• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealHonestAbe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2020
    Greenwood
    You also have lake Monroe. North side of it is more of the party side compared to the south side. Brookeville lake is nice as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You also have lake Monroe. North side of it is more of the party side compared to the south side. Brookeville lake is nice as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isn't it more of an east/west divide? East of 446 is the idle zone and quiet, while west of 446 is the "fast" side. Allen's Creek (party cove) is on the west side. We used to camp in there a lot when we were younger, but now prefer the idle zone side. Whole different type of people there it seems. Got tired of spending the first hour or two picking up trash from the previous campers when we camped in Allen's Creek.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The middle of HNF.

This.

Right now before mushroom season starts up you could just pick any road that dead ends into the HNF, walk back in a ways and camp privately. Another two weeks and you'll start seeing some early mushroom hunters depending on the weather.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    For “hike in and camp,” I like the Deam Wilderness.
    Agreed. Some years ago, a friend and I chose one of the lakeside spots. We made an impromptu table and chairs out of the flat stones from the shoreline and played rummy til the wee hours with headlamps. A bottle of gentleman’s Jack may have enhanced our camping experience.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Agreed. Some years ago, a friend and I chose one of the lakeside spots. We made an impromptu table and chairs out of the flat stones from the shoreline and played rummy til the wee hours with headlamps. A bottle of gentleman’s Jack may have enhanced our camping experience.
    :yesway: Deam is a fun little spot. Fairly central, easy to get to, short, easy trails (with exception of the heavily-used horse trails sometimes) and the peninsula is just a great spot to set up camp.

It’s a great overnighter or weekend getaway. If one is like me and keeps their gear bag packed, you can throw it in the car and be setting up camp in two hours from Indy.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    :yesway: Deam is a fun little spot. Fairly central, easy to get to, short, easy trails (with exception of the heavily-used horse trails sometimes) and the peninsula is just a great spot to set up camp.

It’s a great overnighter or weekend getaway. If one is like me and keeps their gear bag packed, you can throw it in the car and be setting up camp in two hours from Indy.
    I really like Deam. I've done quick over-nights, and multi-day backpacking shake-down hikes. If you look, you can find some nice secluded "stealth" camping sites off the trails.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Although if you come down to this end of the HNF, when its starting to get dark and quiet, don't be too surprised to hear banjos playing in the distance.
    Last time my buddy and I were in Deam we could hear a concert somewhere close, maybe at the scout camp? The yotes also went CRAZY and we could hear them howling and running in two different packs.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    A friend of mine used to have a camp above blue river near White Cloud. Every time a fresh group of people canoeing came down river they would play the deliverance theme. The younger peeps paid no attention and most of the older adults laughed their tales off.

Top Bottom