Bow hunters might want to check this website out.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Weight at the back of an arrow stiffens spine....how will that affect tune?
    How much resistance is required for usable weight shift?
    The time from weight shift start to stop is how long?
    How does that compare to total arrow travel time through an animal on non shoulderblade hit (I almost always pass through- even with recurve)?

It appears that such an item may be of benefit when encountering bone (major resistance), which is pretty much a bad idea with archery gear anyway.

Maybe a help on a problem that shouldn't (maybe doesn't) exist.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    One more moving part. The weight could be forward at the shot or not fully to the rear...all kinds of changes to the bending of the arrow which effect tune...

Cool idea, but I'm a minimalist. I keep my rig as simple as possible - simple, rugged, reliable. Murphy's a bit#h in the field.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I'm not sure the physics make sense. KE is a function of mass and velocity, and if those two things remain constant, so does KE. A little slider won't add KE; you have to either fix mass or velocity and increase the other, or increase both.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm not sure the physics make sense. KE is a function of mass and velocity, and if those two things remain constant, so does KE. A little slider won't add KE; you have to either fix mass or velocity and increase the other, or increase both.

Total KE - no - but this is adding an impulse like a shock machine or jack hammer. To total KE is the same, but the shape of the curve is different if you break it into two impulses: arrow hits bone, then basically hits it again. A concentrated or spiked impulse curve is much more damaging then a smoothed out (dampened) curve - like shock absorbers or rubber stops.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO you're already screwed when the sliding weight comes into action.

I seriously doubt the little weight can drive an almost stopped arrow deep enough past the limiting medium.

KE KE KE..................there's more to it than that.

KE is simple math that helps with comparing/selling products. I typically run low KE setups, and blow through deer LOL.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    X amount of energy = Y amount of penetration as long as the medium remains the same. I'm pretty sure little sliders or other such gadgets won't change that. Actually some small amount of KE would be wasted as it would be converted to thermal energy through friction as the slider moves forward. I'm sure that's peanuts though.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    All those things do is try to privde a little energy impulse at the end.
    personally I don't have a need for them. Right now, I know for a fact that my bow will send an arrow through about anything... Including my father in laws shed...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    All those things do is try to privde a little energy impulse at the end.
    personally I don't have a need for them. Right now, I know for a fact that my bow will send an arrow through about anything... Including my father in laws shed...

Impulse at the "end"............when you blow through the "end" is in the dirt ;)

It's a sales gimmick.

New wave of bowhunters are psuedotechnical..............this preys upon them.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    It doesn't "add" an impulse; that's a sales gimmick to make it sound as though the gadget creates energy. It simply steals energy from the time of initial impact and delays it a bit. Not going to help penetration.

ADDICTED2TONE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Floyds Knobs
    I'd have to shoot one with it and see what it did.. With todays small diameter arrows and as fast as bows are I can blow a rage thru a deer at 50 yards like a hot knife thru butter. This is interesting though..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Since the broadhead cuts a hole, tissue is elastic, and the fluids might offer some amount of lubrication..............please explain how a smaller diameter arrow helps in penetration based on its size? I doubt tissue "snap back" is so fast as to drag on the shaft.

Possibly stronger materials, less chance of crush at insert or deflection (= increased friction by side load).............smaller carbons might be of benefit. It aint because they're skinny alone.

Kills me how some advertisers of products use junk science.
    I dunno. I blew through deer with aluminum and blow through with carbon.

But then I tune my gear for proper arrow flight....and run hunting weight arrows ;)

I got into this with some statistics engineering guru some time back..........who informed me that when he pulled 2 different arrows, out of 2 different deer...........with 2 different broadheads.................that the smaller dia. arrow came out easier.

Made me just want to slap the sheite out of him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom