• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    Reports this morning state a male broke into the office of blythe's sport shop in Griffith around 3am and stole some rolls of quarters and approx $2,000 in cash. No guns were reported missing. The criminal took off in an assumed stolen Dodge Charger which police began pursuit out of Griffith, onto 80/94 and into Highland on Kennedy ave where they spike stripped the car and it crashed into a parked car. Suspect was apprehended with a bag of weed on him.

The crime and violence in NWI is growing and will continue to do so. Once Illinois passes the SAFE-T act it could get worse. AS not to say this is the only place in the country with these problems but from being here 30+ years, I'm ready to go further south/east into Indiana and much further away from the border/coc.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As many problems as there is in the Region, you will have to move further than Lafayette. I watched Gary fall in real time, now I am seeing the same stuff in Lafayette.

More and more government subsidized housing, more and more security measures in stores. more violent and deadly crime reports. More drugs, more violence in the schools. More people coming up to the car window while you are in the parking lot to demand "a few dollars for food". (of course they would not want the sandwich in your lunch bucket)

A few weeks ago I pulled into a business lot and within a few seconds 4 police cars, lights and sirens pulled in. Weapons drawn, two officers went behind the building. I sat in the car with my hands on the wheel. No report was posted in the local newspaper or the local TV station. Dispatcher friend says lots of calls are not being covered by the news.

I was in the habit of dropping my car off to the service center the night before. Today I am advised not to do that because the catalytic converter thieves.

These days are getting perilous, no matter where you are, just as it is written.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Bought my first handgun there while working out of town for 6 weeks. They let me have the sale price on the following Monday for a sale that ended on the Friday before. I had to find a place to cash my per diem check.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    As many problems as there is in the Region, you will have to move further than Lafayette. I watched Gary fall in real time, now I am seeing the same stuff in Lafayette.

More and more government subsidized housing, more and more security measures in stores. more violent and deadly crime reports. More drugs, more violence in the schools. More people coming up to the car window while you are in the parking lot to demand "a few dollars for food". (of course they would not want the sandwich in your lunch bucket)

A few weeks ago I pulled into a business lot and within a few seconds 4 police cars, lights and sirens pulled in. Weapons drawn, two officers went behind the building. I sat in the car with my hands on the wheel. No report was posted in the local newspaper or the local TV station. Dispatcher friend says lots of calls are not being covered by the news.

I was in the habit of dropping my car off to the service center the night before. Today I am advised not to do that because the catalytic converter thieves.

These days are getting perilous, no matter where you are, just as it is written.
    Agreed. It doesn't matter where you go, you can't completely escape crime. As for the news reports, it's really on what fits the narrative they are pushing. Theres been an increasing number of "burglaries", robberies, flash mob thefts, carjackings, and so on. It's select pieces that make it to the rotation for the shock value. A big factor is nobody cares unless it happens to them. They just stand there an watch.. Or record it on their phones to put in their facebook feed.

I was around when the apartment complex that used to be on the border of Hammond and Highland was around and they cities had to bring in off duty atf and dea to help clean it up. Then the rumor was Trump(or one of his companies) bought the complex and demolished it for the land value. Now there's a hotel and a bufflo wings in it's place.

The levels of over sensitivity these days is astounding. The slightest whiff of an insult gets people in an uproar. I feel that plays a factor in the waves of crime we are in. The criminals play into that knowing they can play the "victim of society" role and get charges reduced and sometimes dropped. And that no one wants to get involved.

And you are right, you can't do things these days like we used to. Some conveniences are gone and makes things tougher to get done.

I plan to move in a year or maybe sooner. Maybe Cedar Lake or somewhere around there for now and about 7 or 8 years from there out to Arizona or New Mexico, That just to get away from the winters. I worked a decade outside building and programming cell towers in the winter, in the middle of the night, and had my fill of the cold so onto warmer weather for me. Depending on whats happening in the country at that time I may move to another country with a terrific exchange rate.

Reactions: Leo
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I am 30 and have lived here all of my life. There is no where else I will call home. There are a lot of good things here to; lots of restaurants, opportunities for employment, and schools.

Chicago, Indy, and Milwaukee are all within two hours. Lots of things to do on the weekends to

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I am 30 and have lived here all of my life. There is no where else I will call home. There are a lot of good things here to; lots of restaurants, opportunities for employment, and schools.

Chicago, Indy, and Milwaukee are all within two hours. Lots of things to do on the weekends to
    You can make it to Indy in two hours?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It's only around 130-140 miles

The tricky one is Milwaukee. That would depend heavily on Chicago traffic
    Yeah if you didn't have traffic, stop signs/lights, etc before you got on the highway. It's about 85 miles for me and it takes me an hr and a half give or take. When I lived up there it was a good 2 1/2-3 hrs. Usually closer to 3.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah if you didn't have traffic, stop signs/lights, etc before you got on the highway. It's about 85 miles for me and it takes me an hr and a half give or take. When I lived up there it was a good 2 1/2-3 hrs. Usually closer to 3.
    He lives pretty close to me. It is less than 10 miles of country road to I65, and a straight shot from there.

I can make it easily in under 2.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    He lives pretty close to me. It is less than 10 miles of country road to I65, and a straight shot from there.

I can make it easily in under 2.
    Yeah, I could see that. It takes me a 1/2 hr to get to 65. And probably about that long when I lived up there.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Most small towns are good to go like Tipton by me. No lakes nearby if that is what you are looking for.
    I've been to Silver Lake and it's a nice small town. I met a guy that was one of the local officers and he seemed nice. He used to be on here and made leather holsters and was thinking about venturing into kydex.
    Huntington is nice and not too many Ft. Wayne thugs go there because they get bored and don't fish. Lakes and rivers close to it with decent hunting - just ask the landowner first. I have had good responses from just introducing myself and asking permission. It goes far being a stand up person in a world of jerks just doing what they want.

Top Bottom