Building a Sten Mark II semi auto pistol.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    about how much does it cost to build one of these? And is there any way to make it a vertical mag instead of a horizontal? That is one reason i have never been crazy about stens the mag just seems awkward.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    about how much does it cost to build one of these? And is there any way to make it a vertical mag instead of a horizontal? That is one reason i have never been crazy about stens the mag just seems awkward.

Indianapolis ordinance makes a vertical fed kit for all the Sten versions. The semi auto kit and the tube for the receiver. All that runs around 400 or so then the cost I of the kit..that very's a lot. I am toying with the idea of a drum fed.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My dovetail cutter finally showed today. And the new vise came in for the mill. But sadly the new vise sits to low. Now I have to order some precision ground bar stock and make a spacer. Or find a machine shop that can mill a plate. I think the bar stock ideal will do. If I can't get the stock before the weekend I will mill it at my buddy's place. I am eager to get a finish on this thing!!

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy

I just bought a sten mkIII kit Sunday night off gunbroker for $171 , which includes the shipping. I hope I actually get the one he posted, it had all the tabs, and looked clean. I've seen a few where the come covered in cosmoline in plastic bags.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just bought a sten mkIII kit Sunday night off gunbroker for $171 , which includes the shipping. I hope I actually get the one he posted, it had all the tabs, and looked clean. I've seen a few where the come covered in cosmoline in plastic bags.

You really want the cosmo covered ones. They were most likely rearsonaled before they were cut up. Check to see if it comes with a barrel. If it does and it is a good barrel you just saved a lot of money!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I got a bit more done. Froze our butts off in the garage! My son and I milled the front sight dovetail. All went well. No issues! I have never done a dovetail before. It was easy. My boy did most of the cranking on the mill. It's a inexpensive 3 in 1 machine. It is fine for this stuff. I had hoped to use it to cut my receiver tube but sadly I did not have the vise in at the time and I could not wait :-) Sorry some of the pics are crappy.

My boy running the mill:

Part way threw the first pass with a .250 cutter

The .250 slot cut:

Here is a video my boy took of the dovetail being cut. It is not a very close shot. But you get the ideal of what's going on. It is a .300 cutter and the slot needs to be .314. So it took a few passes to widen it up till the sight was a press fit. I was worried I would cut it to wide but I used small cuts and multiple passes till I got it just right.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYfasLODzgs

The sight in place:
    Top view

Side view

I used a brass drift to hammer it home. Really snug but no metal shaving as I drove it in place!

I am really happy so far. I need to sight it in and then take it all apart for coating. Really close to being done. My moly resin arrived today. I am going to have to find a warmer place to paint. The garage is way to cold! I have never used it and am not sure how smelly it is so I don't know about painting with it inside. Any comments Indygunworks? I know you have a lot of experience with it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    its not terrible once you start spraying. I sprayed in my garaged and baked the parts in the house. It would smell the house up for about an hour then it would be fine. and it wasn't a HORRIBLE smell either while its baking, not a chemically smell at all. maybe I just got used to it, but I don't really even remember the stuff smelling while spraying it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used guncoat on some motorcycle engine parts and baked in the house. Wife was seriously pissed off for a while. Stunk up the whole place.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I had a chance to go to range. We had a great time at the Kodiak range. As usual! I sighted the Sten with a Lazer. It was close enough for me. I am a shaky shooter due to health issues but this was pretty good for my old eyes. 9mm at 25yd's

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Bump. Just came across this thread. Super cool. It seems like most of the good stuff like this is buried on INGO. As they say, "the search function is your friend"

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Bump. Just came across this thread. Super cool. It seems like most of the good stuff like this is buried on INGO. As they say, "the search function is your friend"

LOL, thank you for the kind comments. A Mark III is just about done. Welding is pretty much all that's left. more info to come on that project.

Top Bottom