• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If we're talking about "the big one", let's not forget with all our electronics that wonderful feature of nuclear detonations: The electromagnetic pulse.

This is a fast way to turn your laptop, blackberry, cell phone, etc. into a paperweight. If you have data you want to keep, photos, etc., I recommend backing them up to CD (and having an install CD for your operating system, too, in case you're able to restore it at some point), but if we're talking TEOTWAWKI, that's probably the last concern we'll have.

Blessings,
    B

:+1:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    If we're talking about "the big one", let's not forget with all our electronics that wonderful feature of nuclear detonations: The electromagnetic pulse.

This is a fast way to turn your laptop, blackberry, cell phone, etc. into a paperweight. If you have data you want to keep, photos, etc., I recommend backing them up to CD (and having an install CD for your operating system, too, in case you're able to restore it at some point), but if we're talking TEOTWAWKI, that's probably the last concern we'll have.

Blessings,
    B

I replace my PDA's with some regularity (minor damage, upgrades, etc.) and keep the old one's wrapped in foil and in a metal box. This provides pretty good shielding against EMP. The charger is all passive components, also pretty much immune to EMP. And I have paper backups of all my critical reference material.

This gives me the best of both worlds. I have the portability of the PDA if it's still functioning (a library of several hundred books in less than one paperback's size and weight and likely to find at least one functioning with the precautions I take) with paper references in a "hold in place" scenario.

In the case of needing to bug out and a situation so bad that even my "reserve" PDA's are non-functional? Well, then there's the adage of Ben Franklin: "If a man empties his purse into his head he can never be robbed."

The data I have includes various reference books, the first four books in the FoxFire series, various other things.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Bugging out in the car and on foot are to very different things...

If its a temporary bug out like due to some weather condition or something where I know ill be returning home. There's allot of stuff going with me. To me that is like packing for vacation, or a camping trip with the exception of taking some extra things to keep them safe from looting or the potential that my home could be destroyed. So in this scenario I'm definatly taking my laptop. Maybe even my desk top. If I have the time to unhook it..

If its a situation that involves warfare, terrorist attack or other disaster (with no advance warning) be it biological, nuclear or conventional. If this happens and ya gotta run for the hills as it were. Where ya gonna go? Unless you have a piece of property in a remote area with a underground hidden secret shelter of some sort, your pretty much screwed especially if you have young children to be concerned with. You could try running off to a hunting cabin somewhere or off to some other remote location. But you have to take into consideration how many other people would be doing the same. That remote hunting cabin could very easily be like grand central station. And even this is supposing you'll actually be able to travel and get there the chances of that are remote at best. In this every person you meet is a potential hazard. You may very well be better off staying home digging in and trying to make alliances with neighbors and friends. A well organized group of people or militia if you will, standing together may be able to secure a small area like a sub-division, office building or maybe a small farm etc. something, at least for a short time until the dust settles and decisions can be made as to a more secure and defend able location. The best thing would be to have these sort of alliances in place with some plan of action before the OMFG, WTF, SHTF, WTFAIGDN happens...

Now if it were me alone with no family or loved ones to be concerned with. And no alliance or friendly malitia in place. I would take nothing that wasn't absolutely necessary for my survival. Weapons , ammo, food, water and whatever clothing the time of year might warrant. I would move and travel only at night and avoid people at all costs as long as I possibly could...JC

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    Chefcook,

I have to agree with you. In a SHTF scenario I almost think that you may be better off staying put, unless you have as you described the other remote place already setup.

That being said, take a Hurricane IKE or Katrina. If that type of scenario were to hit here, I'm not sure that I would leave? Would you guys leave? Would you send your SO and kids and you stay put? Or would you BUG out with them?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Chefcook,

I have to agree with you. In a SHTF scenario I almost think that you may be better off staying put, unless you have as you described the other remote place already setup.

That being said, take a Hurricane IKE or Katrina. If that type of scenario were to hit here, I'm not sure that I would leave? Would you guys leave? Would you send your SO and kids and you stay put? Or would you BUG out with them?

In 1989 I lived in Miami and my brother and I used to talk about how if a hurricane hit we would stay and ride the storm out bein all macho n s$@t. Shortly after we moved back to Tn. That big ass storm hit I can't remember the name I think it was Andrew, but it whiped out the apartments we lived in. If we had been there we likely would have been killed. So if its that sevier I'm gonna take what I can and split....

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    In 1989 I lived in Miami and my brother and I used to talk about how if a hurricane hit we would stay and ride the storm out bein all macho n s$@t. Shortly after we moved back to Tn. That big ass storm hit I can't remember the name I think it was Andrew, but it whiped out the apartments we lived in. If we had been there we likely would have been killed. So if its that sevier I'm gonna take what I can and split....

I didn't mean it as being macho. I know each situation will be different thus each reaction will be different. I agree in a hurricane Andrew, katrina, Ike I would probably leave.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I didn't mean it as being macho. I know each situation will be different thus each reaction will be different. I agree in a hurricane Andrew, katrina, Ike I would probably leave.

I didn't think you did. However we did lol and our idiot egotistical thinking would have gotten us killed. In this I learned humility. Its better to use intelligence rather than testosterone when SHTF....

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    just what shtf senerio are we talking ??????? EMP heard of this , cell phone???? why bug out if your going to leave a gps trail???? And even if your computer work how long till you throw it shedding weight?? I guess im more of the Red Dawn S>H>T^>F> than the starbucks left town senerio, gun ammo grub gear take what else you need from those that have and dont need anymore [I.E. the bastard you just smoked]:ar15:

Top Bottom