• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    What is everyones opinion on the browning lever guns? I would like to put a .22 lever gun in my closet, but with the poor quality of the new marlins, i am wondering what i should buy. i got to feel up a browing for just a second today, and it was very nice. The wood was af great quality, and it seemed that the fit and finish was excelent. The only thing that is weird is the short throw lever. Its cool, but i didnt know if there are any reliability issues with it. Any input would be great :patriot:

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Well, I haven't shot either, but I have heard good things about the henry lever actions and my father-n-law loves his marlin 39a (old marlin).

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    yeah my dad has a really nice 39a. The new ones just look terrible. The wood is very blans and cheap. As of right now i am torn between a Henry and a Browning. The browning is alot prettier in my opinion

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The BL-22 is, in my opinion, one of the absolute best 22 rifles, of any action, available.

They're small, light, compact, and carry a decent quantity of ammo - especially in Shorts.

They're great looking guns, too - though I don't personally care for the more embellished ones.

The short 33-degree throw + the trigger group moving with the lever means you don't have to remove your hand from a "firing grip" - just open and close your hand forcefully enough and you've cycled the gun. Try THAT with a Winchester. :D

Downside to the action: Easy to get the web/meat of your hand caught under the metal when you're coming back into battery.

Another downside: Cost. They're quite expensive new, and older ones hold their value quite well.

-J-

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    BL-22 are sold in different grades. Standard and grade II. Then they do some small runs from that point. The 33 degree throw makes it the fastest of the 22 levers by a large amount. They are accurate the old ones had better triggers. If you are looking used then look for ones with "Patient Pending" stamped on the barrels. If looking new I personally would upgrade to the grade II with the checkering and the scrollwork on the reciever.

I love 22 levers and give the bl-22 4 out of 5 stars and I grade hard. The only finer light tree rats rifle might be browning sa-22. Nice to carrry al day.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I bought mine new several years ago and still love it.Don't think it will ever leave my family.In good shape even used ones are expensive.My dad said I was nuts for spending that kind of money on a .22 but now I could triple my money.

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    I think what ive heard in the thread has backed up what i thought from looking at one the other day. I believe here in amonth or two when i get my gun fund built back up i am going to buy me a grade II BL-22. Thanks everyone!

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Well... I have had my BL-22 since 1979 ??? It has been thru hell and back, and is still a great rifle...... I shot it the other day... good, tight groups....... one of my favorite guns of all time !!!!

DRAIN SURGEON

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Mooresvile
    Bought my bl22 In 78 or 79. Have taken lots of squirrels with short hollowpoints .never have had any problems with function. Will be passed down to my nephew someday.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    The BL-22 was my first "real" gun. It's has good points and bad ones, like every other gun ever made.

I'm going to go against the flow and say I'm not find of the short lever throw. It's a nice idea, but the reduced travel just means it does the same work in less mowent so there is less leverage. It's the stiffest opening lever action I've tried. I doubt it's any faster because of it. I'd really rather have a longer but easier throw.

I don't see the trigger traveling with the lever is any plus either. Why would anyone keep their finger inside the guard while working the lever? It just adds more to the trigger action.
    And the trigger isn't that great either. I can't help but wonder how the trigger would be if it was a conventional type.

To the plus side, the thing functions with everything. Load anything from CB caps to Stingers in the tube, push it closed and latched with that nifty tube latch, and it's going to work.

The receiver is really short, so it has a short overall length fir the barrels used.
    A disadvantage of that is if you scope it, the rings have little choice but to be real close together. There are probably some scopes that won't give correct eye relief with the rings mounted normally. I saw one with a single ring used, to get the scope moved forward. That was no doubt a special case. And if you don't use a scope, it's no problem of course.
    I put a peep sight from the old T-bolts on mine.

Accuracy is OK. Not awful but not great either.

I seldom shoot mine anymore. I'll never sell mine because it was my first gun, but I'd pick a Marlin or Win 9422 instead if wanting one to use all the time.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    looks too shiny,but are fun and reliable.i collect 39 marlins and just picked up the octagon barrel henry,which i will shoot a bit and trade,just to try it out

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    BL 22

The BL-22 was my first "real" gun. It's has good points and bad ones, like every other gun ever made.

I'm going to go against the flow and say I'm not find of the short lever throw. It's a nice idea, but the reduced travel just means it does the same work in less mowent so there is less leverage. It's the stiffest opening lever action I've tried. I doubt it's any faster because of it. I'd really rather have a longer but easier throw.

I don't see the trigger traveling with the lever is any plus either. Why would anyone keep their finger inside the guard while working the lever? It just adds more to the trigger action.
    And the trigger isn't that great either. I can't help but wonder how the trigger would be if it was a conventional type.
    Have to agree with everything you said. Very pretty rifles.
    To the plus side, the thing functions with everything. Load anything from CB caps to Stingers in the tube, push it closed and latched with that nifty tube latch, and it's going to work.

The receiver is really short, so it has a short overall length fir the barrels used.
    A disadvantage of that is if you scope it, the rings have little choice but to be real close together. There are probably some scopes that won't give correct eye relief with the rings mounted normally. I saw one with a single ring used, to get the scope moved forward. That was no doubt a special case. And if you don't use a scope, it's no problem of course.
    I put a peep sight from the old T-bolts on mine.

Accuracy is OK. Not awful but not great either.

I seldom shoot mine anymore. I'll never sell mine because it was my first gun, but I'd pick a Marlin or Win 9422 instead if wanting one to use all the time.
    Have to agree with everything you say. Very pretty rifles though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I doubt it's any faster because of it.

Yes, it is faster. Especially since you can (if your hand is strong enough) keep your thumb in place on the rifle and just snick your fingers in and out.

For accuracy work - no big deal. But if you just want to plink away rapidly, you can certainly do that in a BL-22 if you wanted.

Yes, it's stiff. But it CAN be done - I've done it. My dad's done it with his (first gun I ever fired). Less leverage in the issue of a problem - for sure. Also a slightly more complex action due to it's compactness.

But if speed really is what you're after in a lever-action .22 rifle - the BL-22 is what you want.

Top Bottom