• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    I've found that layering is only 1 factor. I went out this afternoon just for giggles, and walked my property. I found that just layering isn't enough. The high winds snuck through every nook in crany of my heavy jacket and bibs. Adding a wind breaker did wonders to keep the wind out. Another highly recommended item was an under armor face mask combined with snowboarding goggles. The more you can cover up bare skin the better. It actually wasn't too bad once covered properly, though I'm not sure one would last long if they had to sleep un sheltered in this weather even bundled up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. 1 layer probably needs to be one that is relatively airtight. If not ZP ripstop nylon, something like Gore Tex.

In high winds, down and the like are great but not very effective if cold air is being forced through it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just got referred this site a little bit ago. No idea it was out there. A lot of info here...

In January of 2021 I was going to Michigan when we got hit with a snowstorm and was trying to decide to go or stay home. Checked out the cameras all the way up and decided to go. Conditions were just as I saw on the cameras and traffic was light, whole trip up only took about 10 extra minutes. It is handy to have this site saved...

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been out ice fishing for the weekend many times before. Friday to Sunday evening. We usually had a canvas hut, lawn chairs and maybe a heater. Couple of times we'd sleep in the bed of a truck with a camper shell on it. My buddy had a little propane heater, I had a GOOD sleeping bag. I worried about Carbon monoxide and he worried about freezing so he would turn up the heater and I'd open the window. Repeat until morning.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Went muzzle loader hunting one year in 0 degree weather. Had an oversize sleeping bag with another sleeping bag stuffed inside in a nylon tent. Toasty warm until time to get up. Beer and bottled water would be liquid until the cap was popped then it would freeze solid almost instantly. Eggs were frozen too. My buddy swore his poop froze before hitting the ground and rolled down the hill. Good times.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Keep gas in your tank! Some say 1/2 full others say 1/4. Whatever. Just don't let it get too low. I was one of those stuck on 465 that night in Dec when they shut it down for several hours. My wife and I were at a Christmas party downtown and I told her we had to leave by "X". We left about "X" plus one hour! I knew I was in trouble when I was sliding on the residential roads. I was dressed in a suit and my wife in her nice dress and less than 1/4 tank of gas. I had a down jacket and a down sleeping bag in "my bag" so we stayed warm but we could only run the car for 10 min on the hour. When traffic finally started moving, we had to drive around all the cars and trucks that had run out of gas. Keep a little extra gas in the tank!!!!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Keep gas in your tank! Some say 1/2 full others say 1/4. Whatever. Just don't let it get too low. I was one of those stuck on 465 that night in Dec when they shut it down for several hours. My wife and I were at a Christmas party downtown and I told her we had to leave by "X". We left about "X" plus one hour! I knew I was in trouble when I was sliding on the residential roads. I was dressed in a suit and my wife in her nice dress and less than 1/4 tank of gas. I had a down jacket and a down sleeping bag in "my bag" so we stayed warm but we could only run the car for 10 min on the hour. When traffic finally started moving, we had to drive around all the cars and trucks that had run out of gas. Keep a little extra gas in the tank!!!!
    Keep the damn tank full this weather. Not a little extra. Full.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I've found that layering is only 1 factor. I went out this afternoon just for giggles, and walked my property. I found that just layering isn't enough. The high winds snuck through every nook in crany of my heavy jacket and bibs. Adding a wind breaker did wonders to keep the wind out. Another highly recommended item was an under armor face mask combined with snowboarding goggles. The more you can cover up bare skin the better. It actually wasn't too bad once covered properly, though I'm not sure one would last long if they had to sleep un sheltered in this weather even bundled up.
    Rain suits make great wing breakers. Add it to you bibs and coat if they are large enough to fit over.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My extreme (C HEART) bib’s and coat are 20 years old. i bought them to hunt in and while they did not get a lot of wear the first couple years. I have worn them whenever the weather is frightful. 20 some years later the coat still stands up on it own.
    The cost spread over 20 years is minimal so a best value over time. A few barb wire scars on the pants and a tear on the back of the jacket that is small. Forest green seems to work for hunting about as well as camo. Shot many a deer in this setup When I needed to wear it. They get stored in an action packer that is probably as as old as the (c heart) with a pair of socks (wool REI) my old hunting boots (Irish setters) a set of mittens I never really wear outside of the tree stand.
    indoors I have a set of polypropylene underwear once again most likely 20 years old for army surplus. These were great and still work but they get more use and washed more often and are showing it (if the wife knew not to dry them they would have still been fine) It has a neck gator also which is great item.
    TRASH BAG EDC BAG the action packer a thermos of coffee (large) wear put the underwear on before regular clothes.

