• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Man youre making me want to overnight parts! Very nice! I went with a FDE upper receiver and will have the barrel cerecoated FDE with FDE mags, grip and butt stock. The rest will be black.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Does an AR15 buffer tube work on a 308 or is the diameter different? Do you have a weight on your build minus the optics?

Yes, but you have to use a 308 carbine buffer which is shorter and 308 carbine buffer spring.
    I have 2 308 carbine buffer springs and 1 308 carbine buffer if you are interested. PM me for details.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Yes, but you have to use a 308 carbine buffer which is shorter and 308 carbine buffer spring.
    I have 2 308 carbine buffer springs and 1 308 carbine buffer if you are interested. PM me for details.

there's also 308 rifle buffers and springs.
    there's also use of the a5 buffers/RE, the details of which escape me. I think you had to use the ar10 spring. (I think the A5 RE and ar10 RE are the same length).
    the whole RE/buffer thing was the hardest piece for me to figure out, there's quite a few combinations of RE/buffers/springs.
    I ended up going rifle length, and just used dpms buffer/spring. easy 'nuf.

-rvb

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    If I remember correctly, the empty rifle weight right around 10lbs, with out the optic and rings. That being said, the UBR stock is pretty hefty, I could easily drop a pound by going with a different stock.

You can use a standard ar15 buffer tube if you use the DPMS 308 specific carbine buffer and spring.

to make things more confusing Armalite uses a longer tube.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    there's also 308 rifle buffers and springs.
    there's also use of the a5 buffers/RE, the details of which escape me. I think you had to use the ar10 spring. (I think the A5 RE and ar10 RE are the same length).
    the whole RE/buffer thing was the hardest piece for me to figure out, there's quite a few combinations of RE/buffers/springs.
    I ended up going rifle length, and just used dpms buffer/spring. easy 'nuf.

-rvb

Correct. If you use an AR-15 RE, you have to use the DPMS 308 carbine buffer which is shorter and the 308 DPMS carbine spring.
    I prefer using the VLTOR A5 RE/AR-10 RE which uses the AR-10 spring along with regular AR-15 buffers which I run a H3. I like having all the same buffers for my ARs.
    Then there is just the regular 'ole rifle length spring and buffer.
    Yes, it gets very confusing on the 308 platform.:)

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Wow I guess! Since I can use a ar15 tube, I have a carbine tube laying around so I'll just use the 308 carbine buffer and spring? Is that right?

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I haven't yet had the chance to really test my Faxon barrel. So it's hard for me to give any real feedback.

Now that the weather is getting nice, I'm hoping to get out and get some range time with it. In sure a good trigger would help.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Looking at a Faxon 18" medium tapered barrel and a Ares Armor NiB bcg. Any thoughts?

No experience with that bcg but my dad started his build with a Faxon 18" and it would shoot a 3" group at 100. He swapped it for a Mega 18" and now shoots at or just under moa with Federal Gold Medal match ammo. I then went with a Mega and it's done very well.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Looking at a Faxon 18" medium tapered barrel and a Ares Armor NiB bcg. Any thoughts?

Never heard of them. Since you said this:

Criteria are ... sub moa,

why go with an unknown? Krieger, criterion, Jp, etc. If you're going to splurge, do it here, Imo. Even dpms has a reputation for good .30 barrels. Go w. Something w. A good reputation if you want accuracy.

:twocents:

-rvb

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I know but the part about under$1500 is also important.ive heard good things about faxon but am also looking at a rainier arms 16". I wasnt expecting $300 for a bcg! 16" barrels are also hard to find. Everyone is out of stock!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I know but the part about under$1500 is also important.ive heard good things about faxon but am also looking at a rainier arms 16". I wasnt expecting $300 for a bcg! 16" barrels are also hard to find. Everyone is out of stock!

I'd go with an Aim bcg for under $200. Heck, even a PSA if you dont mind a possible wait. My last 2 orders have shipped with 24 hours. Mega barrels guaranteed sub moa but I don't see them in stock anywhere.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

Rainier makes a great barrel. It usually takes a week to get your order since they are out of Washington. I just ordered a Noveske barrel from them and it took about 6 business days. Their barrels are top-notch though and guarantee sub MOA with Match ammo.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Rainier makes a great barrel. It usually takes a week to get your order since they are out of Washington. I just ordered a Noveske barrel from them and it took about 6 business days. Their barrels are top-notch though and guarantee sub MOA with Match ammo.

The wait wont bother me, i ordered Aero Precision recievers and they are out of Washington.

Top Bottom