• ...and so much more!
  • profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    As I'm sure many people have, I've expanded the number of calibers that I own over time. I'm considering consolidating a couple of those calibers and am interested in hearing other INGO members' opinions on which calibers they would consolidate and why. I'd like to keep the discussion independent of what particular guns I own or how much ammo I have, as well as what I currently use them for. I am most concerned with keeping a set of calibers that cover a broad spectrum of potential use cases. For instance, I don't hunt very often anymore and don't currently shoot my rifles more than a few times a year... but I want to be able to, if things change and I need/want to. I also want to favor more versatile calibers, versus owning every boutique round out there. The only thing I don't think I will ever need to do is long-range precision shooting -- 300 yards and in is about it.

In short, can I trim down the number of calibers I own while maintaining versatility? Or is the range I have pretty reasonable? Here are the calibers I currently own:

Rifle
    .22LR
    .223/5.56
    .300 Blackout
    7.62x39mm
    .308 Winchester
    .450 Bushmaster

Pistol
    9mm
    10mm
    .45 ACP
    .50 AE (yeah, yeah... I know) :)

Shotgun
    12 gauge

I always enjoy listening to the various perspectives out there, so I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Unless hunting all the handgun calibers besides 9mm could go…. 12g obviously stays…22 always stays….223 has to stay… then I would think 308 everything else is fluff if trying to consolidate you can’t do anything with the other calibers you couldn’t keeping the ones I listed. But compared to a lot of people on here I don’t think you have an excessive amount of different calibers

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Unless hunting all the handgun calibers besides 9mm could go…. 12g obviously stays…22 always stays….223 has to stay… then I would think 308 everything else is fluff if trying to consolidate you can’t do anything with the other calibers you couldn’t keeping the ones I listed. But compared to a lot of people on here I don’t think you have an excessive amount of different calibers
    I agree with all of this but I would add 38/357. You just can't beat a good wheel gun...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    .22 Short
    .22 LR
    .223/5.56
    30 Carbine
    303 Brit
    .30-30
    .300BO
    .38-55
    .45-70
    8mm Mauser
    7.62X39. dang it! FORGOT THAT ONE TOO!
    .357 Mag
    .44 Mag
    .38 Special
    .44 Special
    9mm
    .45ACP
    .45 Colt! I forgot that one! EDIT

I'm missing some, I believe.
    Nope, not slimming down.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Doesn't sounds like you've got too much consolidating to do, I'm sure most INGO members have a far longer list of calibers they own. :)

That being said, I am in the camp of having fewer calibers myself. There are a few that I think you could get rid of without losing too much versatility, which I'll list below, with my reasoning for each:

1 - .50 AE - I don't think this needs much explanation, as it sounds like your already aware with the "I know" comment. :)

2 - 7.62x39 and/or 300 Blackout - Speaking only of supersonic 300 blackout, these two rounds are extremely similar in ballistics and in what they can achieve. With 7.62x39 you generally speaking gain cheaper ammo, a larger number of firearms already out there that are chambered for it, and slightly better ballistics out of a full-length barrel, assuming you can get good quality ammo. With 300 blackout you gain the ability to easily switch to super quiet subsonic rounds, assuming you have a suppressor, and also the ability to go with a much shorter barrel length before you really start to notice your muzzle velocity falling off. If you have a 30 cal suppressor, I'd stick with 300 BO just to have the easy option of running super quiet subs, and ditch 7.62x39 since 300 blackout can basically achieve the same performance with supersonic rounds. But if you don't have a suppressor or aren't interested in running subs, just stick with 7.62x39 since the ammo is super cheap and there's already a ton of it out there. Or, you can just get rid of both; 223 really fills the same role, without a huge drop in performance at close range, and the added benefit of a flatter trajectory if you start to have to reach out there. And if you think you need more punch than the 223 can deliver, just grab the 308.

3 - 450 Bushmaster - At relatively close range it's definitely a harder-hitting round than 308, but unless you plan on hunting a critter that's larger than anything we have here in Indiana, that extra power is likely to just be overkill.

These are the calibers I would absolutely keep, no matter what, if I were you:

Rifle
    .22LR - Perfect for varmints. Also, in a survival situation you can carry a ton of it, and it can even technically take larger game if you can get up close and take head shots. Not something you ever want to be using it for, but if you actually reach a point where it's hunt or starve, having a load of 22lr on you is probably going to be your best bet.

.223/5.56 - Seems to be in the goldilocks zone for rifle cartridges. The recoil is quite mild, it's a relatively light round, easy to have high capacity in a small package, powerful enough for self-defense and even hunting larger game, even if not quite ideal. Tons of firearms are chambered in it, it's readily available, cheap, etc.

.308 Winchester - Also an extremely common round. If you want to set out to hunt deer, this seems to be about the best cartridge you can find for having just right amount of power out to 300 yards. Plus it can be a more authoritative option as a self-defense cartridge than 223.

Pistol
    9mm - Seems to be the goldilocks round for handguns, like the 223 is for rifles. Plus there's a ton of it out there, it's cheap, etc.

Shotgun
    12 gauge - You can't ask for much better versatility in a firearm. I don't think there's an animal in this state that you can't get an effective hunting load for. Yes, you'll be limited to relatively close-range engagements, but with buckshot or slugs 12ga can actually be quite effective as a self-defense option, even out to 100 yards and a bit beyond.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    2 - 7.62x39 and/or 300 Blackout - Speaking only of supersonic 300 blackout, these two rounds are extremely similar in ballistics and in what they can achieve. With 7.62x39 you generally speaking gain cheaper ammo, a larger number of firearms already out there that are chambered for it, and slightly better ballistics out of a full-length barrel, assuming you can get good quality ammo. With 300 blackout you gain the ability to easily switch to super quiet subsonic rounds, assuming you have a suppressor, and also the ability to go with a much shorter barrel length before you really start to notice your muzzle velocity falling off. If you have a 30 cal suppressor, I'd stick with 300 BO just to have the easy option of running super quiet subs, and ditch 7.62x39 since 300 blackout can basically achieve the same performance with supersonic rounds. But if you don't have a suppressor or aren't interested in running subs, just stick with 7.62x39 since the ammo is super cheap and there's already a ton of it out there. Or, you can just get rid of both; 223 really fills the same role, without a huge drop in performance at close range, and the added benefit of a flatter trajectory if you start to have to reach out there. And if you think you need more punch than the 223 can deliver, just grab the 308.
    Thanks for the thoughtful response! I actually do have a .30 cal suppressor in jail and have wondered myself if I made 7.62x39 redundant when I got into 300BLK.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Rifle
    .300 Blackout
    .450 Bushmaster

Pistol
    10mm
    I think the calibers listed above are really the only choices you have available to eliminate, and even 10mm would be questionable. The rest are some of the most ubiquitous, versatile, cheap, easy to find, and most widely used.

He said consolidate not add…. Lol
    Yeah, but adding 38 & 357 opens the door to a lot of revolver and lever gun options! Honestly, from OPs pistol list, I'd ditch 10mm and 45acp and load up on 38 / 357, but that's just me.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I think the calibers listed above are really the only choices you have available to eliminate, and even 10mm would be questionable. The rest are some of the most ubiquitous, versatile, cheap, easy to find, and most widely used.

Yeah, but adding 38 & 357 opens the door to a lot of revolver and lever gun options! Honestly, from OPs pistol list, I'd ditch 10mm and 45acp and load up on 38 / 357, but that's just me.
    Not to spoil the discussion, but 10mm might just be my favorite caliber out of all of these. ;)

I definitely appreciate the different thoughts though!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Best way to know what calibers to keep in handgun, rifle or shotgun would be to know what is the best selling ammunition.
    Once you find out what the 5 top selling ammunition for each type of firearms is. Then you can make an educated decision on what to keep if your goal is to have firearms that you can find ammunition for via trade if a few EMP bombs went off over the US, or some other horrific event.

That said is there a way to know what the top 5 best selling ammunition is in each category?

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As I'm sure many people have, I've expanded the number of calibers that I own over time. I'm considering consolidating a couple of those calibers and am interested in hearing other INGO members' opinions on which calibers they would consolidate and why. I'd like to keep the discussion independent of what particular guns I own or how much ammo I have, as well as what I currently use them for. I am most concerned with keeping a set of calibers that cover a broad spectrum of potential use cases. For instance, I don't hunt very often anymore and don't currently shoot my rifles more than a few times a year... but I want to be able to, if things change and I need/want to. I also want to favor more versatile calibers, versus owning every boutique round out there. The only thing I don't think I will ever need to do is long-range precision shooting -- 300 yards and in is about it.

In short, can I trim down the number of calibers I own while maintaining versatility? Or is the range I have pretty reasonable? Here are the calibers I currently own:

Rifle
    .22LR
    .223/5.56
    .300 Blackout
    7.62x39mm
    .308 Winchester
    .450 Bushmaster

Pistol
    9mm
    10mm
    .45 ACP

Shotgun
    12 gauge

I always enjoy listening to the various perspectives out there, so I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say.
    I have absolutely no use for a 300 Blackout or 7.62. 7.62 or 308, same thing. What ever.

On the pistols I'd have never bought a 50 what ever it is so that would likely be looking for a new home.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am way down on different ammo needs. Some were easy, like ..25 & .32 and 380 could be covered by .22LR or 9mm. I stopped collecting various old Foreign military calibers so those calibers are gone. I stopped competing in some sports, so those arms, like .410 & 28 gauge could find other homes. I am never again going to be able to fund or attend a Safari or bear hunt, so those dangerous game calibers are gone. The Novelty arms like Desert Eagle, Webley, Wildey, and Makarov are gone.

Life changes, and collections are something that come and go. I am pretty sure that everything I got rid of went to people who really enjoy them, If not, it is just hardware, not an eternal soul.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Always tried to keep my caliber count down, and reload many of them:
    .22LR
    .223/5.56 (reload)
    7.62x39 (getting out of this) (reload)
    7.62x51 (reload)
    7.62x54R (just one of these left - everyone should have a Mosin)

9mm (reload)
    10mm (reload)

12 gauge (for public land hunting)

Had a .44 mag at one point for a very short time, and thought about .50AE and .50BMG, but never pulled the trigger ;)

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    In rifles I have a couple AR 15’s in 5.56, a Marlin 30-30 and 357. And of course a couple 22lr and muzzle loaders.

If I decided to consolidated rifles I’d probably get rid of the AR’s and keep my 30-30 357 and 22lr

Handguns I have Wheelguns and autos of 22, 38/357, 9mm and 45 acp and as I am more into handgun training and shooting than rifle I probably won’t consolidate anything but I’m also not interested in adding much let alone a different caliber to my collection. I’m pretty much set as is (I would take a Ruger cBlackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt/45 acp but for the 45 acp more)

As far as shotguns I sold my 1187 and 870 and only have a 1897 Win that’s been in my family since 1910??? And a single shot I bought my son. So I’d like to get a Beretta A300 Patrol but that’s about it.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For me. I don't understand having both an AR/AK
    I mean I guess there are AKs in 5.56 though. But having both AR and AKs means incompatible stuff on your tactical carbine platforms. (generally)

Even in the same platform and caliber you have to watch sometimes, as you get firearms that are ostensibly chambered in a cartridge, but can only use a small subset of ammo made in that cartridge.(ARs in 5.56 and 1/12 twist come to mind, but there are others)

I try and keep the number of calibers I have down to feed.

Everything
    22S/22L/22LR (this is almost a mandatory requirement).
    I have all three 22 calibers. Wife likes the shorts, which I am fine with as they shoot in all but the 22 autos anyway.
    The longs? I dunno why not.. they shoot all my non 22 autos anyway.

Rifle
    5.56/223 (Four ARs that shoot this)
    7.62 Nato (m14)
    30-06 (Garand)
    Now this is a fail on my part here. I was going to put a 308 barrel on the Garand, but ended up not doing so, so i am stuck looking for garand safe 30-06

Pistol
    32 (7.65 Browning)
    380 (9 Short/Corto/Scurt)
    9MM (9 para)
    45ACP
    Done rather well here, having four common pistol calibers.

Shotgun
    12 Gauge
    16 Gauge (Short chambered 2 1/2)
    All my serious shotguns are in 12. But I have Granddads 16 gauge he brought back from germany. Not a big deal, as I will likely never shoot it, but did track down a rare box of new 16 gauge 2 1/2 shells. So really I have 12 gauge and a collectible I will never shoot.

Wife is a levergun,revolver,derringer person, and this would add annoying extra cartridges. Thankfully I politely steered her to guns in the above automatic cartridges or 22.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Rifle
    .22LR
    .223/5.56
    .300 Blackout
    7.62x39mm
    .308 Winchester
    .450 Bushmaster

Pistol
    9mm
    10mm
    .45 ACP

Shotgun
    12 gauge

I'll defer to others on rifle rounds, besides 22LR which is a must keep.

For handgun (besides 22LR) I'd keep 9mm and probably 10mm for the practical giggle factor. I've consolidated to 9mm only in handgun and PDW, but 10mm is the one that peaks my interest for giggles, largely because I haven't shot one, and it's still very practical (more and more handguns such as M&P, Glock, Sig, etc as well as PDWs being chambered and ammo available fairly widely).

I'd drop 45 and 50 unless you have a compelling reason to keep 45 (large investment in a specific platform, etc).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom