• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So basically as this has nothing to do with IU, but the story mentions IU...the anti's will all count this as a "gun on school campus" incident, just because they think they can.

And you're absolutely right T.Lex--clickbait.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    So, this morning the Indy news outlets were even reporting on this.
    https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/h...cle_a61fd0fc-3403-11e8-bc65-97151b6f09a7.html

IU police reporting MWAG report at 15th and Dunn. Even reports that someone has been taken into custody.

Uh... it's been 25 years since I spent much time in that area, but... that's not even on campus, right?

How can IU police even be involved?

IU owns property all over the place in Bloomington. They're required to issue alerts on anything even remotely close to "campus."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The responding agency took the report. What issue are you having?

Headline reads: IU police arrest man with a handgun.

Is your first thought that he was arrested on the IU campus? What do you think most people will think?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Headline reads: IU police arrest man with a handgun.

Is your first thought that he was arrested on the IU campus? What do you think most people will think?

Aaaaaah. Okay, I misunderstood. I though you meant you had an issue with IUPD responding to the call and/or taking the report.

Yes, I can see how a lot of people might assume it meant on campus. My first thought is that IUPD arrested a man with a handgun. I made no assumptions about where it occurred. But that's me. Personally, I see no issue with the headline. It's factual. Maybe it was intended to be misleading, but I can't say it was. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Aaaaaah. Okay, I misunderstood. I though you meant you had an issue with IUPD responding to the call and/or taking the report.

Yes, I can see how a lot of people might assume it meant on campus. My first thought is that IUPD arrested a man with a handgun. I made no assumptions about where it occurred. But that's me. Personally, I see no issue with the headline. It's factual. Maybe it was intended to be misleading, but I can't say it was. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Yeah, you and me and a few other people understand that police agencies can "overlap." Most people don't know that.

Editors play the odds. (And, it is generally editors that determine headlines, not the actual reporters.) An editor will distill the facts of a story down to a few words that will create an emotional response. It is a time-honored tradition that is now summarized by the term "clickbait." :)

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Yeah, you and me and a few other people understand that police agencies can "overlap." Most people don't know that.

Editors play the odds. (And, it is generally editors that determine headlines, not the actual reporters.) An editor will distill the facts of a story down to a few words that will create an emotional response. It is a time-honored tradition that is now summarized by the term "clickbait." :)

Knowing editors, it probably was intended to create the response you described.

Sometimes it's hard for me to think how most people think, because I simply do not think that way.

"IU Police arrest man with a handgun" is simple, factual, and straightforward. Although you may be right, I still have a hard time seeing the slant in that. "IU Campus Police respond to gunman" would have also been technically true, but that headline makes me assume things that aren't true.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "IU police respond to off-campus report of armed man"

:D

ETA:
    Full disclosure - part of my sensitivity is that I am an IU alum and have 2 college age kids who specifically didn't want to go to IU because of perceived safety issues.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...How can IU police even be involved?

...and my question for you is whether an LEO from one municipality can arrest someone in another municipality. I think you know the answer.

(a) Police officers appointed under this chapter have the following powers:

(1) General police powers, including the power to arrest, without process, all persons who commit any offense within the view of the officer.
    (2) The same common law and statutory powers, privileges, and immunities, including the protections and immunities in IC 34-13-3, as state police officers, sheriffs, and constables. However, the police officers are empowered to serve civil process only to the extent authorized by the employing governing board.
    (3) The duty to enforce and to assist the officials of the educational institutions in the enforcement of the rules and regulations of the educational institution.
    (4) The duty to assist and cooperate with other law enforcement agencies and law enforcement officers.

(b) The governing board of an educational institution employing a police officer may expressly forbid the officer from exercising any powers otherwise granted to the police officer by law.

(c) If an educational institution, governing board of an educational institution, delegated office or offices of a governing board of an educational institution, or individual employed by the educational institution as a police officer acts in accordance with this chapter or engages in activities related to law enforcement:

(1) the educational institution, the governing board of an educational institution, and the delegated office or offices of the governing board of an educational institution have the same common law and statutory immunities granted to the state; and
    (2) an individual employed by the educational institution as a police officer has the same common law and statutory immunities granted to a state police officer;
    including the protections and immunities in IC 34-13-3.

(d) A record of an educational institution's police department is a public record subject to IC 5-14-3, if the record meets the requirements of IC 5-14-3-2.2.
    Ind. Code § 21-17-5-4.

...and I'll thow in as a bonus irrelevant case that takes a stab at challenging arrests by university police at religious universities, under the 1st Amendment and based upon the fact that university police are not required to have the same training as a municipal/county LEO. The defendant was a year behind me in law school.

MYERS v. STATE | FindLaw

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I remember Scott Chinn handling that case. It was in my early days of being a DAG.

Oh, and to clarify my question, it was more about proximity. My recollection of 15th and Dunn (stale, as noted in the initial post), was that it was pretty far removed from any university property. I forgot how far out Memorial Stadium was. I always think of that as Jordan, even though it is south of that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, I remember Scott Chinn handling that case. It was in my early days of being a DAG.

Oh, and to clarify my question, it was more about proximity. My recollection of 15th and Dunn (stale, as noted in the initial post), was that it was pretty far removed from any university property. I forgot how far out Memorial Stadium was. I always think of that as Jordan, even though it is south of that.

Ah...

...Anyhoo.....

rd-kmg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Monroe County
    I don't know if they edited the article since, but it looks like from what I'm reading that Bloomington city police responded and arrested the suspect, IUPD is just relaying the news.

Top Bottom