• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    My experience is with rifles mostly. I have been tought to fire the gun ones and then clean it. Then repeat 5 to 10 times to ensure jacket particals and other residue do not get embeded into the rifles. Is this a common practice with hand guns as well. I just bought a Rock Island Tactical 1911 45. I want to make sure that I break the gun in properly. Any pointers

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Just shoot the hell out of it :D

Seriously though, it's not a precision gun, I wouldn't break it in any special way besides shooting it :thumbsup:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Generally speaking a semi-auto isn't considered "broken-in" until around 200 rounds have been cycled through it. As far as that crazy cleaning regiment...... wow...... somebody has a bad case of O.C.D.!!!!! :n00b: Just shoot it and clean it after a day of shooting!!! :rockwoot: :yesway: :patriot:
    :cheers:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I only use FMJ rounds for the first few hundred rounds.. clean it and then shoot the hell out of it with whatever.

You got the right idea when it comes to breaking in a rifle... that's the way I was taught to break in any rifle, per USMC SOP.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    You should shoot 20 rounds, send the gun and a box of 100 WWB to me, I'll clean it and send it back. Repeat this about 10 times the first month and I will be good to go, I mean the gun will be good to go.

Shoot it until you can hit what you aim for 100% of the time and the gun is broke in. If it is a carry gun, shoot until you can double tap and keep them all where you are aiming.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'm not sure you need to be so OCD on cleaning a 1911. Some of the custom 1911's , with super tight tolerances, are supposed to be fired 500 times before the first cleaning... If that tells you anything.

Silverlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Anderson
    I have a Zastava EZ9 that had a tight slide and hard cycle, so i'd agree with the rest, shooting the hell out of this gun broke it in just nicely.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    All new guns need shot to work themselves in. It will probably not change the accuracy of a pistol to too much of any degree. Just shoot it, it will smooth itself out.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    The accuracy of your gun and the reliability of your gun will change a lot if you are shooting a semi-auto.

You need to put the rounds through it so that everything will seat and wear in. Until that time things will change just a little while andy micro burring will be worn off while the slide operates. Everything will wear in and remain fairly constant after around 300 to 500 rounds.

Don't be discouraged over your groups until after that breaking in period is over.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom