• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Having trouble with my Infotainment system in my 2018 Chevy Colorado. Looking for ideas of what I can do to try and revive it so I don't have to take it to a dealer.

Short story: The screen is black.

Long Story: Screen went black on a road trip to VA last week. I can still use it to view the backup camera, but the guide line overlay is not there. The radio works and I can control it through the steering wheel controls. I can still use the phone function through the steering wheel controls. When I touch the screen it sounds as if I am selecting functions, but I don't know what function it is. If I press the FFW and REV buttons, while the radio is playing, they change the frequency. If I connect my phone to the USB port, Android Auto takes over but I can't see any navigation because....... the screen is black. Sometimes, when I turn the ignition key off, the screen will display a camera icon with a slash through it and it is flickering. It will stop after about a minute, but I don't wait that long to exit my truck.

I did stop at a stealership today and talked with both the Parts Dept and a Service Writer. It seems that the most purchased part is the Infotainment screen. I was quoted $230 for the part. The part shows in stock. The Service Writer indicated that sometimes a software upgrade takes care of the issue. But if it didn't it was most likely the screen.

Any ideas/suggestions? Buy the part and replace it myself? Bite the bullet and take it to the stealership?

I want to make sure I have eliminated all the simple troubleshooting before I resign myself to calling in the experts.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Simple question. Did you try to reboot the system?
    I spoke with the service writer about taking power off the system for a while and then re-powering it. I was thinking pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. He indicated that neither would work. I haven't found anything that tells me how to reboot the system. Must be a trade secret. :tantrum:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Try googling your symptoms to see if the internet has a solution already.
    My wife spent about 15 hours googling while I was driving. Nothing we found helped. There were some really weird button pressing sequencing that people claimed that helped their issues.

Headed over to the Colorado Forum to post there and seen what they have to say.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I would have the dealership check and see if there is a update available.

The infotainment systems have a history of cracked solder joints on the boards though. My guess is that if it's not an update issue, then the rest of your system will probably fail in the near future

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Any ideas/suggestions? Buy the part and replace it myself? Bite the bullet and take it to the stealership?
    If you're reasonably confident in your skills disassembling/reassembling electronics it's not really difficult.
    I replaced the Cue screen in a buddy's Caddy in less than 1 hour last summer.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I spoke with the service writer about taking power off the system for a while and then re-powering it. I was thinking pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. He indicated that neither would work. I haven't found anything that tells me how to reboot the system. Must be a trade secret. :tantrum:
    Push the power button and hold it.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If the backup camera works, then I'd say it's not the backlight. You can shine a flashlight on the black screen to test an see if you see an image, but i doubt since camera works. The problem is in the unit itself. We have a 22' hyundai kona that had some of that issue. Bluetooth was a pain to get to work slot of times the screen would go black, half the time when hitting radio to goto only radio channel, it didn't work. Dealer ran diagnostics an radio was bad. I presume it's a software problem. Dealer put new unit in. Still have camera issue with it staying on longer than it should when trans is in drive. I have had 1 black screen. I don't know if you have a programmable button to turn screen off like i do..mine is a star..

Top Bottom