• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's getting harder to get a good deal on anything these days. I found a good deal on the internet, but it's in CA.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've got access to six 55 gallon drums of used tire weights.These are the old ones...no alloy.I could maybe help someone out?
    What would you want for say, half a drum of them.
    I will ad that the 850 lbs I bought last summer from my local scrap yard were 8 cents a lb.

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Downtown parking garage......how many wheel weights can you strip off in an hour? :coffee:
    Chances are being aluminum wheels, the stick on weights are zinc alloy or aluminum alloy. Don't think your guna find actual lead weights even on steel wheel trucks.

Reactions: Leo

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Did I forget the purple?
    Don't believe so. There is still alot of people out there that don't know about wheel weights. I seen someone on Facebook a few weeks ago trying to sell newer looking weights as old 1s. You could clearly see they were zinc or another alloy..they looked painted silver/grey color unlike actual lead weights. Back when Obama n company decided to do away with lead, people kidded around about parking lots and junkyards for "finding" lead.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    My local tire stores want $50 and more for a 3/4 filled 5 gallon bucket of mixed wheel weights. The last bucket I bought averaged $1.50 per lb of alloyed lead.
    My local scrapyard get 10 to 20 cents per lb for any type of lead. My last visit there was a good size roll of lead pipe. I left it for anyone else.
    Another scrapyard wants $1 for lead and $1.25 for wheel weights.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Regular lead is what I'm looking for, but if going to have to drive far I want at least 1000#.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I hate shipping lead. It's heavy and a flat rate box doesn't hold up very well. Cost of shipping drives the price up too.
    We ask for a mule down here. That's someone traveling from your area to buyer's area that won't charge to carry it along. Not many mules in the northern part of the state traveling south.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My local tire stores want $50 and more for a 3/4 filled 5 gallon bucket of mixed wheel weights. The last bucket I bought averaged $1.50 per lb of alloyed lead.
    My local scrapyard get 10 to 20 cents per lb for any type of lead. My last visit there was a good size roll of lead pipe. I left it for anyone else.
    Another scrapyard wants $1 for lead and $1.25 for wheel weights.
    Our local scrap yards refuse to sell anything back to the public.
    They will buy from you, but will not sell to you.

Top Bottom