• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    I am in Indy. Anyone here using broadcast/over the air with digital convertor box for TV? If so, are you having problems getting a useful signal?

My elderly mom does not want cable, DirectTV, etc., is happy with over the air. But suddenly, can not get a useful signal for any channel (just "snow", no picture or sound) on two separate set ups. Been going on for 2 days. I am baffled, she is upset. Wondering if anyone else is having similar problems.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I don't use a converter, just an antenna on my HD TV w digital tuner built in. No problems for me.

i know about upset moms when the tv goes out. I get a panicked call when moms universal remote goes out of whack and the volume won't change :laugh:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Dont know what converter your mom has but she may need to scan for channels. I have an older tv with rabbit ears and a inline booster and get most channels. I would like to find a cheap upgrade to be able to pull in more channels though if anyone has any thoughts. Live in an apartment so no attic or outdoors antenna would work. I refuse to pay for cable.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I've been using an antenna with digital convertor box for several years now. I built my own antenna with help of a youtube video, and it works better than the cheapo rabbit ear antennas. The more expensive ones might work better though.

Anyway, my signal hasn't changed. Sounds like there's an issue specific to her equipment.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am in Indy. Anyone here using broadcast/over the air with digital convertor box for TV? If so, are you having problems getting a useful signal?

My elderly mom does not want cable, DirectTV, etc., is happy with over the air. But suddenly, can not get a useful signal for any channel (just "snow", no picture or sound) on two separate set ups. Been going on for 2 days. I am baffled, she is upset. Wondering if anyone else is having similar problems.
    I use a converter box and antenna and its working fine.

If she had signal and now doesn't, it is an issue with her equipment or antenna placement. It's not like all the stations just stopped broadcasting. Try moving the antenna and scanning for channels. We had to move the antenna once just because a neighbor cut down a tree.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After investing in a GOOD rooftop antenna, ours works like a dream.

This website will take your address and tell you what kind of antenna and extra equipment you'll need. For us it was simply a rooftop omni. No extra amps, etc.

AntennaWeb - Home

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the responses. Was wondering if there was something new with the broadcast signals I did not know about. Difficult to believe 2 separate antenna/convertors went bad at the same time. The post about having to reposition antenna because of neighbors actions was interesting. Looks like I have some fun diagnosis to do.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I bought a flat one years ago and signal would always go up and down, moving it around did not help much. I have been in MANY homes were they had the same issue..... And I mean MANY. Before digital I had no issues.... They reported the same also.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sorry if it's obvious... she didn't change the channel on the TV, did she?

I may not think the same thing you think when you say "snow" but I've never seen this with digital. If you're getting traditional analog snow, then I'd look at the channel on the tv or the connections.
    If it's the digital type pixel type snow, then I don't know. The sun has had a couple of coronal mass ejections since the 20th of August, but I don't know if they were directed towards earth.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I get 6 and 8, but not 13 and PBS on a new Visio, but the other TV gets them in just fine (20 year old no-name).

I had to stick the antenna behind the TV to get a handful of channels, but found that the slightest bit of movement causes channels to go out, and since you have to scan each time to see if you get new channels, it gets to be a waste of time. Time to get an external antenna....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good point on the "snow" sounds like a problem between the analog TV and the converter box. you cant have snow with a digital connection. Its impossible. Instead you will get blank screen, or pixelation periodically if the signal from the tower is borderline.

I'd double check the antenna connection to the converter box (if she doesnt have one, thats the problem LOL) as well as making sure the channel on the TV matches what the switch on the converter is set to.

Also, to test, plug in her VCR into the TV and use the same channel that you are using the converter for to see if you can get that to work. Its possible the tuner on the TV is fried or you have a bad cable between the converter box and the TV. The good news is that LCD (LED are better) TVs are CHEAP these days.

Just remember one thing... widescreen TVs are "smaller" in comparison to traditional 4:3 TVs. So if she has a 23" Tube TV, a 23" LCD will look smaller as the vertical measurement is different. This tool will help select a TV that doesnt look smaller than what she has now: Visual TV Size Comparison : Display Wars

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    i know about upset moms when the tv goes out. I get a panicked call when moms universal remote goes out of whack and the volume won't change :laugh:

this thread makes me think of Apollo 13 when shes yellng at the nursing home staffer to put Jimmy on - when nasa decided not to broadcast pre explosion.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Antenna type and location is the key. I got upset with Crapcast, returned their junk, and installed convertor boxes on 3 TV's. I also installed a RCA outdoor antenna, and ran a coax to my house connector box. After setting the antenna in the correct direction(using guide from internet site), am receiving signals in the 80-95 % range. Antenna cost around $50.00(looks like an arrow, approx. 3ft high, w/ a mounting bracket) and 25 ft of coax around $15.00. Lightning storm killed one box, and we finally replaced 2 TV's with flat screened versions after tax returns. Re scanning does occur, had to do that often. Used another box to replace one at my work, and installed a flat multi position RCA indoor antenna.(around $20.00 from WalMart). We position it in the top pane of a window and signals vary from 70-90 %. Chicago is closest city for signals, and Yes, weather does affect signals. Clouds, storms, rain/snow, mess it up. Good Luck.

Note: I see Sat dishes mounted on balconies/ apts, and yards w/ posts, mostly roofs. They have a "bow tie shape " antenna which is usefull in an attic if you can't do a roof install. you need to get your coax to the tv, though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom