Buying A Used Revolver - What To Look For?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I got the itch to add a few revolvers to my collection and will consider used pieces in good shape if I run across one. My interest is mainly in Smith & Wesson and Ruger models. I'm no gun smith and don't know a whole lot about which things should be checked on a used revolver. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Really no different from a semi handgun.

check for rust, signs of excessive wear on the cylinder (such as the cylinder not locking into place due to notch locks being worn), barrel fouling. If it has wood grips see if theres an rot or serious blemishes, that will tell you what type of owner it had previously.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cracked forcing cones like Yetti462 mentioned and bulged barrels are expensive to fix and the forcing cone problems can be the result of bad timing that NyleRN mentioned. Cycle the action with an eye on any changes in strength required to get the cylinder to turn.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take a feeler gauge set with some small increments and check cylinder gap and cylinder end shake. Ideally gap should be less than 0.006" and end shake should be very minimal 0.002 maybe. These numbers are not hard and fast (pulled out of my head recalling from various places I read about it) and end shake is more an issue with higher power/caliber loads. Each company will have their own spec.

I just got a .41 Magnum revolver that I discovered had about 0.006 end shake. The magnums will hammer the cylinder back and cause damage over time. I installed shims (www.triggershims.com) to take out most of the end shake. But the cylinder gap is about 0.010 so I get a hearty flash out the gap.

I would be more concerned with end shake than cylinder gap, though the greater the gap, the more gas escapes and the less pushes the bullet. Of course, larger gap can result in erosion of the top strap, moreso on an aluminum framed revolver.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom