Can a gun be reclassified by the BATF after you bought it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious, but I know that at one time it was legal to buy a Thompson 1927 A5 with 2 pistol grips. One in the standard location and one in the forward position. As I understand it, that is no longer legal. Now the guns must ship with 1 pistol grip and one horizontal under the barrel grip.

I ask this because currently you can buy or build an AR15 pistol (or a Sig 556 pistol) and it must not have a forward pistol grip.

So what happened to all the 1927 A5 owners who have the type with 2 pistol grips? There is no handgun registration in Indiana so I'm better there are more than a few of these tucked in safes or hanging on walls. Are these guns now illegal? How would the owners be notified by the BATFE or is it up to the owner to maintain compliance?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Did you pay $5 for an AOW stamp fee when you bought it?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Did you pay $5 for an AOW stamp fee when you bought it?

I am simply asking questions about the pistols. That said, there would have been NO need for an "any other weapon" stamp at the time these were sold (mid-1980's) because they were classified as handguns.

Here is a link to an auction that shows this model, an older one, on auction: Lot 858: * Thompson Model 1927A5 Semi-Automatic Pistol, .45 - Featured on Artfact.com

Similar gun on GunsAmerica: GunsAmerica - WEST HURLEY THOMPSON 1927A5 - Auto Ordnance Pistols - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I am trying to remember if the ATF reclassified the Street Sweeper and the Striker. I think it was up to the owners to bury their own guns. That was back in the 80's. Now the government may have a Bureau that does that for you. There are a lot of rules and the EPA has to monitor the whole thing. All in all it is easier to leave them in an unlocked car.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I am simply asking questions about the pistols. That said, there would have been NO need for an "any other weapon" stamp at the time these were sold (mid-1980's) because they were classified as handguns.

Here is a link to an auction that shows this model, an older one, on auction: Lot 858: * Thompson Model 1927A5 Semi-Automatic Pistol, .45 - Featured on Artfact.com

Similar gun on GunsAmerica: GunsAmerica - WEST HURLEY THOMPSON 1927A5 - Auto Ordnance Pistols - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

Did you receive my PM ?

I am trying to remember if the ATF reclassified the Street Sweeper and the Striker. I think it was up to the owners to bury their own guns. That was back in the 80's. Now the government may have a Bureau that does that for you. There are a lot of rules and the EPA has to monitor the whole thing. All in all it is easier to leave them in an unlocked car.

Yes, they did

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Those pistol Thompsons are still classified as pistols, they are grandfathered under the "non-sporting purpose" ruling ATF imposed. I have specific reference to the ruling and will make a copy and forward it to you.

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    To answer your initial question, the ATF can and has reclassified several firearms after they were sold commercially. Besides the shotguns mentioned above, they have also reclassified the USAS-12 shotgun, a folding pen gun, a wallet holster, a cell phone look-alike holster, and a few upper receiver conversions for existing firearms to name a few more.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I am trying to remember if the ATF reclassified the Street Sweeper and the Striker

Yes, they did. If you did not register it as a destructive device during the amnesty period you now have an illegal weapon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sarge, yes I did receive the PM. Thank you. It explains much.

4PWW9, please forward that to me, I am interested. But I have a question. If the Thompson can have a forward pistol grip, then why can't the AR15 or Sig 556 pistols have them?

Britton, just for reference, how is a gun owner supposed to even know a weapon has been reclassified and if/when there is an amnesty period? Does the BATF have any legal obligation to track people down? If so, how do they do it? Assuming the original owner still has such a reclassified gun but moved several times how would they be notified? -OR- Assuming the original owner sold the gun in a FTF how would a new owner be notified?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Britton, just for reference, how is a gun owner supposed to even know a weapon has been reclassified and if/when there is an amnesty period? Does the BATF have any legal obligation to track people down? If so, how do they do it? Assuming the original owner still has such a reclassified gun but moved several times how would they be notified? -OR- Assuming the original owner sold the gun in a FTF how would a new owner be notified?

They did not track the owners down. All they did was post notices in a lot of the gun rags and such with an amnesty period. Not even sure if they notified shops are not.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    They did not track the owners down. All they did was post notices in a lot of the gun rags and such with an amnesty period. Not even sure if they notified shops are not.

That stinks.

I did a quick search and see alot of these being sold as SBR's. Wonder if some people are going Form 1 as a way to "make" them legal.

Melansdad, I was not trying to say anything more than I did. Should have asked the question more hypothetically.

This is one of the things that is most wrong with the BATF, reclassification and lack of grandfathering.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Yes, ATF can/has reclassified firearms. Most recent I know of was a conversion for the 10/22 that after being approved by atf was later decided to be a machine gun.

While it completely sucks that ATF can re-classify firearms, I would shudder to think that they could have the ability to notify firearms owners. That would imply a complete registration scheme.

-rvb

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom