• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I was just reading about some program called Adopt a Marine. You get the name of a Marine who is over seas and you can send him or her things such as magazines, food, etc etc.

I'm interested in using this site to put a smile on the faces of people fighting for us in Iraq and Afghanistan. If we could get the names of Hoosiers I think that would be great.

I don't want to limit it to just Marines.. Does anyone have any suggestions for setting something like this up. Anyone know of a Hoosier currently over there. I think the members of this site would really be into doing something like this! :yesway:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The Ranstaad's Militia on ARFcomm is a great example of how this can work. Mostly all that is needed is a contact name and an APO for people to ship to. This is a really moving thing to do, and for those with small ones, it is a great way to talk to them about the realities of war, soldiers, and life.

This is something I wrote after the first time we did it:

Thanks to the internet and our amazing post office, it easy to help our troops. This is a great opportunity for many of us who do not have family in the military to help our kids understand what is really going on and what we can do to help.

Recently I met a family whose son is serving in Iraq in a bleak, desolate area of mountainside. The troops are doing well and are strong, but do better when they have our emotional and material support. So instead of thinking about how much they appreciate my philosophical support, I would send them some actual goodies.

I thought I would post a few pics from our first mail out:

Kids wanted to be sure to get stuff for Nick's doggies:

support1.jpg

The littlest member of the requisition team got sleepy near the end:

support2.jpg

Back at home base for stage 2:

support3.jpg

Tools at ready:

support4.jpg

Boxing up the supplies:

support5.jpg

Getting tired, it is getting late at night:

support6.jpg

Letters included:

support7.jpg

This was a big deal for the family and especially the kids. My daughter worked hard drawing something in her card that looked like a long squiggly line. I asked her what it was, and she said it was, "A map for them to get home safe."

That comment summed it all up. Thanks again to our troops and the families left behind.

With God's grace, the soldier we were sending supplies to came home safe and sound.

I would love to have someone from IN to send more stuff to. I have asked on ARFcomm for an APO but no one there knows anyone serving overseas.

Let's make this happen. It is moving for the sender, but more importantly makes life a bit easier for someone doing duty overseas.

I'm in! Get me an APO.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    From having being a Joe down range THANK YOU!!!

My two most memorable packages;
    First in or about Christmas 03 a small country baptist church from my hometown sent me and my Platoon 2 40 pound boxes of homemade candy and cookies. NOTHING can compare with homemade fudge.
    Second my platoon got an any soldier package from a gang in Compton. Enough speakers and head units to put radios in are 5 trucks. Priceless!

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    The Ranstaad's Militia on ARFcomm is a great example of how this can work. Mostly all that is needed is a contact name and an APO for people to ship to. This is a really moving thing to do, and for those with small ones, it is a great way to talk to them about the realities of war, soldiers, and life.

This is something I wrote after the first time we did it:

With God's grace, the soldier we were sending supplies to came home safe and sound.

I would love to have someone from IN to send more stuff to. I have asked on ARFcomm for an APO but no one there knows anyone serving overseas.

Let's make this happen. It is moving for the sender, but more importantly makes life a bit easier for someone doing duty overseas.

I'm in! Get me an APO.

Am I seeing this correctly? Did you send them a Zombie Survival Guide??

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    I'm in, so is my Business for a donation or donation of time for this.

Nothing better then getting a letter, bag of jerky, and something to read!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm in, so is my Business for a donation or donation of time for this.

Nothing better then getting a letter, bag of jerky, and something to read!

If you have a walk-in business, another thing you can do is Cell Phones for Soldiers which is a really easy way to contribute. People bring in dead cell phones, you send the phones away, the proceeds buy calling cards for soldiers to call home.

It is really simple, easy, and helpful.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    To echo Pami I've also meet Klay South. This is an amazing Marine, who's doing a lot of hard work to help other wounded servicemen and women.

This group is based right here in Central Indiana, started by a wounded veteran from Greenwood. I can't think of a better group for Indiana Gun Owners to get behind and help. Take a look at his videos below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JonSD9gjefw]YouTube - Veterans of Valor 1/2[/ame]

and

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBqqo8Z5u0]YouTube - Veterans of Valor 2/2[/ame]

Finally

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWN8uqyiKXc]YouTube - Klay South - Operation Care Package[/ame]

Top Bottom