• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A friend reloads for his grown son who lives out of state. His son sent some 450 BM cases from a rifle he bought used. All the brass is Hornady, but is a mix of large and small primer pockets. I was under the impression it was all made with srp.
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    the original 45 professional (450`s daddy) was based on 284 winchester brass. THOSE had large primers.
    i have messed with the 450 since it was released. i have never seen LRP 450 BRASS
    the cases i have on hand are rem, horn and starline all are SRP
    can you post a pic of said brass

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've never posted pics. I'm sure it's easy and always intended to learn. In the meantime if someone wants to play middleman, pm me an email address and I'll forward pics of 2 cases, one srp and one lrp, both head stamped Hornady 450 Bushmaster.

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    The large primer brass is from Hornady’s sub x loaded ammo. Not sure why they changed but I picked up a box to try and noticed it myself. I haven’t loaded any of the large rifled brass but I’d segregate the brass and retest loads. I doubt you’d see any issue if not loading beyond max. Nor could I verify it was large rifle and not pistol, but I’d assume rifle. I can post pics if the op doesn’t. I also saw someone mention on a forum of getting some factory ammo that wasn’t subx loaded with large as well. Might be just like 45acp in due time.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Yesterday, from Hornady...

Thank you for contacting us. The 450 Bushmaster brass has been produced with both small and large primer pockets. However, the decision was made to change from a small primer pocket to a large primer pocket after July of last year. Cases produced from that point forward will have the large pocket. This change was implemented after extensive testing and in an effort to meet increasing demand for the cartridge. If you are reloading with these cases, it is necessary to keep the cases separated by pocket size, but load development will follow the same charge weights. As for preference, it often comes down to personal choice and the specific application, but the large primer pocket is now the standard for new production. Regarding which is more widely used in the manufacturing process, currently, the large primer pocket is the standard for new 450 Bushmaster brass production. We appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you. Best regards.

Hornady/SnapSafe Tech Team

Top Bottom