• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gasman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    for a wide variety of vehicles, start looking at the MVPA, military Vehicle Preservation Assocation.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm really wanting a 77-79 F250 4x4 myself. Either that or a ford truck from the 80s-90's with mechanical diesel injection and no electronic controls for the engine.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    like Farmboy there I'd love to have a 78-79 Ford 4x4. Used to have one as a plow truck and loved it! Fixed a power stering hose leak with duct tape and it lasted for 5 years lol

But, i have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I will get to turn into a bug out vehicle here as soon as the wife gets her a new Jeep.. Still trying to figure out what all I want to do to it! Ideas welcome!

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    like Farmboy there I'd love to have a 78-79 Ford 4x4. Used to have one as a plow truck and loved it! Fixed a power stering hose leak with duct tape and it lasted for 5 years lol

But, i have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I will get to turn into a bug out vehicle here as soon as the wife gets her a new Jeep.. Still trying to figure out what all I want to do to it! Ideas welcome!

roof rack, with basket, HID's all across the front.

3 in lift, more aggressive tires.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

We too have a GC it is a 2000. We bought new tires recently.. Goodyear Duratracs. Very aggressive looking and very little road noise. To hear it you actually have to roll up the windows and even then it is not very noticeable.

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

gasman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    I have an M1009, - 1985 Chevy blazer, 6.2L diesel w/THM400 & govlock rearend. It's a little strange with the 24/12 volt system.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Might be a good idea to get a diesel, or have parts to covert over to alcohol. Fuel will be a big dilemma in a SHTF scenario. And non turbo diesel might be the best bet over a longer haul. Diesel is much easier to keep however, but alcohol is easier to make with fewer tools.

However that being said, my cherokee is a fantastic off road vehicle, reasonable cargo room, great off road capabilities and easily maneuverable. To boot there should be a ton of relic vehicles around to pirate parts off of. :D

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    However that being said, my cherokee is a fantastic off road vehicle, reasonable cargo room, great off road capabilities and easily maneuverable. To boot there should be a ton of relic vehicles around to pirate parts off of. :D

I hope the Cash4Clunkers didnt get rid of too many of them. My womans sister traded a 98 Cherokee in on a new car. A lot of the footage I have seen on the news has shown Cherokees in the lots of the dealers that were turned in.

A diesel truck is just not in the cards for me, I cant keep something that big around. I was definitely looking at going the cherokee route too. I have always liked them.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Jeep's inline six is an excellent engine, with lots of torque and reliability. That would be my second choice.

Currently have a 3500 Dodge dually with 4WD, 6.7ltr cummins, auxilary bed mounted fuel system (minus tank right now - pump + plumbing still intact), factory ride height, and front winch + brushguard (not yet mounted).
    My main concern is dirty diesel and what the particulate filter will endure. If they are cut out/bypassed I dont know how the ECU will react. I had better study up on it.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    The Jeep's inline six is an excellent engine, with lots of torque and reliability. That would be my second choice.

Currently have a 3500 Dodge dually with 4WD, 6.7ltr cummins, auxilary bed mounted fuel system (minus tank right now - pump + plumbing still intact), factory ride height, and front winch + brushguard (not yet mounted).
    My main concern is dirty diesel and what the particulate filter will endure. If they are cut out/bypassed I dont know how the ECU will react. I had better study up on it.
    Have you looked into buying, making a rebuildable fuel filter, or a pre filter? I know on a lot of vehicles we have, we try to use a secondary filter with a cleanable element.

Do you know much about the older 5.9 cummins? I am looking at buying one, but haven't researched them yet.

As far as the cash for clunkers, I bet a lot of them did go, but many of us cherokee devotees have a few parts vehicles already. I have spotted several others in the area, just in case I need to barter for some parts later on.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Have you looked into buying, making a rebuildable fuel filter, or a pre filter? I know on a lot of vehicles we have, we try to use a secondary filter with a cleanable element.

Do you know much about the older 5.9 cummins? I am looking at buying one, but haven't researched them yet.

As far as the cash for clunkers, I bet a lot of them did go, but many of us cherokee devotees have a few parts vehicles already. I have spotted several others in the area, just in case I need to barter for some parts later on.
    The 5.9 cummins is a proven reliable engine, more so without high perf. upgrades. Find a stock one with a manual tranny and you are better off. You will have far more problems with the Dodge wrapped around it than you will with the motor. I drive an '03 GMC diesel but in a shtf situation an older all mechanical diesel would probably be the way to go. I like the other posters train of thought with the military blazer with the 6.2l diesel.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    My jeep should be able to get me anywhere that I "need" to go, plus it has some decent cargo space

IMG_4514.jpg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I currently have a Cherokee, inline 6, with close to a quarter of a million miles on it and it runs like a top. I plan on trying to see how long I can keep it on the road. It would be my choice for my BOV since I have it and it is paid for. I picked it up with 193K on it for 2K 7 years ago. Probably the best auto buy I have ever had, even though some things are falling off of it now.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Yeah, my cherokee has about the same mileage. Had it for 12 years. It's seen it all pretty well. Doesn't look that pretty, but it still runs great and will do most anything that other 4x4's do, just better. It's only weakness is towing. It pulls regular trailers fine, even towing a car, but I wouldn't want to try hauling my front end loader with it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, it's an 01 Tundra with the wife in a 99 Subaru Outback Sport in company if we need to take two vehicles. I've always been a fan of the Dodge Powerwagon and M37 and would jump at the chance of swapping the Tundra for one of those.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the Toyota FJ Cruiser. It has great ground clearance and a pretty big engine. The gas mileage is lousy (17 mpg) but the new 2010 version is supposed to be more efficient.

Top Bottom