Can non resident buy long guns in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Was at Rural King Greensburg they refused to sell a shotgun long gun to my niece who is from South Carolina. I talked to the manager she said it was a state law not a federal law. Is this true?

Trees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2016
    The sticks
    I thought you can purchase long guns anywhere. But some chain stores are only selling to people that live within the state the store is in. I believe Bass Pro is this way. Doesn't help the people that live near state lines.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It's not against Indiana’s laws; however, there are some states where the residents cannot legally buy guns outside their own state. I'm betting RK has that policy to cover their own butts.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I was at a shop Tuesday and this same issue came up with Arkansas and a long gun.

The store owner said he could sell but wanted to check first to make sure the purchaser was acting according to Arkansas laws.

In other words, I didn’t know but I heard...

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    i moved here last year from a very restrictive state that didn't allow residents to buy elsewhere unless shipped to 'in-state' FFL.

what, if anything, is required to purchase from out of state? also, assuming this can only be done from FFL's and not FTF transfers?

i've seen some things in my travels out of state while i've lived here, but always assumed they were off limits. good to know at least long guns aren't (though it doesn't really make sense why long guns are A-OK and not pistols, but laws are laws).

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    From the ATF website

[FONT=&quot] a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.[/FONT]

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    From the ATF website

[FONT=&quot] a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.[/FONT]

The manager said Indiana state law won't allow them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I thought you can purchase long guns anywhere. But some chain stores are only selling to people that live within the state the store is in. I believe Bass Pro is this way. Doesn't help the people that live near state lines.

You will find that big box stores play by their own rules. Can a FFL release a delayed transaction after 3 days if they dont hear back from NICS? Absolutely. Will Dicks release a firearm without an explicit "proceed" from NICS? Nooooope!

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Dunham's had a nice big sign saying they will gladly sell long guns to residents in neighboring states. The picture had Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky highlighted in red. (Not Illinois though)
    While I was still a Michigan resident, I was in the Brownsburg Walmart. Saw an AR behind the gun counter. Mentioned that if we were in Michigan, I would probably buy it. The associate informed me that he could sell it to me since I resided in an adjacent state.

Decided not to test the policy.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    An Illinois resident can legally buy a long gun from an FFL in Indiana if the laws for each state are followed as stated by autogun. In that case to stay legal the FFL must do the instant check then hold the gun for three days to satisfy Illinois law. Jim.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Dunham's had a nice big sign saying they will gladly sell long guns to residents in neighboring states. The picture had Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky highlighted in red. (Not Illinois though)

They said states, not communist people's republics. :):

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I trust that you simply purchased the shotgun yourself and then gifted it to you niece as any good uncle would do at this time of year. Maybe even throw in a flat of ammo.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    This sort of shenanigans, legal or not, is why I had my RKguns order shipped to the Kendallville store (which is further from me and more annoying to get to) rather than the Niles, MI store. I have no desire to argue about the law with a retail store clerk. I understand that wasn't really an option for your niece, but as said above, 'tis the season. ;)

I've never bought from RKGuns before, but if it goes smoothly, this will probably become my new go-to.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    While it's legal to sell long guns to residents of another State a lot FFL's are declining to do so since they must follow not only Federal law, the laws of their state and of the State the person is a resident of. Too much chance of running a fowl of the other States laws just to make a few bucks on a sale.

Point in case is the Texas church shooter who bought the AR in TX using a CO. driver license as his ID. The store and the clerk got into a bit of trouble, (not to mention I believe they are being sued) because the sale was deemed illegal since it contain a 30 round magazine but CO limits the mag capacity to 15 rounds. To many small pitfalls trying to keep up with current firearm laws in different States.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Update: they went to a local gun shop bought what they wanted no problem. Like others said it's a big box store policy or them being complete jerks about it.

Top Bottom