• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Been looking through my old gear, and looking to buy some new stuff, and noticed that with items that aren't made any more (from company bankruptcy, new models/discontinued) the prices can range from way over comparable products all the way to serious discounts. How do you y'all research/look around to figure out what going price you are happy to pay/sell for. I usually just check armslist and gunbroker as well as the EE on various sites to get a basic feel but sometimes come across things that don't make sense to me. (The cost of Noveske Gen III Lowers is what got me thinking about this)

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    Looking at gunbroker and ebay (when they allow the sale of it) is probably the best way to gauge it. You could also auction them off that way and the market will do the valuing for you!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Search classifieds here for similiar. The National websites like eBay and gunbroker are typically way off from local value and on top of
    Thst fees and shippings add up quick so what seller is getting isn’t close to ending price

My rule of thumb of not made anymore or rare typically comes down to it wasn’t popular and didn’t sell then and/or it has been greatly updates so value should not be close to
    Current models.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Value to collectors vs value in the general marketplace are 2 seperate issues. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Aution site will find this for you at the moment in time you choose to sell. Larger audience size will increase the likelihood of larger price. AKA, a bigger pool of suckers.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Value to collectors vs value in the general marketplace are 2 seperate issues. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Aution site will find this for you at the moment in time you choose to sell. Larger audience size will increase the likelihood of larger price. AKA, a bigger pool of suckers.
    Agreed. And average income differences seem to play a big role in national sites. 1k in a place like California or the like is way different than 1k here

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    1. Determine value when it was last on the market.

2. Multiply by 200%, place INGO ad stating THIS ITEM IS DISCONTINUED and NO LONGER AVAILABLE !!! & throw in a box of ammo.

3. Knock off $50 if they don't want the ammo.

4. Knock off another $50 if they don't want the scope/holster.

5. Bump the ad 16x in 3 months.

6. Get huffy / withdraw the add / say "Back in the Safe it goes!"

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My rule of thumb of not made anymore or rare typically comes down to it wasn’t popular and didn’t sell then and/or it has been greatly updates so value should not be close to
    Current models.
    If you're applying this logic to accessories then yeah I can get on board with you for the most part. But this is terrible rule of thumb when applying to firearms. Just one example is Colt Pythons. Just because a near mint 1970 4" model with box was discontinued don't think you're gonna buy it for cheaper money than a new production unit.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    If you're applying this logic to accessories then yeah I can get on board with you for the most part. But this is terrible rule of thumb when applying to firearms. Just one example is Colt Pythons. Just because a near mint 1970 4" model with box was discontinued don't think you're gonna buy it for cheaper money than a new production unit.
    Obviously it doesn’t not apply to classics. I assumed that was common sense. Think more people trying to sell SW sigmas for more than a new sd9ve would be

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Obviously it doesn’t not apply to classics. I assumed that was common sense. Think more people trying to sell SW sigmas for more than a new sd9ve would be
    It's really just safe to say that with no matter what the item is its gonna be valued using supply vs demand

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    1. Determine value when it was last on the market.

2. Multiply by 200%, place INGO ad stating THIS ITEM IS DISCONTINUED and NO LONGER AVAILABLE !!! & throw in a box of ammo.

3. Knock off $50 if they don't want the ammo.

4. Knock off another $50 if they don't want the scope/holster.

5. Bump the ad 16x in 3 months.

6. Get huffy / withdraw the add / say "Back in the Safe it goes!"
    Dang it! you've been following my ads.......... Don't forget discontinued means "it's rare!!"
    I haven't rode a Huffy in years.....

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The INGO classifieds are a unique creature. The good definitely outweighs the bad.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would base it on demand of the item. Discontinued and high demand affords you the ability to price it higher. Discontinued and little to no demand and you may as well have a boat anchor.

Supply and demand economics still works!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The simplest way is to list it on an auction site for at or below what you believe to be a fair price. If it doesn't sell lower the price until it does. Most of the time you'll come out way ahead even with the (relatively small) fees you pay and you'll almost certainly avoid being taken advantage of if the items you're selling are collectible.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    What I have seen in non-gun stuff, is you check to see what things have sold for in the past few months, and use that as your baseline for what price you should expect. Note that SOLD FOR, part, not what people have asked for them. The SOLD FOR tells you what price people are buying the item for.

If nothing has been sold in the past 6 months, then It becomes a guessing game.

Top Bottom