• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I have killed some deer over the years, but I never doubled on deer with a bow before Saturday morning. Two does and a little spike came in, smelled a coyote (that I also arrowed) and ran off in different directions. They eventually came back to re-group one by one. First cam the buck-he got a pass despite walking right through my kill zone pinch point. Next was a light brown doe. She stopped in the kill zone and I got a good double lung shot on her. She made it 30 yards. Within 3-4 minutes I heard a rendezvous bleat and responded. A gray-brown doe came in and stood in the kill zone-double lung, 40 yards and down.

Both does broke the arrows. The gray one was probably mama, the other her daughter from spring '09 who was dry. The buck was mama's kid from this spring.
    IMG_0457.jpg

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Congratulations! I can sympathize with the broken arrows -- seven of the last eight deer that I've arrowed (3 does this year) have broken my arrows.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I am usually pretty calm at the time of the shot, focused on doing it right, etc. but immediately after the shot I get a tad wobbly of knee and need to sit for minute. I love that feeling when you know you had a good hit. On the flip side, if it is marginal, that adrenaline dump can make me want to throw up. Either way, it's pretty intense.

Remind me to tell you about the time I tripled with a muzzleloader in less than 8 minutes. Whew!

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Dang nice shooting! I could have doubled last year durring muzzleloader, has a Lg doe, Sm doe and button buck walk thru mid day. Button buck grunted every few seconds all the way through the woods. Took the Lg doe up front. Other 2 ran off. She went 15 yards. I reloaded both walked right back to her but i didn't have another tag except for my bow tag so they walked. Hope i see one this Sat need some meat!

But to do that with a bow is awesome! Congrats!

Nathan

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I have the comprehensive lifetime hunting license and a stack of 3x5 cards, so the tag thing is not a problem for me. ;) Thanks for the kind words.

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    Congrats on the double,done it with gun last year for the first time.I wouldve probably still been shaking to much for a second shot LOL.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Nice shooting tex. You should be set in the meat dept. for a while. Especially after that tasty coyote. :):

I actually did laugh out loud on your purple coyote-eating comment, Jeffrey. I am not a big dog eater. A buddy and I once started at a 165# (+/-) chunk of canid flesh and could not bring ourselves to eat that stringy pink meat despite being a week and a half in the bush. If I didn't do it then and there, I knew I probably never would. We are a deer eating bunch around here. It's our red meat for the whole year, so I am not quite done trying to fill the freezer yet. We have eaten as many as 8 one year, and the kids are not getting smaller nor eating less. ;)

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    My buddies kid did a double doe this first time bow hunting this year. I have never been so lucky, had the opportunity to do it on a doe and a fawn...what's the point in that though? Nice work. :)

Top Bottom