• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should State universities (IU,PU,etc.) be allowed to restrict carrying rights?

• Total voters

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I go to school in Ohio... its illegal there, and I just assumed that it was in Indiana as well. I can't find any laws for IN about the buildings. The signs on the buildings say "according to ohio law, it is unlawful to carry a firearm, deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance within this building." Without the "law...unlawful" on the sign, it is not illegal

IC 35-47-9 thats the only relevant IC that I could find
    Indiana has a very strict definition of "school", and it does NOT include colleges, universities, community colleges, etc....

Higher Ed is free to make whatever policies they want, but they are only policies.

Now, K12 and such..... that is another story.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I carry regularly onto University of Indianapolis campus. It's hardly in the best of neighborhoods and I've noticed that the building I frequent has 0 security, especially in the evenings. No random PD walkthrough, no cameras, most entrances unsecured. Inevitably, I see a co-ed or 2 come out of some office while I'm there.
    But just try to drive through there 3 mph over the speed limit and they will come down on you like a tone of bricks!:xmad:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Ok, so who the hell voted yes?

Well, provided it isn't the state making the law, shouldn't the university or college be permitted to restrict what its students may/may not carry onto *their* property? I don't agree with it, but if the college has a problem with me carrying so much as a hotdog onto their grounds, they're permitted to forbid me and ask me to leave for doing so.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Well, provided it isn't the state making the law, shouldn't the university or college be permitted to restrict what its students may/may not carry onto *their* property? I don't agree with it, but if the college has a problem with me carrying so much as a hotdog onto their grounds, they're permitted to forbid me and ask me to leave for doing so.

The poll specifically mentions state universities. State universities are the property of us, the taxpayers. They shouldn't have a right to restrict firearms possession on their property because it's not theirs, it's ours.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    The poll specifically mentions state universities. State universities are the property of us, the taxpayers. They shouldn't have a right to restrict firearms possession on their property because it's not theirs, it's ours.

Ah, I see. Forgive me, the distinction between a public and private university has always been fuzzy for me.

OS3-USN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Franklin, IN
    I work at one of the private colleges in central Indiana. The school policy is no "weapons" on campus. The school is exempt from the law that would allow me to keep my gun in my truck, so I just keep it hidden and the only person on campus that knows about it is a buddy of mine that I shoot with, and who also keeps a shotgun in his truck. I plan to get a pocket gun this summer and will CC with that pistol on campus. Our security guards carry nothing to protect anyone with and must rely on the local PD if anything gets serious. The pocket knife I carry is more than security carries. If the school is not going to take my safety, or the safety of the rest of the faculty/staff and the students seriously then I couldn't care less about their rules.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    In Indiana Colleges, CC and don't ask don't tell if you're a student.

96firephoenix- I can't speak for everybody, but If I'm entering an establishment in Indiana that has a no weapons sign posted I treat it as advisory in nature, and choose ignore their advice (at least when CCing).

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I work at one of the private colleges in central Indiana. The school policy is no "weapons" on campus. The school is exempt from the law that would allow me to keep my gun in my truck, so I just keep it hidden and the only person on campus that knows about it is a buddy of mine that I shoot with, and who also keeps a shotgun in his truck. I plan to get a pocket gun this summer and will CC with that pistol on campus. Our security guards carry nothing to protect anyone with and must rely on the local PD if anything gets serious. The pocket knife I carry is more than security carries. If the school is not going to take my safety, or the safety of the rest of the faculty/staff and the students seriously then I couldn't care less about their rules.

This applies anywhere in life; the police do not have a weapon that can reach out from the police station into my home and stop an intruder. Nor do they have one that will reach around the corner, down three blocks, and into the alley to stop me from getting mugged.

All in all, the police are very poorly equipped for the job they are supposedly performing; and that is why I carry.

OS3-USN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Franklin, IN
    This applies anywhere in life; the police do not have a weapon that can reach out from the police station into my home and stop an intruder. Nor do they have one that will reach around the corner, down three blocks, and into the alley to stop me from getting mugged.

All in all, the police are very poorly equipped for the job they are supposedly performing; and that is why I carry.

I agree, but my point was the college pretends like they are proactive by having security officers. Disarming them does nothing to make anything secure. Their purpose on campus is to be a force to help prevent these sorts of things, and on a small campus, they could have some effect if they had more than a cell phone. A criminal, knowing this about the school's security, needs only to take out one security guard.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I'd feel better if the poll were stated, "Should universities authorize the OC right" or "Should universities allow CC'ing on campus"?

Restrictions as a term is broad terminology. I'd say concealed is fine, open is not due to alot of people, especially college girls, flipping the eff out and causing a much not needed dramatic scene over a handgun.

There are restrictions in government establishments and sporting establishments such as Lucas Oil. As far as I'm concerned, if they can't see it, it should be welcomed.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom