• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guyinwarsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2013
    near warsaw
    I'm planning to buy a .17 HMR and maybe a .223. I looked at a couple of Savages today. They seem like nice guns. Anyone out there have any good or not so good things to say about 'em?

thanks

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I really like my 10FP in .223, SteveB on here has shot it, he can tell you it's a sweet shooting rifle.
    Check out Savage Shooters - Home . Anything you want to know about old or new Savage rifles is on there.
    The cheap synthetic stocks are functional, they are a lot better after some work,which they will tell you how to fix up at Savage shooters. The nice thing about Savages are the ease of changing the barrels.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Do not own one but the models with accutrigger seems very well liked. Buddy at work owns 3 or 4 and says he probably won't switch. I just bought Remington 700 in .223. It too gets good reviews.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have a model 11 in 243. It has the accustock and accutrigger. I have no problems getting .5" groups at one hundred yards out of it. It don't look as good as my Remingtons. Then the Savage cost about half what the Remingtons cost.

The Savage is a great rifle and people buy them because of value and accuracy. Also a lot of people buy them because they don't have to be a gun smith to work on one. You can change the barrel your self with out any tooling dun by you.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Savage.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    A: What is your budget?
    B: What are you going to use them for?

If you are looking for a .223 bolt action for less than $300 then a Savage Axis is a decent rig. Just know that there isn't much upgrading you can do with it. It would be a rifle that you would have to keep pretty much in stock form, therefore it has its limitations. The triggers are ok and the stock is cheap, but for a sub $300 bolt action its a pretty good option IMHO.

If you are looking for a .223 bolt action that you can build for serious long range precision work... then the Savage 10 or Remington 700 series of rifles are probably what you want because they have HUGE aftermarkets. You can buy replacement triggers, stocks, barrels etc.... Out of the box they are great rifles, but the beauty of them is you can build them any way you want with aftermarket parts.

For .17hmr the Savages are very nice. I used to own a model 93 with a thumbhole stock and it was easily the most accurate rimfire I've ever shot. I also own a MarkII and its great.

From everything I've read.... a CZ or a Savage is the way to go if you want the best reasonably priced rimfire rifle.

Blown71X

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Boone County
    No Opinion on their .223 bolt guns but I`ve had a couple of 93R BTVS`s in .17HMR and it is still my favorite gun right now.
    Freakishly accurate out to 100 and decent to about 150`ish
    Sets off tannerite :) and the squirrels don`t care much for it either.
    I personally don`t care for the way the mag inserts and fits but it is a minor annoyance.
    Love the trigger !

It is kinda sexy too.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Savage makes a FINE centerfire rifle.

Some folks think they're ugly aesthetically, and the bolt lift is not nearly as smooth as a Rem 700 to say nothing of something like a Tikka...but the things shoot in factory form and you can literally swap an action from a 17 Remington to a 338 Edge in about 15 minutes by swapping bolt heads and barrels. They're kinda the SOPMOD of bolt actions.

Here's my 110 (long action) 22" 223AI:
    IMG_1363.jpg

And my 10FP 20" 260:
    null_zps8d40b286.jpg

I had a Savage 12FV barrel in 223 (26" 1:9 barrel) that was a no-joke half MOA shooter with 24.0gr Varget and a 75gr HPBT bullet, verified over many 5 & 10 shot groups and two different actions. It would also 75gr Steel Match just better than MOA.

As for Savage rimfires...they're nice and tend to shoot well, but they ain't CZs. I've got a FV-SR in a Tacticool stock as a trainer and its a fine rifle, and an early 93R17 that is very accurate but has a HORRIBLE trigger. The 17HMR mags can be a PITA to get installed without looking directly at them, but they are more reliable in my experience than the MkII 22LR magazines.

Bottom line: you can spend more and get less rifle. They tend to shoot very well out of the box, but some might prefer a more refined action.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I only have two Savage firearms, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.
    First is an older model 24, .22Lr/.41oga O/U break action with a selector switch on the hammer. It is, in my opinion, the quintessential squirrel and rabbit gun. Also does pretty good to dispatch the occasional pest.
    The second is a bolt-action Savage Striker "pistol" in .308 Winchester. It has a 16" barrel with a YHM "Phantom" muzzle brake. ;)

Bottom line, I doubt you'll be disappointed in a Savage rifle.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I have Savage model 93 .22 mag that is a sweet shooter as well as a model 110 in 30-06 that shoots pretty tight groups at 100'. Haven't taken it out farther but it shoots nice. Smooth trigger and action with pretty even balance. Pulls up nice and I can hold on target with little fatigue. Bolt action could smooth out a bit, but it works fine every time. Reliable piece.

I really don't recall hearing anyone with anything bad to say about Savage. I'm sure there are some but I haven't heard 'em. My cousin is a SEAL and he's good with Savage. Feels they are good dependable work guns. Like someone earlier said,
    It don't look as good as my Remingtons. Then the Savage cost about half what the Remingtons cost.
    But when it comes to a true working gun, pretty don't score any points. I wouldn't trade mine. I like 'em.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I really like the way Red's 10FP shot. The Tikka's are by far the nicest rifles I've shot. I have one in 17REM that will go to my grave with me. There's no amount of cash that could by it from me. That being said. They're not cheap.
    I would like to know more about the action swapping capabilities of the Savages though. Can you go from 223 to 308?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I really like the way Red's 10FP shot. The Tikka's are by far the nicest rifles I've shot. I have one in 17REM that will go to my grave with me. There's no amount of cash that could by it from me. That being said. They're not cheap.
    I would like to know more about the action swapping capabilities of the Savages though. Can you go from 223 to 308?

You can change from a .223 to a .308. The action is the same, but the bolt face will have to be changed, or you can just buy another bolt. Then the barrel is swapped out and that can be done in 10 minutes with the right tools and head space gauges.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Currently have a Savage 10FB and a Stevens 200 both in 223. Replaced the Tupperware stocks on both. Other than that, they are accurate, easy to modify rifles. Doing barrel swaps are easy.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Does all this praise hold up for Savage rifles in .22? I'm not sure how much customizing I would be doing, so that isn't really a priority, but the option to do so would be nice...if I ever got the time...:(

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    No end-user barrel swaps with a Mk. II or Model 93...and their fit & finish ain't close to that of, say, a CZ 452.

Otherwise, they shoot well and provide good value.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have nothing but good to say about Savage rifles. Out of the box accuracy is amazing. An the price on their stuff is very reasonable for what your getting. Buy with confidence!

Guyinwarsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2013
    near warsaw
    The Savage .17 that I'm lookin' at has a synthetic target style stock, Accu Trigger, fluted barrel and the barrel is threaded for a suppressor. Judging by what you people have been saying, that sounds like the right gun to buy. It's priced around $550.00 Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom