• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Red is only removable with significant heat, so it's "permanent" in that it won't come off unless you really want it off.

Unless you're doing mag dumps or sitting in a SBF position, I wouldn't expect it to heat up enough to fall off. Even if it does heat up, you still have it torqued on there (right?) so it won't just fall off.
    Well, I don't do a lot of mag dumps (okay, maybe one or two :):), so that's what I was thinking... that I wouldn't be heating the barrel up enough for it to be an issue.
    As far as torquing it goes, I'll do it as best I can without mangling the knurling on the brake and the jam nut. I know that the red loctite takes quite a bit of heat to remove something that it's been used on. Apparently Century used it to attach the wire side folding stock on the gun. I had to use my propane torch on it to get the screw loose that held it on.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I had the same thing on the folder too! Had to grind off the head of my favorite big screwdriver, grind flats on the shaft, and use a cheater-pipe with my biggest crescent. Was just about ready to throw in the towel and drill the damned thing out when it finally popped. Unbelievable! I guess the drunken monkeys got their paws on a bottle of gorilla glue or something...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had the same thing on the folder too! Had to grind off the head of my favorite big screwdriver, grind flats on the shaft, and use a cheater-pipe with my biggest crescent. Was just about ready to throw in the towel and drill the damned thing out when it finally popped. Unbelievable! I guess the drunken monkeys got their paws on a bottle of gorilla glue or something...

After I heated mine, I used an OLD screwdriver as a chisel and it took several good whacks with that and a hammer on the edge of the slot in the screw to break it loose. They definitely didn't want to encourage changing it out!

Top Bottom