• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    i would like to know what most people do when they unholster their automatic each day either at the office or when you get home.

i would prefer to just unload the weapon but bullet setback has been brought up before as a possible problem when chambering the same round every day. is it a real problem?

do you just leave it loaded day in and day out? is this an issue for the striker or hammer spring (if applicable) being compressed for so long?

the other option i can think of would be to drop the round in the chamber and slam the slide forward. but i'm sure this will cause damage to your extractor, so i do not do it. but on that note..

i had a hungarian gkk-45. it had an external extractor that when you eased the slide forward slowly the extractor hook would stop on the back of the case. then you could push on the bach end of the extractor and it would lift the hook and pop it around the case lip and the slide would then be in full battery. with no damage to the weapon or case. why don't other gunmakers do this?

adam

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I only unload about once a week for a quick inspection/cleaning. The round stays chambered (and mag inserted) the rest of the time.

The springs don't wear from being compressed, at least in a meaningful way. They DO wear from cycling, so it is actually worse to load/unload. It would still take many thousands of repetitions, though.

I've heard ejecting unfired rounds can be hard on the ejector. Not sure how much of an issue that is.

I suppose one of these days I could actually measure "setback" and see if it really is an issue.

When I do unload/inspect/clean, I tend to drop the "old" round farther down in the magazine and let a fresh round get chambered. I'll hit the range and burn up that ammo before I get through all the rounds in the mag.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Best to just keep it loaded...

Bullet set back can happen if the same round is loaded multiple times... Some rounds at a faster rate than others...

The set back issue isn't the main reason I keep my EDC chambered all the time... I view it as a safety issue. The fewer times I need to load/unload it, the fewer times I feel I run a chance of having something go wrong...

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My 1911 has a problem with setback for bullets when I rechamber the same round too many times. My XDM has yet to do that with multiple chambering of the same round. Either way. It's always safe to check the round you have in the chamber once in a while and keep track how many times you've chambered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6PAmKLUcbc

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bullet setback is an issue, and it doesn't take long to do it. I have Hornady Critical Defense in a Glock 23 and I've had 4 bullets set back on me. I wasn't aware of the threat until after the first one, and didn't notice until the casing was past the ramp of the bullet and it would catch on the feed ramp and jam everytime.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Bullet setback is an issue, and it doesn't take long to do it. I have Hornady Critical Defense in a Glock 23 and I've had 4 bullets set back on me. I wasn't aware of the threat until after the first one, and didn't notice until the casing was past the ramp of the bullet and it would catch on the feed ramp and jam everytime.
    Apparently .40s in Glocks apparently set back their bullets more than the Glocks in 9mm

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The less messing you do with it, the better. I even leave mine holstered, even though it's attached to my pants. I don't pull the round unless I fire it or I'm cleaning. An idea I had was to load up a california mag just for +1 loads; this will spread the damage out, and you could save all the ones you've +1'd with for the next range trip.

I don't think ejecting an unspent round would mess with the ejector; it's just a spring pushing it out of the receiver. I am skeptical of dropping the slide on an unfired round, not just because the inertia of the firing pin might (very unlikely, but still) fire it, but the extractor impacts the shell pretty hard and has to ride over it into the slot. I want to be nice to my extractor.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN

I too have Critical Defense in my Glock 19. No setbacks though. The Critical Defense line according to Hornady are "cannelured and crimped to avoid bullet setback."

Maybe different calibers have more/less setback than others?:dunno:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe different calibers have more/less setback than others?:dunno:

I would surely think other variables would be factors before the caliber would... You probably just hear more often about a caliber or two simply because they are more popular...

Other variables that could lead to more set back would be proper case/mouth tension of that particular box of ammo, the feed ramp of your gun, how much the powder fills the case, crimp plays a small role, ect...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    eldirector;3064814[COLOR=red said:
    ]I only unload about once a week for a quick inspection/cleaning. The round stays chambered (and mag inserted) the rest of the time.[/COLOR]

The springs don't wear from being compressed, at least in a meaningful way. They DO wear from cycling, so it is actually worse to load/unload. It would still take many thousands of repetitions, though.

I've heard ejecting unfired rounds can be hard on the ejector. Not sure how much of an issue that is.

I suppose one of these days I could actually measure "setback" and see if it really is an issue.

When I do unload/inspect/clean, I tend to drop the "old" round farther down in the magazine and let a fresh round get chambered. I'll hit the range and burn up that ammo before I get through all the rounds in the mag.

^^ This is pretty much what I do^^

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not unload my carry guns, unless I take them to the range. Once a round has been chambered once, it goes to the bottom of the mag. Once all of them have been loaded once, they get fired and replaced. I have done some set back testing with blank reloads, but never with factory ammo. I'm not going to take any chances with my carry ammo.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How big of a problem is this? certain guns worse than others?

With too much setback it's like shooting a hotter round with the increased pressure inside the round.
    I dont think it's that big of a problem with most guns and most rounds.
    All guns can fire a +P+ round without a problem (one time anyway), so a regular round with a setback shouldn't be a problem.
    Now if it's a +P+ round with a setback it would be even more pressure but I still dont think it would be a problem for you or for the gun.
    So I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    It's not like a tiny setback makes the round charged with TNT.

And yes it's not a problem at all with revolvers. :D

Top Bottom