• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Break out the ear plugs. After 17 years underground where they've been since 2004, feeding on sap from the roots of plants, Brood X, one of the largest broods of cicadas, will be emerging soon. The eggs will hatch 4-6 weeks later and the "big brood" will spend 2-4 weeks in late May and early June courting, mating, flying, and driving people crazy because cicadas can emit sounds between 80 and 100 decibels, equivalent to a low-flying airplane or a lawn mower. Their offspring will head back underground until 2038.

Maps around seem to vary. I've only lived on my property for 2 years now, so I'll see what hand I've been dealt.

I still have yet do do one of those cicada recipes, and I'm still not curious enough to start.

What is Brood X, the U.S. cicada infestation coming in 2021?

Screenshot_20210224-052743_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-053327_Chrome.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have the same problem. After enough time you don't notice it much. Until you think about it...Thanks alot...Just kidding :wavey:
    I try to look at the bright side. It's always a summer evening in my head. Cicadas and tree frogs, with occasional crickets. When I'm camping, I have to plug my ears to determine if what I'm hearing is real or imaginary. :):

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was going to start a thread on this but found this one. Here’s a good article about Brood X:

Best fishing ever in my parents farm pond happens when the cicadas emerge. The fish literally fight over them, making for spectacular topwater fishing.

Grandpa Gary may be gone but my 5-y.o, twins will catch their first fish in his pond. And I’m sure he will be smiling from above when they do.

. 1615000529552.png

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This will be the last year I own my pond (hopefully). Since I will be working on the updates during the release I plan to do a little fishing myself. Been years since I actually fished there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My oldest (the hippie chick) is all agog at their arrival. She's been posting daily updates on her Farcebook page about all of the little mounds of dirt appearing in her yard announcing their pending arrival. There are so many trees out where she lives you won't even be able to carry on a conversation in the backyard while "they" are here.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Any sightings yet?

I was too young the first time they came (2yrs old), missed the peak last time since I was in school and didn't have a car... now I want the full experience.

I hear Bloomington campus gets overrun...

Also, there's an app for that... "Cicada Safari" in Google Play store.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Last time going north on 465 between 56th St. & 69 N exit on the east side they could be heard over the radio with windows up and a/c on high. Some days they were noticeably louder than others. They could be heard above the obnoxiously loud Harley I rode too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I noticed some little "bumps" in the mulch in one of my flowerbeds the other day when I was mowing. I was wondering if that was from the cicadas getting ready to emerge. They were all uniform in size - about 1" high.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    An entomologist said once the soil hits a solid 64° at 8" deep, that's when there will be the major emerging.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom