• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Can't post a link because they're subscription only, but this AM's Herald Times had a story about a student facing felony charges for a gun on school property. Apparently target shooting the previous day and stayed over at a friends house. Went to school from the friends without going home first and forgot he still had the gun with him. Other students saw the rifle in his back seat and turned him in.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Ridiculous laws have ridiculous consequences.

We may never get that one repealed... it's just too dumb to die. :n00b:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Zero tolerance is simply anti-American at it's core. It denies a person their day in court to be judged by the circumstances and their intent. Zero tolerance rules have damaged more people than it has saved or ever will save.

If they want to have a zero tolerance policy, they should not be allowed to attach a set punishment to it. Sure, tolerate zero firearms on school property, but issue punishment based on the circumstance, not on some idiots idea that one size all punishment will reduce crime. It does not. The kid should be given two days suspension for forgetting the rifle in his car and that's it. The judge should toss the case out because there was no willful intent.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I agree leaving it in plain view was a serious error, but also remember my truck parked in the high school parking lot guns on the back window rack many a day during my high school years not THAT many years ago :) ok a few years ago but zero tolerance can be a bit much.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    It used to be that we would drive to school with a rifle or a shotgun in a rear window rack.

Now we press felony charges.

Brilliant... simply brilliant.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    He's just charged right now, no telling what the final outcome will be.

I understand he's currently just charged, and I am against the guilty till proven innocent mindset, But remember this is Bloomington, and it is a gun on school property charge.

Unless the kid is a star athlete and the administration suddenly "remembers" that they engaged him to handle campus security he will be prosecuted. Heck in this town they may enlist Joe Hogsett to help persecute.

Horrible law and horrible potential outcome - but I wonder if in the worst case he is convicted, will it follow him to adult life or be sealed in his juvenile record.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Can't post a link because they're subscription only, but this AM's Herald Times had a story about a student facing felony charges for a gun on school property. Apparently target shooting the previous day and stayed over at a friends house. Went to school from the friends without going home first and forgot he still had the gun with him. Other students saw the rifle in his back seat and turned him in.

i can't find the story.....post the link i have a sub....

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I understand he's currently just charged, and I am against the guilty till proven innocent mindset, But remember this is Bloomington, and it is a gun on school property charge.

Unless the kid is a star athlete and the administration suddenly "remembers" that they engaged him to handle campus security he will be prosecuted. Heck in this town they may enlist Joe Hogsett to help persecute.

Horrible law and horrible potential outcome - but I wonder if in the worst case he is convicted, will it follow him to adult life or be sealed in his juvenile record.

I wonder this as well. I also wonder given the circumstances if it did follow him to adult life could he get it expunged or sealed? I mean it's not like they found it in his locker or something like he was planning on using it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    We have got to get these ridiculous laws changed! when are these liberal retards going to see that people with bad intent still have the intent regardless of the laws! Laws only affect those who follow the law. Criminals by definition do not follow the law!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stupid rules are because of stupid people.

As a gun owner, the kid was to be responsible to make sure he did not violate the law. He did, thus there should be consequence. Do I think it should be a felony that would take away his gun rights forever? F**K NO!

Personally, I think these school shootings would come to an end if every country boy that enjoys taking Bambi out of the woods kept their Mossberg or 870 behind the seat.

-MColford

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This may go over as well as a fart in church, but the kid was dumb.

He left a rifle in his back seat, at school no less. Really? I mean at least put it in your trunk where no one will see it. Its just not proper firearm safety to leave a weapon in open view imo. I wouldnt leave any firearm in my back seat.

Do I think this deserves to be a felony, no, it should be taken into consideration that it was a mistake. BUT a little common sense to the laws goes a long way.

Its your responsibility to know the laws of where you are, if you want to take the risk and posses or carry, fine, but you also take the responsibility of your actions if you get caught.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    We have got to get these ridiculous laws changed! when are these liberal retards going to see that people with bad intent still have the intent regardless of the laws! Laws only affect those who follow the law. Criminals by definition do not follow the law!

You'll have to fight the local, state, and feds on this one. Everyone wants be 'for the children.'

Top Bottom