Can anyone recommend a sturdy, bright, and cheap flashlight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    nebo redline.. it works... wont break the bank.. (25 bucks), has 5 different beam options, and mine hasnt let me down.

now can you go bust some dudes skull in with it? probably not. but it is sturdy, bright, and cheap.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    fenix-ld10.jpg

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    As sturdy is your first requirement, I can't recommend anything but a surefire. The G2X fits the bill, is bright, and relately cheap. Certainly cheaper than what replacing anything made in China again and again will cost.

Buy once, cry once.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got one of these and it's been a great light. New Olight T25 Tactical R5 Flashlight 210 Lumens,2010 | eBay The holster that comes with it is pretty cheap and the elastic wears out quickly. I just got one of these holsters and it's great. Nite Ize Lite Holster Stretch Fits Every Size of Flashlights | eBay

My light has 5 brightness settings you control by twisting the lens end. I'd rather it just have 3 settings. Also, you can turn the strobe on by lightly touching the tail cap to get a rapid strobe or slow strobe. For my purposes, I'd rather it not have a strobe.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    All of these flashlights are $45 or more... We need clarification from the OP on what his idea of cheap is :twocents:

I think I got mine for $35. I had a couple Maglite LED lights and got tired of dealing with them. I constantly had to tap them to keep them going after they were 6 months old.

This first pic is my Olight in the basement with all lights off and the second pic is my old Maglite.

20961b00.jpg

d9cf61d9.jpg

For double the money of the Maglite, it's clearly worth it.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I have some nice demo lights if you want to save a few bucks.

This one in particular runs on AA batteries, has 260 lumens and is $45. New on is $65.

Quark X AA^2 DEMO

Anything Surefire will be really good, 4Sevens is a really good value, I'd pick 4Sevens over Fenix and Olight just for the better warranty and a dealing with a US based company. The NEBO isn't as bright as it says on the package and not built even close as well of the above lights, but if you think your kids might lose your light, its a cheap option. But the thing to remember is that in that critical moment, it sure is nice to have confidence that your light is going to work.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Please. Looking for a flashlight, figure it might be a useful thing to have. Thanks!

Answers to a few questions will help folks make recommendations more in line with your needs:

What size does the light need to be? Keychain carry? Pocket carry? Glove box carry? Toolbox carry?

How bright does it need to be? General tasks? Spotting critters at 100 yards? Blinding an attacker?

How "sturdy" does it need to be? Are you going to hit people with it? Should it be able to withstand a drop? Or being stepped on?

What is your budget for this light? $200? $100? $50? $20?

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    I can't say enough about the Nebo lights. I carry a sure fire 6p led on my duty belt, but keep the Nebo in the pocket of my bdu's. The Nebo is much brighter than the surefire.

I have the 250 Lumen Redline and picked up 2 of the 310 lumen lights this weekend at the 1500. I love the fact that they use alkaline batteries. The magnetic bases and low voltage indicators are like the icing on top.

I know their are a lot of good lights out there, but I don't think you can do better for less than $30.

Top Bottom