• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    These look suspiciously similar to the Sam's Club 2 for $22 dollar LED lights. Do you have any experience with those?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like the "higher end" Chinese knockoffs for utility use, but I've get to find one (having sampled many from DealExtreme.com) that didn't have problems over time. The electrical connections just aren't consistent enough, so a really nice, useful light almost always seem to be a really nice, useful light . . . that I need to whack on a table to make it work.

There is a place for all of this stuff in my life. I'll continue to use cheap lights for mundane tasks. I'll stick with something better to wear on my person for emergency use.

Lights I avoid:

multiple LEDs
    lights that use three AAA batteries (I've yet to see one that was well made, even at the price point)

I try to stick to lights that use CR123A, AA, or a single AAA.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Lights I avoid:

multiple LEDs
    lights that use three AAA batteries (I've yet to see one that was well made, even at the price point)

That's why I asked if its the same light as the Sam's Club light. The LED output is great (150 Lumen), as good as a 3D standard Maglite, and mine work fine, BUT all the people who wrote negative reviews say the 3 AAA battery carrier breaks very easily if the light is dropped or even during battery changes and is a weak point.

On the same site Karl referenced, there is another light:

F-NF008: CREE Q5 275 Lumen LED Flashlight

Anyone have experience with it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have not tried one. You might want to see if you can find the same light at DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1) because the customers write a lot of reviews of the products (some useful and some not so much).

That's why I asked if its the same light as the Sam's Club light. The LED output is great (150 Lumen), as good as a 3D standard Maglite, and mine work fine, BUT all the people who wrote negative reviews say the 3 AAA battery carrier breaks very easily if the light is dropped or even during battery changes and is a weak point.

On the same site Karl referenced, there is another light:

F-NF008: CREE Q5 275 Lumen LED Flashlight

Anyone have experience with it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just don't remember seeing you on CPF is all, Rhino.. mea culpa :)

Good point ... I know I've posted less than 100 times there. Most of what I've posted has been questioin about finding drop-in LED modules with Cree emitters for Pelican lights.

But the other evidence of flashaholism is there. I'm in my jammies right now and I have a Surefire G2 with a Cree drop-in module in my pocket, a Photon freedom on my neckchain with my crucifix and 4-way medal, and a Streamlight Microstream on a lanyard around my neck. :patriot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That wasn't very nice. This could get very expensive. ;)

We're all co-dedependent enablers, so sometimes nice has to take a backseat to the enabling, right? :D

One of the best deals they have are the little keychain LED lights in quantity. You can get them cheaper than you can buy new batteries and they make excellent gifts, zipper pulls on all of your jackets, etc. They're also brighter than any of the name brands I've tried (like Photon, although the Photon lights are sturdier).

I like the transparent/clear version because you get a lantern-like effect when you use them. It makes finding the keyhole a lot easier on a dark porch, since you can just push the constant "on" switch and let the light dangle while you use the key, but the clear body lets enough light through so you can see.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rhino,

I used to use those little "button LED lights" like that, but a brighter flashlight would have always been more useful when I needed to use one, so I upgraded all of my little button LED lights to small 3xAAA multi-LED ones simply because they put out alot more useable light.

Granted it was a little more expensive than just tossing little cheap button lights here, there & everywhere but I found these Garrity 9LED mini-flashlights at Walmart for only 5 bucks a pop that seem to work much better for my emergency stashed lighting needs (I have them teathered to bug out bags & first aid kits, looped on my key chain, tossed one in my wifes purse, etc).

I know you said you dont like multi-LED 3xAAA lights but these Garrity's are not shabby at all, especially for 5 bucks, let me find a link.

GARRITY KO35G 9-LED Mini Flashlight with Super Bright Beam Am-Pm Superstore

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I can't say enough good things about my Streamlight MicroStream. I carry it EVERYWHERE. I actually lost my first one this winter, so I got another one. The claimed battery life is very understated. I never changed my batteries in the first one, and I KNOW I used it WAY past the advertised 1.5 hours runtime.

My review can be found here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...12462-review_streamlight_microstream_led.html

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

I've had a couple of these Sam's lights for some time. Came in a 2-pack. Cost was $14 ea. or thereabouts. So far I haven't had any problems with them. For cheap LEDs they're fine.

I still have a single LED Ever-ready light that takes 3xAA that I got 10 years ago, use regularly, and have never changed the batteries. It was $9.95 and is plastic, but I'd buy a dozen of them in a heartbeat if I ever saw them again.

Top Bottom