• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    This is way out of hand. The past 2 1/2 days, I drove from Indy to where I'm staying for a few days, in Phoenix. I took the normal route for coming out here(70 to St. Louis, down to Tulsa/OKC, then 40 west through Amarillo, Albuquerue, and Flagstaff, then 17 down here to Phoenix.

When I was coming into Tulsa, I got the bright idea, "why not look for ammo in the cities that I'm traveling through. I called every gunshop/sporting goods store in Tulsa. No one had .380(the only thing I'm looking for atm). I go through OKC...I left a message for the one place that didn't answer, and about an hour later, I get a call back from them and they had a lot of .380, but would have to limit me to 2 boxes. I will stop by there on my way back next week to see if they still have any. On to Amarillo and Albuquerue....No one had ANY in either one of those cities. I evened opened up my search to include Walmarts. Albuquerque is a decent sized city...I called the few places my gps brough up when coming into Flagstaff, and managed to find one place that said he has .380 on its way from california, and should have it by friday or monday, but didn't have any in stock right now. I come into Phoenix and called a few places...I've only called 3-4 places, and found one place that has .380, but wants $30/50rd of PMC. I haven't checked to see what going rate is on that stuff to see if it's avg price or above. I go to Long Beach on Sunday, so I will also check in the towns on the way there as well as the LB area. I didn't have this much trouble find .223 in November...and this is just handgun ammo...

No one can get .380, at all.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No one can get .380, at all.

I've got 3 boxes listed in the classifieds with possibly 2 more boxes I might add for the right deal. I've seen several people looking for 380 but haven't gotten many hits on my ad. I know it's still early though.:dunno:

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've got 3 boxes listed in the classifieds with possibly 2 more boxes I might add for the right deal. I've seen several people looking for 380 but haven't gotten many hits on my ad. I know it's still early though.:dunno:

I don't mean no person... I mean no shop, they can't order the stuff, suppliers just don't have it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    THREADJACK! :D Dicks here in Avon had a mess of .380 ball, but no defensive stuff.

Ryan is again right: .380 was produced at lower levels (thus the reason it was slightly higher in price than 9x19 before the bubble) than other calibers as demand was lower. But, with a combination of Dem's effect and manufacturers producing more and more .380s (which gained more and more popularity), the manufacturers are completely caught off guard.

If anything, be happy that there is a limited amount. Really, think about it. If company X buys more space, machines and people to begin increasing supply, what happens when demand *finally* diminishes, which is should in a year or two? Then company X has some financial issues as they now have to shut off machines/reduce production and lay off people to maintain product value.

Also, keep this in mind: I would rather a company raise their price (due to demand) slightly and produce at normal capacity than go overtime and risk product quality issues. Some Y2K ammo is no good (some batches of Winchester Q3131 and Adcom with 99 headstamp, etc...) as the increased production outstripped their respective quality controls. No good to the shooter when you finally get your ammo, but there is no fulminate in the primer. No good to the shooter when you squib a load in your chamber due to no powder or horribly inaccuracy due to powder/bullet variations. I seriously am frightened of what would happen if I pull the trigger on Dem effect ammo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    THREADJACK! :D Dicks here in Avon had a mess of .380 ball, but no defensive stuff.

Ryan is again right: .380 was produced at lower levels (thus the reason it was slightly higher in price than 9x19 before the bubble) than other calibers as demand was lower. But, with a combination of Dem's effect and manufacturers producing more and more .380s (which gained more and more popularity), the manufacturers are completely caught off guard.

If anything, be happy that there is a limited amount. Really, think about it. If company X buys more space, machines and people to begin increasing supply, what happens when demand *finally* diminishes, which is should in a year or two? Then company X has some financial issues as they now have to shut off machines/reduce production and lay off people to maintain product value.

Also, keep this in mind: I would rather a company raise their price (due to demand) slightly and produce at normal capacity than go overtime and risk product quality issues. Some Y2K ammo is no good (some batches of Winchester Q3131 and Adcom with 99 headstamp, etc...) as the increased production outstripped their respective quality controls. No good to the shooter when you finally get your ammo, but there is no fulminate in the primer. No good to the shooter when you squib a load in your chamber due to no powder or horribly inaccuracy due to powder/bullet variations. I seriously am frightened of what would happen if I pull the trigger on Dem effect ammo.
    Regarding companies having to shut machines down as demand increases; I humbly say, it's their risk to take and that's the definition of a FREE MARKET SOCIETY..

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was @ work (Bradis) today, and contrary to what was stated by the OP, the 2-box per customer limit is on centerfire handgun calibers only. It is due simply to a lack of supply. The stockroom was pretty much depleted of all cased ammo in 9/40/45/38/357; the few cases that remained had been broken out for sale by the box, just so we had something to put on the shelf. This initiative came directly from the owners.

There were still plenty of bricks of .22LR, bulk quantities of rifle and shotgun ammo and a few 100 or 200rd value packs of certain pistol calibers (primarily .44 Mag) to be had. We even had a small quantity of .380 personal protection ammo (Cor-Bon Pow-r-Ball) in stock.

FWIW.

Last edited:

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And here I was getting worried. But, good ol' Walmart is still selling 9mm for $8.97/50. The gun stores ought to be raising h**l with their distributors because they're getting screwed on supply and price.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Very well may be. But you know what happens when everybody but one major player raises their prices? The one who doesn't go up gains tremendous market share. WM is used to thriving on very low margins. They are thrilled with the way ammo is moving out of their stores. And I'll bet that even with their low prices, they are making store-leading margins on ammo. Well done, Wal-Mart! Keep it up!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    But wait, I thought wallyworld was the cause of the ruinization of our economy? I'm getting tired of shopping at walmart but it isn't due to their business model. I'm just getting tired of not having a better selection of quality products.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just wait until they bring in the Chinese ammo. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Perhaps they are threatening their US suppliers with this scenario right now. I would be if I were their purchasing manager.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    But wait, I thought wallyworld was the cause of the ruinization of our economy? I'm getting tired of shopping at walmart but it isn't due to their business model. I'm just getting tired of not having a better selection of quality products.

I'm tired of shopping Wal-mart because of crappy customer service, and the LOOOOONG waits at the checkout lines. This is why I always liked Target better. But Target doesn't have ammo :(

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I don't see a problem with it. They want all their customers to have a chance to get ammo. Too many are buying up all they can get and then trying to resale it at outrages prices.
    That is no lie. Also, I don't know how many of you like to purchase your ammo at Gander Mountain, but less than a week ago they had Remington 9mm JSP's a box of 50 for 59.99. I asked the guy working behind the counter if that was the price for a case or a box and he just nodded when I said box. What is the problem? Does this seem right? Don't you think that the NRA should take a little blame in all of this? And the ammo manfactures? And the big box stores?

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes, but I was at three Meijers yesterday and one had only 44 mag, another had 44mag and .357 and the last had 44mag and only one box of .357.

Two wal-marts one had nothing and one had 44mag and one box of .45.

Gotta love it.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Yes, but I was at three Meijers yesterday and one had only 44 mag, another had 44mag and .357 and the last had 44mag and only one box of .357.

Two wal-marts one had nothing and one had 44mag and one box of .45.

Gotta love it.

Pre-Obama ammo buying scare... Meijer rarely had anything anyway.

Top Bottom