• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Well here goes, this is my Camping / Survival pack. The contents have gotten me through many many a camping trip into what most would call deep wilderness. Take what you will from it, I'll be happy to entertain questions.

0626000035a.jpg

Everything you see accept the fishing rod, tent, and tarp, fit into this bag. I may have even left some things out.

A before picture of everything that i carry into the woods, the Tent and tarp get strapped onto the pack with bungie cords.
    0626000034.jpg

A closer look at some of the other things i carry on me.
    0626000035.jpg

BAM Everything from inside the pack, i think its everything.
    0626000122.jpg

A closer look at the Illumination section
    0626000122a.jpg

Some more stuff, Rain gear, fanny pack, headlamp, small first aid kit, Paracord.
    0626000122b.jpg

The food and clothing section
    0626000123.jpg

Fishing, Ugly Stick Combo, and small tackle box
    0626000123a.jpg

Assortment of Blades that may come with me

0626000049.jpg

Gerber Hatchet Combo

0626000130.jpg

A closer look at my Fire Making Kit

0626000125.jpg

Ontario SP5 and Knife Kit i put together for it.

0626000128.jpg

Fire Sparker, 60 Ft of Paracord, Small Multitool, and Knife Sharpener

0626000129.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed that, God bless.:patriot:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Oh crap, i forgot the water filtration system. Prolly one of many things i forgot to take a picture of, or put out.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    nice, and thanks for the pics. now my personal recomendations, take them for what they are.

I'd ditch: the hand saw, the gerber knife, the axe. (you still have the SP5 and that will do everything you need. also you can modify the blade for fine working)

- get rid of the florecent lamp

- for the duct tabe, roll 6' - 8' around a shortened pencile and keep the rest at home. that sh*t is HEAVY.

- roll up 20' of that white string and ditch the rest with the tube.

- ditch the fishing pole& reel and make your own reel out of PVC pipe. and inside keep your hooks, weights, etc.

- ditch the rain suit and the tarp and buy you a U.S. GI PONCHO with liner and it will work for many things including a tent and a sleeping bag.

- buy a small hammock

- ditch all that extra rope and string you got laying there. take 50' of 550 cord and your good.

- ditch the big bottle of wipees and take some and put them in a ziplock baggie and throw the big bulky container away.

- ditch the metal whistle and buy a plastic one (would suck if it froze to your lip or didnt work wet)

- ditch the silver flashlight

- ditch the extra butane fluid

- ditch that white first aid box and put what you need in a waterproof mylar bag. i recomend: a couple bandaids, mole skin, neosporin cream, tylenol, antacid, benadryl, alkaseltzer, 2, 2x2 guaze pads, splinter out.

Theres a bunch of other small things that i cant tell for sure what they are so i cant recomend anything else for now. Im not trying to be rude, im just being practical. you would be suprised how much weight you will knock out of that pack and not lose any function with the above recomendations. take my opinions with a grain of salt. I still thank you for posting your pics

Last edited:

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    And here I thought I went to far on my SHTF bag.

I plan to stay stationary in the event of disaster and not be mobile. I don't have the tracking skills to keep my tracker/s guessing therefore I will be aware of my surroundings and gain the upper hand of surviving in that area. This holds true to being lost/stranded also. At least for me, I would rather spend more time making the location into a survivable situation rather than chancing the walk/hike to help. I don't have to be home in 7 days nor is the public opinon my concern. I haven't ever been backpacking and so therefore I can't speak from experience but if I can have food, water, and shelter then I have the strong will to survive and that's all I need.

I say that you take tools that you can safely and effectively carry/use. A full size axe may not be the best choice IMHO, so I opted to have a hammer size hatchet. I packed my pack with things many people may see as pointless or even stupid. Two of these items are smoke bombs and strobe flares. Both can be used for many things... In a low pressure area maybe the colored smoke will make the difference between life and death. I can tell you that it won't kill me or harm me in packing them in my pack.

My pack is heavier than my liking but I'm confident for the most part on what I have gained with it being heavier. I'll try and get some pics of it all laid out... Food for thought and for the belly for the OP I just included 3lbs of rice and 2-3lbs of Northern Beans in my pack (vaccum sealed with a personal sealing machine). Along with a can of Hormel Beef tips and some Tuna. All of which has a shelf date projecting to 2012 or so (And that was in off the shelf packing, I would hope I gained some time by packing it air tight.

This post was not intended to defy or disagree with anyone that has factual insight over the topic. Just merely my :twocents: and how I look at things....

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Small sil-nylon tarp, hammock and usgi goretex bivy is what I use.

Replaces your tent, tarp, and that huge sleeping bag.

I carry one small knife, and a folding saw. I have never needed anything more, but I do not travel to Canada or Alaska much. (axe)

3 large fixed blades is overkill.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    It weighs about 68 pounds, and i have never taken it out for 6 hours. always get to my camp site in less than 2. Wish i could go with a hammock, but i'm a big guy. I have not found a hammock that can take my weight yet.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I usually only use the hammock when its wet out, goretex bivy and a light tarp. Racking up lots of miles usually makes me sleep like a baby regardless of my equipment.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Looks good. A couple things I might change is this: Use some of your gorilla tape and wrap a water bottle or somthing. I think I saw 3 multi tools, and 3 nonfolding knives. Condense wet wipes, Get rid of that big lantern thing. Pack a candle lantern. I like a very small cookstove in my kit. I dont see a water container. A small folding hammock was a good idea grey squirrel gave me today. First aid supplies including wound dressing. Also, for a get home bag, I have a laminated state map. Pencil and paper. WHat about a pistol? DOnt forget the toilet paper!
    Im sure evryone would have lots of suggestions for mine too. Maybe I should man up and show mine like you did. Good job

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    to bad close to 300# just doesn't cut it.
    If you're 300, and can take a 70# pack for a 2 hour hike, you're a pretty tough guy, and in better shape than most. Nice pack, good quality gear, if you ever want to hit the trails for a hike with full loads, drop me a line.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Well I seemed to have missed a point by talking about the hammock also. I meant to tell ya about http://www.campmor.com/eno-pronest-hammock.shtml .

I ran across one on Ebay but missed out on it. I carry a wool blanket and a nylon sheet to use as a mosqito net or something of the like (or even fish net). My rig is in my truck and I also have another blanket that zips up in itself in which I would snag up if need be.

I too am a big guy but feel that I could carry my pack for well over the necessary time to seek shelter. It would be at my own pace however and not up to par with a typical hiker. But be that as it may I hope to over time increase the pace.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    After looking at some of the advice, I have a hammock on the way from REI. But some of you guys misunderstand what my pack is. I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster for the local BSA troop. when i go camping i have to show youngins how to do things, unfortunately while i hate to admit this, the liberal parents in this country have made the boy scouts really dumb down the term "Roughing It". Thus much of the time, i must be over prepaired, if such a thing is possible. the reason I have to over prepare is because the hippy parents frown on me yelling at there children for being under prepared. And much as I would rather send the under prepared scouts home(and believe me I would), the boys would learn very little sitting at home playing video games. I would love to take the scouts out on every campout and have them all make there own shelters, but almost all state property forbids that. and worse yet, parents would yell at me if i only let there kids sleep under a tarp. That is what High Adventure camping trips are for, and thats when i get to tell the parents how things go and if they don't like it there kids don't have to come.

Also i never carry all those knives at the same time, those are just some of my choices when packing. One large blade, and one multitool. I do love that hatchet and saw though, saves all kinds of time. The huge sleeping bag, thats my winter bag. my spring, summer, and fall bag is much smaller.

Thanks all for the advice.

Top Bottom