• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Looking to buy a inexpensive AR in the $500-700 range. I have never owned one, so I don't know what's good or bad. I want a complete gun. No interest in building one. What options should I stay away from, and what options should I make sure the gun has. It probably won't be shot much, just for fun occasionally.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I just picked up an Armalite Eagle Arms AR carbine for $625 including rear sight. Seems like a fine shooter so far.

You will get recommendations for Colt and S&W I'm sure...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The Smith M&P Sport II is the best of the super cheap AR's that's ready to go out of the box.

My recommendation is to step up slightly and get the Aero Precision OEM from Brownells for $559:
    5.56MM NATO OEM Mid-Length 16" Rifle : OEM MID-LENGTH 16" RIFLE | Brownells
    It's a hell of a lot better than the M&P Sport II or anything else from the big brands that is under $700. And you aren't wasting time/money with a junk stock and handguard. Just throw on whatever stock and handguard float your boat, and you're off to the races. Best rifle you'll find under $700. They come with Ballistic Advantage Barrels, a mil-spec BCG, mid-length gas system, and they're just really nice for the money spent. You absolutely won't do better elsewhere under $700.

/thread

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I was gonna make a suggestion but I guess the thread has ended. Good luck OP. Enjoy whatever it is you decide on.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    If you want to be cheap, I recommend buying from a reputable manufacturer that will stand behind their product in the event your cheap rifle breaks.

So Smith and Wesson would be a great choice, maybe Ruger.

radir68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2015
    Plainfield
    I have the S&W Sport. Have been real happy with it. Has about 1600 rounds thru it with only one failure and I think that was more cheapo ammo then a fault of the gun. Very accurate. Even friends that own nice AR's are impressed by how good it runs.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Since we live in the same area, there are a few INGOers up here that are willing to help newbies with putting lowers together. I have a Anderson lower I picked up last year for $40. I just bought a PSA Freedom kit for $420. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...-7-stainless-steel-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html

All I need for it is a rear sight. I'll have a complete rifle for less than $500.

A INGOer from South Bend is going to help me assemble the lower. We might be able to work something out if you want to go that direction.

Top Bottom