36 and the Springfield XDs.

I've also had really good luck with my Kimber Ultra Carry ll, although it is a bit outside your price parameter......

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you are going to carry on a belt, and you definitely want a 45, I'd look at the Glock 30. It is somewhat of a thick gun, but can be carried IWB, etc, and then you can also have Glock 21 mags as extras/reloads.

If pocket carry (with a proper pocket holster) is a real consideration, then you might look at the XDs.

Personally if you are going to carry on the belt, I don't see the benefit of the very small pistols such as the XDs that give up so much capacity to another decent sized gun that you could put on the belt. However, that is my opinion, and you really need to see what sized gun you are comfortable carrying in a quality holster/belt combination IWB, etc.

If you look to change calibers that opens up a bunch of other possibilities.

If you are not going to stay with a platform (i.e. same mags, holsters, etc as an existing pistol) then changing caliber now may not be that big of an issue, especially if you don't reload.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    I've owned a SA XD Compact and a Glock 36, probably put 500 through each. I should have kept the the Springer.

For me, the Springer pointed more natural and there was less felt recoil. Also, it came with a 10 round flush magazine with a 13 rounder to give you a full-size grip. They used to make them in all kinds of color combos, like FDE frame with steel slide or OD frame with a black slide, and every combo in between. Maybe a little big for IWB and forget the pocket.

The 36 is lighter & slimmer in frame and grip, but I don't think you'd get it into a pocket unless they were cargos. You can work with the factory mag cap with some extra cash. My only complaint with the Glock was that the mags wouldn't drop free.

Guy I work with loves his XDm Compact...

FWIW, I now have a Talo version of the Colt New Agent. 8 round mags don't change the CC ability much, weight is in between the XD and Glock, and the Colt is much easier in the waistband due to the shorter barrel and slim slide. No less accurate then the Glock or XD in my shooting.

Save up another $500 or so and go with Colt Defender with some 8 round CMC officer mags???

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    If you can find one...Glock 30S. The slim slide makes concealing more feasible, and it will fit most other Glock holsters. The standard G30 is a great gun, but kind of bulky IMO.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    A couple friends recently purchased the XDs. I was rather sceptical until I shot it. Not a lot bigger than my CM9 and only slightly more recoil. I was truely impressed. Great sights and pretty accurate. CM9 won there. All in all a great pistol. Had me thinking about adding one to my collection. Ugly...yes...but once it is in your hand and you have shot it a few times....I don't think you will mind.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    I'll give another recommendation for the XD-s, but strongly suggest you find a way to test out (shoot) any carry pistol before you buy.
    Find a range that rents guns, or better yet, find a friend that will loan you one to try out. Find one that works, then buy it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like the Glock 36. It has worked for me for two years. I also have the Glock 30 but find it to fat for concealed carry. Plus the extra rounds make it heavy. I don't have or have handled a XP so I don't know any thing about them. My Son caries a Colt that he likes. It is really small for a 45. It is DA only and has a channel for a sight. It was pricey, then he likes it and uses it. That is what counts. Get something that will be with you and makes you happy. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Top Bottom