• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thanks for all the info everyone!! This is local beef from a friend that literally lives 5 mintues from my house. The butcher he takes his cattle to sells it in 1/2 or 1/4 and sells the 1/4 as front or hind. My buddy only has a 1/4 side left and I get to pick which end I want.

I really would like a mix, but if I have to pick it looks like the hind quarter is the way to go. I'm a steak guy, and I prefer ribeye, but there seems to be a lot more steak options in the back end.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Guessing I have sold more half's and quarters then anyone else on INGO...
    #1 I don't see how that is relevant, #2 We have how many members now? Pretty bold claim to make that out of 44,000+ people, you've sold more halves and quarters than any other. There are an awful lot of people that don't post as much as us regulars; it's entirely likely some of them aren't posting because they're busy finishing & selling more halves and quarters than you. :):

Regardless the best two cuts of meat come from the front half of a cow, the brisket and ribeye.
    That's entirely subjective...

Last edited:

Hickory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Gibson county
    I sell mine half of a half. Everyone likes the idea of getting some of each.
    One problem with purchasing beef this way is going out for a good steak is ruined because you can never get one as good as you have at home in the freezer.

Hickory

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I got a quarter cow once. The wife unit only cooked what she wanted and left the rest to freezer burn. I had no idea its much easier to get fresh hamburger than to thaw hamburger. My bad.

The coyotes ate well.

Just make sure you eat all of what you get otherwise its not worth it.

Chuck

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    What the hell is "ofal"?

And how much does a half a cow cost?
    I get a half every year.I think a half at say 300 lbs,at ( market value$2.75 a lb.)=$825.00 + the butcher fee say $140.00 . Grand total of $965.00 divided by 300 lbs.= $3.21 per lb. Pretty good for everything from steaks to roasts.We grind lower quality roasts and cuts into burger.= Approx 75 or 80 lbs. Of burger when it is done.We grill year around.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom