• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Buy the best (read most accurate) calipers you can afford. Calipers are not as accurate as micrometers but large mics get pricey. It pays to develop measurement techniques that are consistent & always check your zero before you measure anything. Just because you get a reading, if you don't know your zero, the measurement means nothing.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I've got calipers all the way from $200 Starrett, to $10 Harbor Freight, with Mitutoyo, Fowler, SPI, and even a set of Brown & Sharp tossed in.

Guess what, they all measure the same, but remember they are an instrument, NOT A TOOL, handle them carefully and do not drop them.

As far as the Harbor Freight being "cheap" "Chinese", take a look at the country of orgion of a Nikon camera the next you able to.

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Mitutoyo digital readout, I have been in quality control for 15 years seen a lot of cheap calipers that operators would bring in to use and I would try to master them on a certified master block and although the dial would "zero" your true reading of a given dimension could be off by several thousandths or more.

I don't reload but if I did I would use a premium measuring device I could rely on, and I would invest in some master's to periodically check that the device is accurate.

So true. If you want a set of calipers that is going to last years Mitutoyo is the best IMO. I have had my Mitutoyo dig mics going on 12 years now with everyday use with no issues. Best $150.00 I have ever spent. Investing in a gage tree and a master block is a wise choice. If you take care of of them they will last many many years. Using a caliper for measuring DIA is not a real good idea either. You really want to use a mic for that.

You use GageTrak Joe where you work?

Joe K

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    @ Legba I have used GageTrak for years, I was with Kennedy Enterprises for 4 years, prior to that PK-USA, Moriden America with the auto industry so hit and miss, I went into Food.

I sure do miss metal, and all the gages and good times that went with Automotive QC, sounds like your a QC guy too?

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    @ Legba I have used GageTrak for years, I was with Kennedy Enterprises for 4 years, prior to that PK-USA, Moriden America with the auto industry so hit and miss, I went into Food.

I sure do miss metal, and all the gages and good times that went with Automotive QC, sounds like your a QC guy too?

Yes I am Joe. Make automotive bolts.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    After 40+ years of use and abuse, my Mitatoyo dial calipers have given super performance. Prorate the cost over a 40 year period and they are downright cheap. Noticing a little play finally, they are being retired... guess where I'm going for a replacement?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    What can I say about calipers. I own nice Starrett dial pairs in English and Metric, Digital Mitutoyos, cheap Lymans, and cheap imports in both 6 & 12" models. Calipers are good for quick measurements where precise measurements aren't critical. Dial or digital calipers aren't meant to hold better than .001-.002 tolerences. If you want precise, then get quality vernier calipers or micrometers. For reloading buy cheap dials.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Harbor Freight will suit your needs very well.

Before someone chimes they eat up batteries, the fix is to cut the foam in the box where the On/Off button contacks when the case is shut.

Thats a money suggestion there! I have 2 sets and every time I open them it seems the batteries dead!

Thanks!

I second the digital Harbor Freight calipers. They have served me well...but I don't do high end work...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom