• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    First off, hot weather, and I are old enemies, so I limit my exposure.

Secondly, the wife is out of work during the summer (teacher's aid) and I'm on VA disability,
    so limited funds to start, plus now down a check... no new Jeep parts.

To top it all off, I've been sick. No solid poop in last 2 months. (what a pretty picture that was huh?) They're still trying to figure it out, but long story short... been very tired, and weak as of late. If you're the praying type, I could use a mention to the good Lord.

Speaking of being thankful... Got the windshield frame back today! Not sure when I'll be able to go have glass put in it, but I just had to slap it on for a test fit. They messed up one screw on one of the hinges, so looks like I'm hitting scrap yards looking for another M35A1 to scrounge off, but it's otherwise done. Already had the cash to pay the bill, thank God. (had sold a gun) 28 hrs of machine shop work... but it will be the signature piece of the vehicle.

14c.jpg 14d.jpg 14e.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know what you mean about the heat. My garage the last few days has been a low of 88 and up over 90. I'm not working on my xj either.

It's not worth sweating like crazy, fogging up my safety glasses and dripping sweat on everything. It's a project, not a daily driver.

Take care of yourself. You can become dehydrated with the lack of solids exiting your body so try to get fluids in you.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    First off, hot weather, and I are old enemies, so I limit my exposure.

Secondly, the wife is out of work during the summer (teacher's aid) and I'm on VA disability,
    so limited funds to start, plus now down a check... no new Jeep parts.

To top it all off, I've been sick. No solid poop in last 2 months. (what a pretty picture that was huh?) They're still trying to figure it out, but long story short... been very tired, and weak as of late. If you're the praying type, I could use a mention to the good Lord.

Speaking of being thankful... Got the windshield frame back today! Not sure when I'll be able to go have glass put in it, but I just had to slap it on for a test fit. They messed up one screw on one of the hinges, so looks like I'm hitting scrap yards looking for another M35A1 to scrounge off, but it's otherwise done. Already had the cash to pay the bill, thank God. (had sold a gun) 28 hrs of machine shop work... but it will be the signature piece of the vehicle.

View attachment 210050 View attachment 210051 View attachment 210052

I hope your **** gets almost as solid as your build.....sincerely.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Yes, seriously hope they figure out what's wrong and get you fixed up. Prayers sent. I really enjoy seeing the progress your making on Jeep 2 1/2. I had to drive a 1974 Deuce down to Mississippi for Hurricane Katrina when I was in the Army Guard.....that was an experience!!!! I did "learn" to sleep when I wasn't driving. Good ear plugs with muffs on, almost drowned out the noise of that deuce exhaust....almost.
    Every time we stopped, she got a quart or two of oil when filling the diesel. One good thing, she smoked so much, mosquitoes stayed a hundred yards away..... The 6x6 capability of the deuce or even the 5 tons were impressive. Lots of memories of the "helo-deuce" saving us infantry folks from our muddy LPC transports....for the non-military types LPC= Leather Personal Carrier...aka "the combat boot"!!! In Iraq, we had to borrow a 5 ton from another unit. The heat of that Iraqi desert was hard on us and equipment. I remember when the other unit dropped the 5 ton off. "Put a half a gallon of oil in a day, and keep that radiator topped off!!!", said their mechanic, "and don't shut it off!!!!" It had a starter solenoid problem, and they didn't have a replacement, and it was an act of God to get it started. So......that 5 ton ran for almost 3 months straight in BFI!!!!! (Bum "Fubar" Iraq). I wish I would have been in the Army when the Jeeps were still taking care of business. Humvees just aren't as cool......and do get stuck in 12" of snow at Grayling, MI!!! but not the deuce!!!! 2.5 bobsleds are hard to stop!!!!
    "and the Army goes rolling along......."

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, seriously hope they figure out what's wrong and get you fixed up. Prayers sent. I really enjoy seeing the progress your making on Jeep 2 1/2. I had to drive a 1974 Deuce down to Mississippi for Hurricane Katrina when I was in the Army Guard.....that was an experience!!!! I did "learn" to sleep when I wasn't driving. Good ear plugs with muffs on, almost drowned out the noise of that deuce exhaust....almost.
    Every time we stopped, she got a quart or two of oil when filling the diesel. One good thing, she smoked so much, mosquitoes stayed a hundred yards away..... The 6x6 capability of the deuce or even the 5 tons were impressive. Lots of memories of the "helo-deuce" saving us infantry folks from our muddy LPC transports....for the non-military types LPC= Leather Personal Carrier...aka "the combat boot"!!! In Iraq, we had to borrow a 5 ton from another unit. The heat of that Iraqi desert was hard on us and equipment. I remember when the other unit dropped the 5 ton off. "Put a half a gallon of oil in a day, and keep that radiator topped off!!!", said their mechanic, "and don't shut it off!!!!" It had a starter solenoid problem, and they didn't have a replacement, and it was an act of God to get it started. So......that 5 ton ran for almost 3 months straight in BFI!!!!! (Bum "Fubar" Iraq). I wish I would have been in the Army when the Jeeps were still taking care of business. Humvees just aren't as cool......and do get stuck in 12" of snow at Grayling, MI!!! but not the deuce!!!! 2.5 bobsleds are hard to stop!!!!
    "and the Army goes rolling along......."
    Were you "stationed" at Camp Graying? When I was a kid, we used to run around the woods near a place called Camp Arrowhead. It was some cabins stuck in the woods along the Manistee.

My brother and I would take our rifles and head into the woods shooting birds, sticks, cans, whatever. Occasionally we would come across Guardsman running the two tracks in Jeeps.

Being a kid, I thought it was cool.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Were you "stationed" at Camp Graying? When I was a kid, we used to run around the woods near a place called Camp Arrowhead. It was some cabins stuck in the woods along the Manistee.

My brother and I would take our rifles and head into the woods shooting birds, sticks, cans, whatever. Occasionally we would come across Guardsman running the two tracks in Jeeps.

Being a kid, I thought it was cool.
    No, I think they would send the Infantry to Michigan, so it could "suck even more!!!!"....lol. I think it was because Atterbury was too busy so they would send us NORTH to enjoy wintery weather.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Any news, daddyusmaximus???
    Yes, and no. I don't have ass cancer (yet) but they don't have any answer on what ails me either.

Must have been some kind of computer virus where you unplug it and plug it back in again, because getting all cleaned out, (for the test) then filling everything back up seems to have worked. At least for now. I'm pooping again... lol.

Still been feeling weak, and the heat doesn't make things better, but I did finally get back out to the garage. Did some tinkering on a new dash today. The one I ordered online just wasn't gonna work. None of the holes lined up. I mean, they were way off. Wobbling them out wouldn't even have worked. Had to start over. These weren't right either, but they were close enough that wobbling them out will work... Decided to add a glovebox, (from a deuce and a half) so the data plates are gonna have to be adjusted, but as I've stated before, this isn't a reproduction of a military vehicle, it's a tribute to the military, and has touches of more than one vehicle from my service added, as well as off road mods, and a bit of hot-rod flair.

14f.jpg 14g.jpg 14h.jpg 14i.jpg 14j.jpg

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Yes, and no. I don't have ass cancer (yet) but they don't have any answer on what ails me either.

Must have been some kind of computer virus where you unplug it and plug it back in again, because getting all cleaned out, (for the test) then filling everything back up seems to have worked. At least for now. I'm pooping again... lol.

Still been feeling weak, and the heat doesn't make things better, but I did finally get back out to the garage. Did some tinkering on a new dash today. The one I ordered online just wasn't gonna work. None of the holes lined up. I mean, they were way off. Wobbling them out wouldn't even have worked. Had to start over. These weren't right either, but they were close enough that wobbling them out will work... Decided to add a glovebox, (from a deuce and a half) so the data plates are gonna have to be adjusted, but as I've stated before, this isn't a reproduction of a military vehicle, it's a tribute to the military, and has touches of more than one vehicle from my service added, as well as off road mods, and a bit of hot-rod flair.

View attachment 219039 View attachment 219040 View attachment 219041 View attachment 219042 View attachment 219043
    Keep it up!!!!!…..and the Army goes rolling along……

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Work continues, slowly as usual. I've been working on several parts of the Jeep at once, but that's just because I think I have some form of AFHD, and I always seem to (Oh look, a squirrel) jump on a different thing each time I go out to the garage...

A week or so back, I started in on Brandy's seat.

14n.jpg 14o.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    A few days later I decided it was time to build me a new battery box. I'm no expert, but I think the metal I'm using is like 14 gage...? Anyhow, whatever it is, looks strong enough. It was strong enough to be an absolute bear to bend with my little Harbor Freight brake. In fact, I started bending the little handles, and even thought I was going to rip a bite out of the front of my workbench. Once I got the big bend done, I went back to the old method of hammer and vice.

14p.jpg 14q.jpg 14r.jpg 14s.jpg 14t.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Yesterday, and today I was working on the antenna mounts. These will go on the rear corners of the Jeep. Even though the CJ7 more closely resembles an M38A1, I'm going for the kind of mounts with the matching units we had on our M151s. The trick is to make them look like the military ones. (even though it's just for a CB radio) I found surplus ones on eBay out in Pennsylvania, but the seller was charging like $90 (each) just for shipping...! WT actual F?

OK, make by scratch it is. Bend, cut, drill, oh, and make a circle (top plate for the matching unit) by cutting straight lines with a grinder (cut off wheel) then rounding it off with another grinder and regular disc. They're not done yet, they're cut out wrong (I need to trim) and I have some cut-outs to make yet... but I got a good start on them. One will have an antenna, and the other will have a whoppie light like they had us put on our vehicles to help prevent crashes when road marching on the autobahn.

14u.png 14v.jpg 14w.jpg 14x.jpg 14y.jpg

14z.jpg
    14za.jpg

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Cooler temp prevail, and with it not being ninety eleven degrees out, comes progress on the Jeep. However, one project has fallen by the wayside... I will not be doing the little yard cart build. At least not in the near future. Had a yard sale, and sold a bunch of old army stuff a couple weeks back, so now I have this to run around on...
    No need to build something. Run to the post office, go get pizza, go to the hardware store for a bolt for the Jeep...
    OMG this is the best thing I've bought in years.

309076643_3224954314419706_2568190671560649480_n.jpg

Top Bottom