• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Long story short, I'm looking for two hemispherical ends off of a bulk propane tank.

I need them to be different sizes, one about 40 inch diameter and the other about 48.

One guy I talk with says that 41 inches is as large as they come. I have a hard time buying that since I seem to recall reading about guys cutting up larger diameter tanks.

Anyone with any experience in converting these to BBQs or something similar have any info to offer regarding their sizes?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Are you building a bbq pit? If so, be very careful cutting it. I've heard of filling it with water before cutting it, but I've not done it myself.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Not quite, but similar. Its a project that has been on the back burner for awhile and I certainly don't plan on blowing myself up cutting into a tank full of gas.:rolleyes:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    40 inches is the largest I've seen in propane tanks, but I've never looked for anything bigger than 36. The tank doesn't have to be full to be explosive. If you live close to Kokomo, I've got a plasma cutter that would make life easier ...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Are you building a bbq pit? If so, be very careful cutting it. I've heard of filling it with water before cutting it, but I've not done it myself.

Not quite, but similar. Its a project that has been on the back burner for awhile and I certainly don't plan on blowing myself up cutting into a tank full of gas.:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure he didnt mean with a full tank of gas. But the left over fumes can still blow up. If I recall correctly a father son team blew up their garage somewhere in town a couple years ago and either died or came close to it when cutting "empty" grill sized tanks.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I appreciate the sentiments and genuine concern for my well-being. I promise not to die during the construction of this project.

Unfortunately I don't live close to Kokomo, but a plasma cutter does seem the way to go. For the amount of cutting required, it would probably be cheaper just to pay someone to do it rather than buy a cutter. I can't imagine having much need for one after this.

Ohh, a quick google search shows sunbelt rents them for about $100 a week.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have tried to buy older tanks to use as an air pressure tank to run my rock drills at my quarry. Since I don't want to spend the $$$$ to buy a new tank, and the tank will be located in a protected area and filled with 100psi air max I'm not worried about catastrophic failure. But they are impossible to find for scrap. I don't drill enough to buy a larger compressor at $5k for a used one, I've got a bunch of 100lb tanks I use now filled by a couple smaller compressors.

So if while you are looking you find several for scrap that will still hold pressure, I'm interesting in anywhere from 300-1000gallon size and will pay a little better than scrap price. I'd even pay a finder's fee :D

Top Bottom