• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My moms car is 7 years old and she has not driven it in over 2 years. I just did a bunch of repairs to it and am going to title it in my name and drive it until it drops. How do you handle this with the BMV, do they tax me even if I am being gifted the car? Do they need the car there to verify the vin? Can my mom just sign over the title or do I need something else written up? does she need to come there with me?

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Title and registration are complete different subjects. Title is proof of ownership, registration gives the privilege of operating it on public roadways.

Does she have the said vehicle's title on hand, meaning she owns it free and clear, not on a lien, or lease. If she does, you can transfer the title to you no problem.

Since it has not been registered, or being in the process of registered by a dealer, you need to do a VIN check, by calling any local or state LE agency, normally there is no cost for individuals. Print out a copy of IN state form 39530: https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=14984

Reactions: Mij

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IANATA but I believe she can gift it to you. No taxes due.

But they may try to get you for back taxes on the years she didnt register it. I know they do for boats.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    She can just sign the title over to you. You will also need to type up a bill of sale with selling price, year, make, model and vin. You will both need to sign and date it. As far as price, you have to at least put $1.00 down.

To get plates in your name you will need your insurance information.

I am a dealer. I have literally done hundreds of titles.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    She can just sign the title over to you. You will also need to type up a bill of sale with selling price, year, make, model and vin. You will both need to sign and date it. As far as price, you have to at least put $1.00 down.

To get plates in your name you will need your insurance information.

I am a dealer. I have literally done hundreds of titles.
    I just went through the private sale process this week. I was told that bills of sale are not necessary for in-state private sales. BMV doesn't even want to see them. Filled out boxes on the back of the title are enough.

OP yes you can gift a car and sell for $1, or $100, or whatever.

Do be aware that you cannot mark out and fix any mistakes when filling out the title. They will turn you away and tell you to make the seller sign a revision form. Ask me how I know. But for in-state a signed title, driver's license, and proof of insurance on the new car is sufficient.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I just went through the private sale process this week. I was told that bills of sale are not necessary for in-state private sales. BMV doesn't even want to see them. Filled out boxes on the back of the title are enough.
    I had just bought a RV private sale, they asked for my bill of sale.

One thing I have learned from dealing with the BMV weekly for the last 15 years, every employee seems to want/need different things.

I have found it is best to be over prepared when going to the BMV then having to make another trip back.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I had just bought a RV private sale, they asked for my bill of sale.

One thing I have learned from dealing with the BMV weekly for the last 15 years, every employee seems to want/need different things.

I have found it is best to be over prepared when going to the BMV then having to make another trip back.
    Weird. Financed, or cash outright? Wonder what the criteria is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have insider info. They use one of two criteria to decide:

iu

iu

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks guys, this is in state clear title. From the perspective of someone who grew up having to do this stuff in Illinois the Indiana BMV is one of the best parts of Indiana. I only wish they had not closed down the Crown Point office.

Reactions: Mij

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It was a cash deal we bought outright. To be honest, there isnt a difference.

It really depends on the employee. I go enough to know which ones may let me slide and which ones are by the book.

A couple months ago I had one employee making me jump through hoops trying to replace a title lost by my bank. I took in all this paperwork she requested. When I brought it in, the next girl set all of it aside like it was nothing, which it was.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys, this is in state clear title. From the perspective of someone who grew up having to do this stuff in Illinois the Indiana BMV is one of the best parts of Indiana. I only wish they had not closed down the Crown Point office.
    And from wherever Glenn Beck is from, I guess they had a doozy of a system out there. I cant find the audio, but many years ago he told a nightmare story about his tripS to get something done. He'd show up and they'd tell him (after he had to wait 45 minutes) that he didnt have everything he needed. So they sent him away to come back with x y and z. He returned as instructed and was told that no, he needed w, y, and z, and x wasnt necessary. After another 45 minute wait of course.

I forget how many trips he made, but as I recall my part of the story is half or less. At least here, They usually have somebody greeting you when you get there to make sure you have what you need before taking a number and waiting. Ive seen numerous people turned away within minutes of arrival. So they do something right.

But dont get me started on the great scam that is the time stamp that proved how efficient they are. But the clock doesnt start running when you walk in the door; it finally starts AFTER your wait when you sit down to actually do your business. And that wasnt the problem. The problem was the long waits. So rather than measure the ACTUAL problem, they ignored the problem and through slight of hand made themselves look great without having to change anything. (they did get better, coincidentally)

djay7677

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2022
    Mishawaka IN
    Yup, in state title transfer is easy. You don't need anything except a signed title and a DL. Insurance if you're registering it.

Top Bottom