• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    Simple concept:

My wife and I are going to be looking for a new "forever" home within the next year. Top on my list of must haves is the ability to shoot on my property. What are some things I need to be aware of? I assume not in city limits, but are there other things such as county guidelines, distance from certain structures or highways. Any experience with this concept?

Thanks

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What's beyond the backstop is very important as was recently pointed out. There's better than 3 miles of woods from my backstop to the nearest structure.:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Having as few neighbors as possible near you. You never know who is going to object and it only takes one to make your life miserable. I'd look for an area with very slow growth--not anywhere near a metropolitan area.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What's beyond the backstop is very important as was recently pointed out. There's better than 3 miles of woods from my backstop to the nearest structure.:)

If there isn't a natural hill in place, I have to echo this...backstop is going to be very important because you are responsible for any damage or injury resulting from bullets leaving your property. Be aware of your surroundings.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    If there isn't a natural hill in place, I have to echo this...backstop is going to be very important because you are responsible for any damage or injury resulting from bullets leaving your property. Be aware of your surroundings.

I'm pretty sure I read online that trees make good backstops.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    :laugh:

Did you ever get that resolved?

The prosecutor is still going through pre-trial conferences with both of the individuals who were shooting the day the police responded to the last call. This could take a while, but I will update when we have resolution. I can't say much at this point since it is ongoing.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The prosecutor is still going through pre-trial conferences with both of the individuals who were shooting the day the police responded to the last call. This could take a while, but I will update when we have resolution. I can't say much at this point since it is ongoing.

Gotcha. Just checkin'

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    OP, I actually just went through this same thing, as me an my wife just bought a place an of course shooting on my land was a top priority (unfortunately not so much for her:dunno:) but anyway. The thing I looked for was land that was slopping at a downward angle were Id build my range. The place we bought fit that bill nicely as were I built my shooting benches to were I built the backstop is a nice down grade so my bullet is going toward the ground even though it hits the backstop well before it would ever hit the ground. Another thing is be prepared to spend a few bucks an build a real backstop. One thing it will be safer for everyone involved an it will keep LEO off your back if you have a "Proper" backstop and if there should be someone to complain about your shooting (I contacted my local Sheriffs dtp to find out what "proper" backstop entailed. Also like mentioned make sure there is no structure behind your range, mine has nothing behind it for better than a mile an half an even then I shoot in a direction that the round would end up in a HUGE natural hill side if for some random act it should even get that far. Also if you find a place talk with the neighbors an see if they would have a problem with you shooting if there are any close neighbors to the potential property you would be interested. That way you know if there could be a potential hassle on your hands with that. Hope this helps OP and be safe and good luck:yesway:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    1. Zoning.

2. Time's impact on zoning.

THIS! Although an adequate backstop is necessary, and may be 30' high and 50' thick, a local gov't using a pen on a piece of paper will shut you down. as the saying goes, Location, Location, Location!

Top Bottom