• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was taught by the Marine Corps that a Marine is a "soldier of the sea", originally stationed on ships and used for land operations or battles between ships. Also notice that soldier isn't a proper noun and isn't capitalized whereas Marine is.

IF you call me anything, the proper term to use isn't Marine, it's Sir or Captain.

Damn, but I do still hate officers (regardless of branch)! :bowdown:

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but Jar Head used to be a vey common referance for a marine. I know a few ex-marines and have never known any of them to take it as a derogatry name in fact I think they take pride in the name. Gyrene was also a common expression for a Marine. I suppose everyone knew all this anyway.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is why you dont call a Marine a Soldier

WhyyounevercallaMarineasoldier.jpg

You can usually catch members of various services in good natured verbal jousting. Hell sometimes you will even catch us assaulting one another. But a Marine would never leave another service member out on a limb and I like to believe the same of the other services.

If a civilian refered to me as a Soldier I would correct them, perhaps they just dont understand. Fortunately in all my wanderings around the world and in the US I have never ran into a single person that didn't know the difference between a Marine and a Soldier. Even those that didn't speak English knew the difference.

Just a parting shot....

badass.jpg

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I actually call my 1SG "sergeant." I knew him before he got his 8, and he's not good at acting like an 8, he still jokes around with everyone like he's a 5 or 6.

I call him "top" or "first sergeant" when we're around other companies, but when it's just us, he's really laid back.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Strictly IMO, if you fight for a cause, be it your country or otherwise, you are a soldier. That said, it is typically best to use the most specific term that is appropriate - marines, sailors, etc.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    The person with the problem is the one who gets offended when called a soldier when it's obvious that no disrespect is intended. Again, marines are a sensitive bunch. If they get crappy, just remind them that they're under the navy.

Hey GrandMaster, Dang Flippy we are a sensitive bunch. That's what we call Earning the Title. I'm sure if you are a traveling man and you advertise that you are a GrandMaster, that you would get pissy if someone that you didn't know assaulted your Position in the Masonic Lodge. Well, apples to Apples. Marines are trained as a Basic Rifleman for every man, unlike the rest of the branches. It's like in the 300, when Leonidus was talking about sparta and they are all warriors first, not craftsmen.That said, just earning that Title is something different. And when You say that we are Under the Navy, then why is it that Marine Sharpshooters were above the sailor currs in the nests to kill the officers on the other ships back in the day? Why is it that the Navy wants Marine Security Guards? We are all Naval Infantry and we are the only branch that never ran or participated in a mutiny. AHumm, nothing to be proud of? Well, GrandMaster, with all respect due to a title that appears on the matchstick of your donating icon, Have a good one. Put down the doughnut and get some, maybe you would understand better if your nether region wasn't confused with a bit of sand in it...I've known Better Corpsmen than most medics, and they chose to go green side to be like a Marine, with the PT standards and Uniforms Standards. What's the Difference Between a Has Been and a Never Was? the Same Difference that's between a Veteran and a Civilian.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Hey GrandMaster, Dang Flippy we are a sensitive bunch. That's what we call Earning the Title. I'm sure if you are a traveling man and you advertise that you are a GrandMaster, that you would get pissy if someone that you didn't know assaulted your Position in the Masonic Lodge. Well, apples to Apples.

It's not apples to apples. He's suggesting that many don't know that a marine is different from a soldier. How is that an assault?

And when You say that we are Under the Navy, then why is it that Marine Sharpshooters were above the sailor currs in the nests to kill the officers on the other ships back in the day? Why is it that the Navy wants Marine Security Guards? We are all Naval Infantry and we are the only branch that never ran or participated in a mutiny. AHumm, nothing to be proud of?

Again, reread what has been posted. Someone stated something about being under the Department of the Navy. Is this not true?

Well, GrandMaster, with all respect due to a title that appears on the matchstick of your donating icon, Have a good one. Put down the doughnut and get some, maybe you would understand better if your nether region wasn't confused with a bit of sand in it...I've known Better Corpsmen than most medics, and they chose to go green side to be like a Marine, with the PT standards and Uniforms Standards. What's the Difference Between a Has Been and a Never Was? the Same Difference that's between a Veteran and a Civilian.

lol..thank you for your service.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Again, reread what has been posted. Someone stated something about being under the Department of the Navy. Is this not true?

When I was in, they were Phasing out Paper Checks. Mine always Said United States Department of Defense. Then, when we had to go get direct deposit to save the taxpayers money on Ink and Paper, it still said US Dept of Def. I re read it to my satisfaction and am sticking with what I said.

Apples to Apples is right also, He is probably not a Grandmaster, but has Bastardized the title to his liking. I've found that people that bastardize titles usually can't commit to something greater than themselves. Earn it Puke. My Grandma is 306 and is on the east coast with an A&N on her door. I earned all titles that I feel are significant in my life. That's where Knight of the East comes in, Its not a Bastardization, It's a Title. I earned it too.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Okay, I was going to let you go believing that his title meant something more, but I'm pretty sure that his title of Grand Master only has to do with the number of posts on the forum. lol :n00b:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hey GrandMaster, Dang Flippy we are a sensitive bunch. That's what we call Earning the Title. I'm sure if you are a traveling man and you advertise that you are a GrandMaster, that you would get pissy if someone that you didn't know assaulted your Position in the Masonic Lodge. Well, apples to Apples. Marines are trained as a Basic Rifleman for every man, unlike the rest of the branches. It's like in the 300, when Leonidus was talking about sparta and they are all warriors first, not craftsmen.That said, just earning that Title is something different. And when You say that we are Under the Navy, then why is it that Marine Sharpshooters were above the sailor currs in the nests to kill the officers on the other ships back in the day? Why is it that the Navy wants Marine Security Guards? We are all Naval Infantry and we are the only branch that never ran or participated in a mutiny. AHumm, nothing to be proud of? Well, GrandMaster, with all respect due to a title that appears on the matchstick of your donating icon, Have a good one. Put down the doughnut and get some, maybe you would understand better if your nether region wasn't confused with a bit of sand in it...I've known Better Corpsmen than most medics, and they chose to go green side to be like a Marine, with the PT standards and Uniforms Standards. What's the Difference Between a Has Been and a Never Was? the Same Difference that's between a Veteran and a Civilian.

I have nothing to do with the "grandmaster" thing that so offends you. That's put there by INGO. I have nothing to do with the Masons or any other such organization.

I have a total of 8 years of active duty Army and National Guard service. I'm a citizen just like any other, not a noble. I don't expect people to bow to me or give me respect just because I served. If someone is trying to show me respect and gets the terminology wrong, I take it in the manner in which it was intended, not as a slight.

I've said before that I've never met a Marine that made me wish that I had joined the Marines instead of the Army. You're no exception.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have nothing to do with the "grandmaster" thing that so offends you. That's put there by INGO. I have nothing to do with the Masons or any other such organization.

I have a total of 8 years of active duty Army and National Guard service. I'm a citizen just like any other, not a noble. I don't expect people to bow to me or give me respect just because I served. If someone is trying to show me respect and gets the terminology wrong, I take it in the manner in which it was intended, not as a slight.

I've said before that I've never met a Marine that made me wish that I had joined the Marines instead of the Army. You're no exception.

Agree, if they are trying to give you some respect, or a pat on the back and you blow them up with some Im a blah blah, then congrats, thats why we have trouble finding support and respect. Granted, there are nice ways to correct people, like I have people ask what service I am in, while I am in uniform. Now, there are a couple ways to answer this, I could be rude, crude and tell them the name tape on my chest says US Army, or I could take the time to say, Im in the Army. Gee, which method you think helps build support that we need when we are overseas?

Just remember, in today's society, less then half of a percent, .45% of the population serves in the military service. Since pretty much all of the branches have changed their uniforms in just the last 10 years at least, seems like it would be reasonable for most people to not know the difference. Heck, Im still in, and have a hard time keeping up with all the uniform changes.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Next time someobody at church prays for the safety of our soldiers serving overseas, I'm going to dress them down for leaving out Marines, Sailors, Airmen, etc.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

...and that's as it should be. Your goals and aspirations belong only to you.

The Corps does not mourn the absence of those who chose to join other services. You're no exception.

Thanks for your service. Semper Fidelis :patriot:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Next time someobody at church prays for the safety of our soldiers serving overseas, I'm going to dress them down for leaving out Marines, Sailors, Airmen, etc.

That's impressive, that is. :rolleyes:

Hope you didn't bruise yer heels drumming them on the floor like that.....

Top Bottom