• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I like 5.11 products generally but I think there are others out there more suitable. I recommend that you assemble all the items you want in your car/get home bag first, then start shopping for a bag big enough to carry all that.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Anyone tried the 5.11 bail out bag? I was thinking about getting one of these as a car bag. It also looks like it might make a nice range bag.

My wife and I use those for range bags. They work well for that. I think as a bail out bag there are better options if you need to carry items for an extended period of time, such as a quality hunting back pack with hydration carrier.

If you need a good bag to keep items in for a quick grab and go for stationary use only (like you are bugging out at home) the 5.11 bag would be pretty good.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've got one of the 5.11 bail out bags and I seldom use it. Too small for most of my needs. Unless you're a survival guru and used to deprivation, you aren't going to carry enough stuff in one to get you through more than about 12 hours.

quidapida

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Great thread...I've realized I need to make some adjustments to my BOB. I bought one pre-packaged off of eBay, and it's cool, but I'm realizing now I need to have much different inventory. Are there any groups that have pre-determined meeting spots for an emergency situation? I've often thought about gathering some folks to plan a shared resource facility, but have always wondered if they already exist.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I'm going to take another moment in this thread and mention eye care.

Safety glasses, one clear and one shaded, weigh very little, cost very little, and are omitted frequently. I have one good eye, so I use them at home and work for most tasks that might create debris.

Checklite

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I noticed you don't have a larger survival type knife or axe. I know it adds weight, but I would think that to be an essential. I might be missing something too?

BoxingRef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cincy
    Hi all.

I've read thru the first ten or so pages till my eyes were red and I didn't notice one thing that I thought someobody would have somewhere... that is the "Casting Net" for fish. Fish provide protein and you can gather much, much more with a net. Many third world villages use nets... ... i just honestly think the string and hook would be a major waste of time unless absolute stealth is requred...
    Love the subject... Any input!
    Be safe all!

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Hi all.

I've read thru the first ten or so pages till my eyes were red and I didn't notice one thing that I thought someobody would have somewhere... that is the "Casting Net" for fish. Fish provide protein and you can gather much, much more with a net. Many third world villages use nets... ... i just honestly think the string and hook would be a major waste of time unless absolute stealth is requred...
    Be safe all!

It all depends on what your plan is. My primary intention is to stay put. But in the event I do decide to leave, I have no intentions to stop and fish. My primary objective is to head to my destination with as little down time as possible.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Great thread. This prompted me to consider what I would really need if the SHTF. I had a few items mostly focused on medical emergency care, but no consideration the the larger picture. Now, I have made 2 more trips to add critical items to the kit and keep reading more to get more views. Thanks to all for the detailed lists and photos.

Its great to talk with the family about the need for a kit (like how quickly a grocery store would be empty in a real emergency).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Hi all.

Be safe all!

Our Army Aviation survival vests used to have a gill net that could double as a hammock (for a skinny guy) and a carrier for bulky gear you didn't want to carry in your helmet bag. More modern survival kits don't have them anymore; perhaps because if you have time to use a net, you have time to build a fishing weir instead.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Toilet paper always need plenty of TP...
    Really 100% serious.. Required... Must have.. Deal breaker without.

I have a small roll in my bag and it is inside of a ziplock bag so it stays dry. The only things worse then no TP is wet TP that doesn't stay together when you need it. Also, if space if a major concern, a small travel package of baby wipes or wet wipes can fill the need.

bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    i read through all of this and out of all the food i saw in here i never saw anyone keep rice and beans small bags of these can be kept easily in the bag.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Anyone no of a place here in Indiana (Indy Lafayette Merrivile) where I can look at, maybe buy a ILBE pack? Been seeing some good reviews on them, and am very interested.

Top Bottom