flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have no idea what that means.

I did, however, notice the shiny bevels and had to mock you for it.

Beef is a guy at the shop who can't sharpen worth crap. But, then again, it appears that almost all the knives coming out of Busse for about the last 5 years or so don't have much of an edge. Maybe these cheaper steels will be less trouble or they might just keep doing it the way they have to make them more affordable. When I sent mine back to get a factory edge put back on them they were much duller than when I recieved them years ago. Just because someone can run a CNC machine doesn't mean they can sharpen a knife.
    Sorry for the thread drift.

Bob

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Beef is a guy at the shop who can't sharpen worth crap. But, then again, it appears that almost all the knives coming out of Busse for about the last 5 years or so don't have much of an edge. Maybe these cheaper steels will be less trouble or they might just keep doing it the way they have to make them more affordable. When I sent mine back to get a factory edge put back on them they were much duller than when I recieved them years ago. Just because someone can run a CNC machine doesn't mean they can sharpen a knife.
    Sorry for the thread drift.

Bob

Thanks for the explanation, sir!

This begs the question: people pay a significant sum for a Busse knife. Why don't have someone who is competent sharpen them before they leave the factory?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the explanation, sir!

This begs the question: people pay a significant sum for a Busse knife. Why don't have someone who is competent sharpen them before they leave the factory?

"Back in the day", Jerry used to sharpen the blades himself. When I got my REAL Busse Battle Mistress it would shave the hair off my arm. I took it in the front door, tested the edge, went out the back door, chopped 2 treated 4x4s in half and still shaved the hair off my arm. Eventually I had to start using croc sticks and that would keep a good working edge on it. I saw hundreds at the shows that were dull as anything. There was even 1 that had not even had the coating off the edge. I think QC has been slipping for quite some time IMHO.

Bob

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    "Back in the day", Jerry used to sharpen the blades himself. When I got my REAL Busse Battle Mistress it would shave the hair off my arm. I took it in the front door, tested the edge, went out the back door, chopped 2 treated 4x4s in half and still shaved the hair off my arm. Eventually I had to start using croc sticks and that would keep a good working edge on it. I saw hundreds at the shows that were dull as anything. There was even 1 that had not even had the coating off the edge. I think QC has been slipping for quite some time IMHO.

Bob

I have had similar experiences with Busse sharpness.

First ones I bought were damn near razor sharp (especially for their thickness!) The last few I've bought and sold had some uneven and dull edges.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I only have one Busse. Most of us are familiar with my opinion of knives that I think are too thick, but I thought maybe mine was an anomaly for not being sharp (at all). It's sharp now, though. ​Something must have happened to it.

Top Bottom