• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    With the weather event we are having, what would be the minimal kit that everyone thinks would be required to survive a 24 hour period outside? Maybe think of having a car as protection and also not having any permanent structure as protection as 2 different scenarios.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I just posted as a mental exercise to see what others thought would be require to survive. I have snowmobile bibs and jacket along with gloves and hats that I toss in my truck with my BOB. I have 4 meals that are self heating with water and I usually carry 4 bottle of water. We normally carry a large bag of hand warmers in every car just in case. 1 large blanket.

If we were outside, I only have a 4x6 emergency tarp and stakes to use to block the wind and 2 emergency blankets to add to what is already in my BOB. Without some type of natural wind break, I would be in desperate trouble.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    With the weather event we are having, what would be the minimal kit that everyone thinks would be required to survive a 24 hour period outside? Maybe think of having a car as protection and also not having any permanent structure as protection as 2 different scenarios.
    I do not understand the no permanent structure requirement. In an emergency a building would make an excellent windbreak. Staying inside a vehicle would be beneficial. It blocks the wind from all directions and holds body heat inside the vehicle. I have camped in a nylon tent with 2 other people in zero temperature. It was comfortable. We did have cold weather sleeping bags. I would avoid starting the engine. There is too much of a chance of CO seeping into the vehicle.

A cell phone can be beneficial. Years ago, a woman's car slid off I-65 down a 30ft. embankment during a snowstorm. Being white the car was virtually invisible. 911 calls did not go through. But she was able to reach the Spike O'Dell show on WGN Chicago radio. Her on air call was reported to the authorities and she was rescued.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Great ideas folks! I'm taking notes.

I can add something at this time. A battery bank (or three) to keep your smart phone charged is pretty critical.

You really can't have too many of these, when you are out or even in a power outage at home. Especially helpful is the vehicle jump starter power bank that does dual duty.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why in the world would I be outside for 24 hours in a blizzard situation?

In this type of scenario, I'd just dress with as many layers as I could, and warm myself up by walking to my nearest realtor's office to put my house on the market, so that I could move someplace where the wind doesn't hurt my face.

Man, I hate winter.

:):

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Why in the world would I be outside for 24 hours in a blizzard situation?

In this type of scenario, I'd just dress with as many layers as I could, and warm myself up by walking to my nearest realtor's office to put my house on the market, so that I could move someplace where the wind doesn't hurt my face.

Man, I hate winter.

:):
    Remember several years back? People we stuck in thier car overnight. I believe it was Dec of 2016. There was one video of firefighters having to sit down and slide across the ice because it was so bad. I believe it was Greenwood Fire.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Left for work this am at 4.
    Besides my TRASH BAG. (Tactical resources and survival gear) I had a huge thermos of coffee and a dozen doughnuts. My bibs and extreme coat (the C word who forced people to get the jab so I took off all labels) full tank of gas.

So I guess I was out in the blizzard and believe I would have been fine in about any situation that would have come my way.

Since the back door to the house had the storm door the wrong hand I bought a new storm door. It is not yet installed because you know life got In The way.

Below you can tell it was cold outside if the door knob has condensed frost on the inside of the house.

Attachments

• 3C90AADF-071C-4E7E-A4DF-4AD48E320F5D.jpeg
      3C90AADF-071C-4E7E-A4DF-4AD48E320F5D.jpeg
      374.1 KB · Views: 11

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I just got referred this site a little bit ago. No idea it was out there. A lot of info here...

That's a good one I have not seen before.

There's also these: GIS property map, election results, etc.

Crime map:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I do not understand the no permanent structure requirement. In an emergency a building would make an excellent windbreak. Staying inside a vehicle would be beneficial. It blocks the wind from all directions and holds body heat inside the vehicle. I have camped in a nylon tent with 2 other people in zero temperature. It was comfortable. We did have cold weather sleeping bags. I would avoid starting the engine. There is too much of a chance of CO seeping into the vehicle.

A cell phone can be beneficial. Years ago, a woman's car slid off I-65 down a 30ft. embankment during a snowstorm. Being white the car was virtually invisible. 911 calls did not go through. But she was able to reach the Spike O'Dell show on WGN Chicago radio. Her on air call was reported to the authorities and she was rescued.
    As I said, a mental exercise. Just thinking if circumstances put you outside with no hard structure to use as protection. I wouldn’t intentionally try it.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Well I never planned for that long, but in the winter I always have at least half a tank of gas, and then depending on where I'm at and what I'm driving, shovel, tow strap, and a bite of food.

I generally always have some snacks in the car, and a jump box. In the winter I always wear footwear suitable for a long walk home.

In the current weather pattern, I am overjoyed to have no reason whatsoever to leave the house.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have a set of snowmobile bibs and jacket in the truck. Also have thick wool socks, pack boots and winter hat and gloves. Also have a sleeping bag and extra food and water. If the truck gets stuck and cannot be shoveled out, then I will stay in the truck. Have a couple candles in a tin for extra heat. That way, I can avoid running the engine and conserve fuel. candle_3oz_studiolit_generic_1__4.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Remember several years back? People we stuck in thier car overnight. I believe it was Dec of 2016. There was one video of firefighters having to sit down and slide across the ice because it was so bad. I believe it was Greenwood Fire.

Anybody have to stay outside for 24 hours?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Everyone on the road should have a car kit. Blankets, water ,flashlight/spare batteries, hat, gloves, charge cord for cellphone, snacks,first aid kit. Bug out bag with personel supplies, protection(firearm/amm0), paperback novel book, candle and or TP in a can. Small survival tube tent. Tell someone you are going, and when to get back?
    Stay home, is this trip neccasary?

I saw a reply using a woobie, and endorse that idea. I have a nylon poncho wrapped up with my woobie and in middle have basic Mora knife, firestaters, compass, state map,used paracord tie and wrap bundle like Rangers do. Lightweight and easy to add to a day pack. Also got a 2 qt army style flex canteen/cover/shoulder strap. Flex canteen and only fill 1/2 way to allow if frozen. Easy carry too. Add a couple cliff bars, all wrapped in freezer bag plastic.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Minimal kit is hard to define in this weather. I've camped out when I was young in this stuff, but came prepared and advised by people who had done it before. These days I just stay inside as much as possible.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Coldest winter ski-packing I've ever done was climbing up a mountain on x-c skis on a -5 degree day in Idaho. Got to the top and dug a snow cave to stay in overnight. When we finished the snow cave, we fired up a backpacking stove for 10 minutes to warm up the walls. Then we shut it off and let the walls freeze for 30 minutes. By the time we finished, the sun was going down and the sky was crystal clear. Temp dropped to -25 that night but no wind. Inside the snow cave was warm and toasty with just one candle for three of us.

Later that night, I went outside for a quick leak check. While doing my task, I marveled at seeing the lights of Twins Falls a 100 miles away.

Top Bottom