now I have a four season expedition eureka G2 dome tent that Is for mountain climbing for shelter that will hold up and kick the wind off but I don’t think I would get out of the car/suv where I know that Toyota will survive like a cockroach. I guess one could pack in and survive in it say with a pull behind kids sled with supplies and maybe even be somewhat comfortable it I pay for a house to be comfortable in.

the only thing I can think of that would get me out in a blizzard would be to retrieve a stuck family member, some type of medical emergency, maybe retrieval of the youngest at college in bean town (even then she has a warm dorm room)

below is the c heart standing tall at the front door awaiting the next trip out with the dogs who don’t like being out as long as normal the last day and I guess the rest of the weekend. The Chow Chow does not mind the outdoors even now for longer than most animals.

Attachments

• 18AB05D9-F82D-4285-A912-A373D2564313.jpeg
      18AB05D9-F82D-4285-A912-A373D2564313.jpeg
      410.7 KB · Views: 14

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Wind block clothes are a must, layers are a must(some layers just don't do any good). I went out yesterday with my hunting pants on over jeans and was quite toasty. I went out later with just jeans on & got extremely cold. I would recommend getting large latex gloves to go over your outer gloves to keep hands dry. Space blankets are a must in most scenarios along with hand warmers. can't rely on any batteries left in the car for devices over a hard winter. extra wool socks would be a good idea also.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Not really any help if you’re outside but I wonder if anyone on here has rigged something like this up? I’m no electrician or hvac guy so thoughts?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wind block clothes are a must, layers are a must(some layers just don't do any good). I went out yesterday with my hunting pants on over jeans and was quite toasty. I went out later with just jeans on & got extremely cold. I would recommend getting large latex gloves to go over your outer gloves to keep hands dry. Space blankets are a must in most scenarios along with hand warmers. can't rely on any batteries left in the car for devices over a hard winter. extra wool socks would be a good idea also.
    Rotate those out every year. They do go bad.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Not really any help if you’re outside but I wonder if anyone on here has rigged something like this up? I’m no electrician or hvac guy so thoughts?

The power for my furnace comes down from the ceiling in flexible conduit to a service switch on the side. Removed the switch and replaced it with an outlet. Attached a power cable to the wires removed from the service switch and plugged the power cable into the outlet. In case of a power failure all I have to do is unplug the power cable from the furnace outlet and plug it into the generator. Just make sure you use a Romex connector where the power cable goes through the furnace housing.
    20221224_145813.jpg
    20221224_145829.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Look at mil surplus stuff even the older items still work. Have been in the field at -15 it’s not easy. Do not get wet or sweat heavily you will get frostbite. Dress loosely in layers starting with a good base layer.

Mickey Mouse boots will save your feet and trigger finger mittens are a must. When you sleep go down to your base layer and no socks. Your bag will keep you warm.

You have to eat more than normal and drink plenty of water. In about 72 hours you will acclimatize and it won’t be as bad. My wife hated when I came in from the field she would set the heat on 67 I would be sweating.

Certain people are more prone to cold weather injuries. Once you have had one you are likely to get another.

Caucasians with light eyes and skin along with asians do better they evolved in cold climates.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Back in the mid 90's, I went camping with BSA troop 568 at Mississinewa for 3 days and 2 nights. The high temperature was below 0. The low was -32, with wind chill colder than -60.
    We had some really young boys with us, so myself and one other person went out ahead of the troop to establish a base camp. We took several bales of straw so that the boys could put half a bale under the floor of each tent. Each person would also use multiple sleeping pads and two or three sleeping bags with additional blankets. We had a cargo trailer that we ran propane heaters in to be able to change clothes. We also set up a dining tent with walls and ran a generator so we could use a salamander heater in the dining tent. We had to do this to be able to cook, since everything would freeze outside of the dining tent.
    I was wearing heavyweight polypropylene and winter weight BDUs underneath an N3B parka and F1B trousers, with gloves inside the heavy USAF mittens. I also had a helmet liner with a wool cap over that and of course, Mickey mouse boots. I stayed warm all weekend. I was also much younger then, I'm certain that it would not be as easy for me to stay warm now.

The only other troop that attempted to stay overnight at this winter Klondike decided to leave in the middle of the night, rolling up their tents with their gear inside and leaving their tent stakes in the ground.
    We got our picture on the front page of the Kokomo Tribune.

Top Bottom