• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Just my rant about the bureaucratic BS that is Marion County code enforcement.

My wife and I wanted to build a small pergola on our back patio. I figured I should give code enforcement a call, just in case. Found out that for a 10'x10' pergola I would have to submit plans, get them reviewed, pay for an improvement permit, a structural permit and get it inspected, totaling about $400....for something to hang plants off of. Are you kidding me? :xmad:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I built a 4400sf house including basement, first, and second floor, well, septic and a 4000sf pole barn. To my knowledge, the inspectors that ever set foot on my property were the soil test guy and the county health guy for my septic. I had to get a building permit for the barn and house and don't think I spent over $500 combined.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Same **** here in Clark Co. for the most part. And we have a flea bag motel right on the highway that has at least 3 meth lab raids per week, and the powers that be can do nothing about it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Regarding building permits, my Dad always started with this question: "Can you see it from the road?" "Course we didn't have any nosy neighbors.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Regarding building permits, my Dad always started with this question: "Can you see it from the road?" "Course we didn't have any nosy neighbors.

My nearest neighbor is about 6-700' across the road from me. I can't honestly recall physically seeing my neighbors in 4-6 months.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    OK, why did you ask a question like that of someone from the government?

Some of the folks in my neighborhood wanted to form an HOA, I went down to the meeting the neighborhood meeting where they were discussing it and presented information on how HOA's lower home values and are a PITA. My neighbors loved it but I ticked off several of the local busy bodies. Figured I don't want to give them any ammo.

The funny thing is, we still have my 300 acre farm and cabin down in Kentucky (my retirement :D) and I pay less in property taxes for it than I do for my house and tiny lot in Indy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Here, anything intended for human habitation with a roof requires the mother-may-I. Decks are free as long as the foundation goes below the freeze line, sheds, no problem. A pergola, though it's not really for habitation, and it's not really a roof, is for habitation and has a roof. That's not confusing at all, is it? Really, they're usually so busy it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission for small stuff like that. Wouldn't try to build a house or addition without dotting my t's and crossing my eyes, though.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Some of the folks in my neighborhood wanted to form an HOA, I went down to the meeting the neighborhood meeting where they were discussing it and presented information on how HOA's lower home values and are a PITA. My neighbors loved it but I ticked off several of the local busy bodies. Figured I don't want to give them any ammo.

The funny thing is, we still have my 300 acre farm and cabin down in Kentucky (my retirement :D) and I pay less in property taxes for it than I do for my house and tiny lot in Indy.

Serious question here. Let's say there's a cluster of 10 houses in a small area. 6 or 8 of the homeowners want to vote in an HOA on all 10 houses. Can the 2-4 homeowners who voted against it be forced to participate and be bound by the rules of the HOA? I wouldn't abide by it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Serious question here. Let's say there's a cluster of 10 houses in a small area. 6 or 8 of the homeowners want to vote in an HOA on all 10 houses. Can the 2-4 homeowners who voted against it be forced to participate and be bound by the rules of the HOA? I wouldn't abide by it.
    They would need you to agree to it. If the HOA was there when you moved in you're pretty much screwed as you have to agree to close on the deal in most cases... If it's not there when you moved in - if you don't want to join, then refuse - to my knowledge there is nothing they can do to force you to be a part of their 'group'. That isn't to say they won't harass you either way.

A good friend of mine lives in a neighborhood that was taken over by a HOA and they tried to force him into becoming a part of it but he basically told them to pound sand.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I got a building permit for a deck in New Castle. It was my first home. Paid the $25 or whatever and was told I couldn't fill the holes with concrete until it was inspected and he would be there at 9am on whatever day. I waited until 1pm, finally said screw it and took pictures of my 36" level in each hole to document depth and moved on. I called the office the next day and they said the inspector usually doesn't show up for decks. I lost half a day of work by trying to follow the rules. Annoying.

A permit is a good way to ensure your property gets reassessed with the addition as soon as possible.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    There are free standing aluminum pergolas you could buy that wouldn't require permits since they are just decorations. They are pretty pricey, but well built.

Our "new" house apparently has a covenant that restricts almost EVERYTHING (no sheds!) and we're going to be running that turd of a document into the ground as we were never shown or notified of this agreement when we moved in and only 1 of a dozen houses is 100% compliant. FYI these are 3 acre lots 7 miles outside of a small town.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I got a building permit for a deck in New Castle. It was my first home. Paid the $25 or whatever and was told I couldn't fill the holes with concrete until it was inspected and he would be there at 9am on whatever day. I waited until 1pm, finally said screw it and took pictures of my 36" level in each hole to document depth and moved on. I called the office the next day and they said the inspector usually doesn't show up for decks. I lost half a day of work by trying to follow the rules. Annoying.

A permit is a good way to ensure your property gets reassessed with the addition as soon as possible.

That's the main purpose of the building permits. A taxing scheme. And for your neighbors to control your property.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008

My neighborhood is about 300 homes. The information the neighborhood association presented is that they would need 90% or 95% of the homes to agree to it. They tried to imply that they could sue the holdouts to force them in. I politely informed them that I could afford a better lawyer and could drag out the proceedings long enough to bleed them dry through their own lawyer's fees. I've since discovered that the neighborhood association is also in violation of their own bylaws as they don't hold elections and only have one public meeting a year.

Top Bottom